Ryanair

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Ryanair

Post by Dunners »

MassiveForehead wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:34 pm Hate using them; but being forced to use them three times next year for Euro 2020; as nowhere else wants to fly from London to Rome.
I flew from London to Rome this Easter. There was a choice of different carriers from Stansted, Heathrow, Gatwick and City all offering options. In the end I went with BA from City. I also had to pay to reserve seats and book hold luggage, as well as do my own check-in and boarding pass. The service from BA was exactly the same as Ryanair.

This year I've also flown with EasyJet, Flybe and Hop. IMO they are all pretty much the same, and the short-haul budget market is oversaturated. I wouldn't be surprised to see mergers taking place over the next couple of years, as well as a few collapses. But I'd put money on Ryanair emerging from it all as the market leader in Europe.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Dunners wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:02 pm
MassiveForehead wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:34 pm Hate using them; but being forced to use them three times next year for Euro 2020; as nowhere else wants to fly from London to Rome.
I flew from London to Rome this Easter. There was a choice of different carriers from Stansted, Heathrow, Gatwick and City all offering options. In the end I went with BA from City. I also had to pay to reserve seats and book hold luggage, as well as do my own check-in and boarding pass. The service from BA was exactly the same as Ryanair.

This year I've also flown with EasyJet, Flybe and Hop. IMO they are all pretty much the same, and the short-haul budget market is oversaturated. I wouldn't be surprised to see mergers taking place over the next couple of years, as well as a few collapses. But I'd put money on Ryanair emerging from it all as the market leader in Europe.
Obviously my point is getting missed. I have no issue with paying extra for reserving seats etc. What I object to is the process of what seems deliberate separated seating should you not choose to pay (a that’ll teach the tight bastards thing ) the real addon hidden costs until you do try to select seats and the fact that you can only print return flight boarding passes in advance if you book a seat.

Pricing should be clear and up front so you choose or not and get what you pay for. All this hidden stuff is a cynical piss take. That and a website that sometimes stops you from even booking seats when you try.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:18 pm

Obviously my point is getting missed. I have no issue with paying extra for reserving seats etc. What I object to is the process of what seems deliberate separated seating should you not choose to pay (a that’ll teach the tight bastards thing ) the real addon hidden costs until you do try to select seats and the fact that you can only print return flight boarding passes in advance if you book a seat.

Pricing should be clear and up front so you choose or not and get what you pay for. All this hidden stuff is a cynical p*ss take. That and a website that sometimes stops you from even booking seats when you try.
Not an issue for most of us - as we prefer to sit apart from our wives/partners.
TheTyrant
Fresh Alias

Post by TheTyrant »

Pricing should be clear and up front so you choose or not and get what you pay for. All this hidden stuff is a cynical p*ss take. That and a website that sometimes stops you from even booking seats when you try.
It takes seconds to check in to your return flight. It's really not a massive inconvenience to do it on the second last day of your trip.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:59 pm
Millennial Snowflake wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:18 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:42 pmAs is the need to prebook seats if you want to check in for the return flight or face a £55 fee for checking in at the airport. If they don’t get you one way they will another. The alternative is to find an Internet cafe somewhere whilst away.
How hard is it to find somewhere that will print something for you whilst away? Your hotel will most likely do it. And anyway, you can get your boarding pass on your phone ffs.

I can't believe that someone with the experience of your good self, Prez Biz, is surprised that a company is looking for new ways to make as much money as possible.
The issue is not getting the boarding pass but not being able to until 48 hours before the flight home. Yet if you buy seats is 60 days before the flight. Am sure, the hotel may or may not have printing facilities and if not Internet cafes can be found but tbh when I’m on holiday I’d prefer to be doing other things than exploring how to print my boarding passes. Being the experienced person I am I like to tie up all this stuff before I go. A planning sort of thing.

I get paper copies for convenience. To use the phone when only one of you has one is a pain and you have to download their app too. So I go through, then toss the phone to my wife who brings up her copy. Sometimes a bit of paper each is easier.
It's really not that time-consuming lol, takes about 5 mins to sort out. If the hotel doesn't have a printer the staff can tell you where you can get it done - it's their job to help you

On a point of pedantry you don't need the app to use a mobile boarding pass. I just hope those paper copies are getting recycled
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

I got one flight with them and honestly didn’t think the plane was going to have enough speed to take off.
If I’m going short haul, I pay a bit extra to go with BA. flying with air Italia for the first time next week, which should be an experience.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Well said Prez. I concur.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:52 pm

How hard is it to find somewhere that will print something for you whilst away? Your hotel will most likely do it. And anyway, you can get your boarding pass on your phone ffs.

I can't believe that someone with the experience of your good self, Prez Biz, is surprised that a company is looking for new ways to make as much money as possible.
The issue is not getting the boarding pass but not being able to until 48 hours before the flight home. Yet if you buy seats is 60 days before the flight. Am sure, the hotel may or may not have printing facilities and if not Internet cafes can be found but tbh when I’m on holiday I’d prefer to be doing other things than exploring how to print my boarding passes. Being the experienced person I am I like to tie up all this stuff before I go. A planning sort of thing.

I get paper copies for convenience. To use the phone when only one of you has one is a pain and you have to download their app too. So I go through, then toss the phone to my wife who brings up her copy. Sometimes a bit of paper each is easier.
It's really not that time-consuming lol, takes about 5 mins to sort out. If the hotel doesn't have a printer the staff can tell you where you can get it done - it's their job to help you

On a point of pedantry you don't need the app to use a mobile boarding pass. I just hope those paper copies are getting recycled
Given that it took me two hours, finally using their chat help line to get it sorted from the comfort of my own study, due to their website issues I’ll stick to getting it all done before I go thanks. Call it experience.

As for the mobile phone boarding pass, one phone, two people, passing the phone back and forth. Nah, paper is easier. And it’s a bit rich moaning about four sheets of A4 when boarding a plane don’t you think.

Interestingly enough, there is a website dedicated to sorting check in issues with budget airlines, including Ryanair which came into particular criticism, Seems I’m not alone by any means. So leaving it till 48 hours before I fly home. Bad advice methinks. Take it from me, a frequent flyer. Get things sorted and leave feck all to chance
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

You may be right on the mobile boarding pass. Their web site says, once you have checked in using the mobile app the boarding pass will be downloaded to the phone. So you don’t need the app to display the boarding pass but it seems you may need it in order to get one. Who knows. Maybe you don’t but they are encouraging people to get the app. Paper is easier.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:00 pm

You may be right on the mobile boarding pass. Their web site says, once you have checked in using the mobile app the boarding pass will be downloaded to the phone. So you don’t need the app to display the boarding pass but it seems you may need it in order to get one. Who knows. Maybe you don’t but they are encouraging people to get the app. Paper is easier.
Agree with every word you have said - on this topic!

Easyjet are so much better.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Disoriented wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:27 pm

He's played a blinder on this one. A strong performance which will not go unnoticed when I get round to doing his annual boarding appraisal.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Max B Gold wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:48 pm
Disoriented wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:27 pm

He's played a blinder on this one. A strong performance which will not go unnoticed when I get round to doing his annual boarding appraisal.
Looking forward to it Max. When I get back from Lanza gottty. Though I’m betting I get on WiFi there and continue to board whilst Mrs dOh reads he book.
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

Don't forget to check in online and get your boarding pass when your on the WiFi . Its really easy.
, 😎
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Constanza wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:13 pm Don't forget to check in online and get your boarding pass when your on the WiFi . Its really easy.
, 😎
Im not sure he will be able to afford the wifi
Taking that big comfy sofa from the study
Would cost an absolute.fortune to put in
the cargo hold.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Constanza wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:13 pm Don't forget to check in online and get your boarding pass when your on the WiFi . Its really easy.
, 😎
Absolutely, could have downloaded the app and done all this on the local wifi with my iPhone. downloaded passes to the phone too. With the help of the Ryanair chat line maybe only an hour or two of aggro like today. Then maybe pay over a potentially public unsecured network with my credit card. Great idea. Job done. What can be a better way to spend your holiday time.

Alternatively I could have done what I did, got it sorted before I go and use holiday time to have fun.

I’ll do it my way, all sorted, passes in the bag and nothing to worry about other than having fun. Don’t have to plan days out around the need to check in either.

Nice.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:20 pm
, 😎
Absolutely, could have downloaded the app and done all this on the local wifi with my iPhone. downloaded passes to the phone too. With the help of the Ryanair chat line maybe only an hour or two of aggro like today. Then maybe pay over a potentially public unsecured network with my credit card. Great idea. Job done. What can be a better way to spend your holiday time.

Alternatively I could have done what I did, got it sorted before I go and use holiday time to have fun.

I’ll do it my way, all sorted, passes in the bag and nothing to worry about other than having fun. Don’t have to plan days out around the need to check in either.

Nice.
Sounds like that holiday can't come soon enough for you. Where about in Lanzarote you going. I'm off there soon.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

I have flown with them three times twice my flight was delayed for more than 3 hours the final time my flight was cancelled due to the lightning strikes at Stanstead. some how though they were the only company who couldn't get flights into Stansted the first alternative flight they said we might have got on was 2 1/2 days later. As a company they can eff off I'd rather not make my journey than use them.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Max B Gold wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:46 pm
, 😎

Nice.
Sounds like that holiday can't come soon enough for you. Where about in Lanzarote you going. I'm off there soon.
Playa Blanca. Been there before and really enjoyed it. Trying a different hotel this time, should be OK. Lots of decent walks, though the nudist beach is definitely worth a miss, old guys strutting their stuff last time. Hot weather, cold beer plus the odd trip. Where about you going Max.

I’m assuming I get there with the strikes.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:45 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:46 pm

Nice.
Playa Blanca. Been there before and really enjoyed it. Trying a different hotel this time, should be OK. Lots of decent walks, though the nudist beach is definitely worth a miss, old guys strutting their stuff last time. Hot weather, cold beer plus the odd trip. Where about you going Max.

I’m assuming I get there with the strikes.
Playa Blanca
Forty-Niner
Fresh Alias

Post by Forty-Niner »

I find the Ryanair website very easy to use. It clearly explains that if you do not reserve seats you can only check in two days before the flight.
However if you do reserve seats you are able to check in online and print your tickets up to 60 days before flights.
They have a fleet of modern aircraft with an efficient and courteous cabin crew and have the best punctuality record of any airline in Europe.
I fly over for Orient matches, arriving Monday for the Crewe game and will be returning on Sunday after the Colchester match.
The return fare, including seat reservations is £36. The cheapest alternative airline is £148.
If that's what dOh Nut calls a cynical p*ss take then i'm happy to be the victim.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Forty-Niner wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:36 am I find the Ryanair website very easy to use. It clearly explains that if you do not reserve seats you can only check in two days before the flight.
However if you do reserve seats you are able to check in online and print your tickets up to 60 days before flights.
They have a fleet of modern aircraft with an efficient and courteous cabin crew and have the best punctuality record of any airline in Europe.
I fly over for Orient matches, arriving Monday for the Crewe game and will be returning on Sunday after the Colchester match.
The return fare, including seat reservations is £36. The cheapest alternative airline is £148.
If that's what dOh Nut calls a cynical p*ss take then i'm happy to be the victim.
The website fine? Really. I went on and paid for out and return, entered card etc only to find the return had not registered, despite ticking the payment box. The system don’t seem to like doing out and back in one cycle. No problem, So went through again and did the return again. All the way to the end, paid, got timed out.

No problem, waited 15 minutes as told and started again. Got right through to the end, card details, payment checking etc and timed out again despite being pretty quick second time. Now I’m wondering if the system is taking my money before timing out. Have I paid 2 times?

Another wait, another keying in card details, another payment processing check, another time out. Card details now entered three times. So wait an hour, same cycle, fast input, timed out. Getting the picture.

So now I’ve entered my card 4 times, been through the checking payment bit 4 times and the system still tells me I need to check in. And what has been taken from my card? Expensive seats? Claims?

Each cycle results in an itinerary email, fortunately I went through theses worked out no money appears to have been taken. But I’ll be checking my credit card statement for sure.

Fifth time I used their chat process, typed in details requested, they then booked the seats and passed me to the payment screen again, which worked. Wow, two hours entered card details 5 times and I’ve got my seats. Wonderful system.

Had it have worked it would have been simple, not complex, other than getting timed out, without the option to continue with more time if needed. Smart programming. No, crap programming they need to look at other time-based ordering systems.

The first time out was probably due to entering API stuff and ploughing through all the offers for cars, insurance and hotels. Having timed out once, the system just repeated it again and again and again. I ain’t slow on a keyboard. A glitch.

So repeated goes and two plus hours. The help line couldn’t give me the seats I wanted, so gave us different ones, no problem. By now I’d take anything at any price just to check in. But when we later checked the ones we wanted were still available. Seems he couldn’t get them either. A little allocation system glitch methinks. When is an available sear not available. On Ryanair. I suspect that having tried to book them 2 hours earlier their system had them pending allocation so they looked available but were flagged as in the process of being allocated. Which couldn’t be completed due to the time out glitch.

There is also a bug when you auto fill the billing name and address. The town disappears when you check the tick box accepting terms, so has to be re-entered. Post code is fine though. Poor programming. But a minor irritation.

It is also not clear about booking in return flights. Some airlines have the time limit for checking in outbound, often 2 days like Ryanair, however once ready your are then allowed to do both at the same time. You can only do this with Ryanair if you reserve your seat, 60 days. That is certainly not clear. If like me the seats allocation didn’t matter, then you cannot do the return flight, in my case until away, inconvenient. Hence why we paid, see the cycle above.

Basically if you pay to reserves seats both ways, sweet, if you don’t then expect to go through the check in process twice. A subtle difference which is not clear. Not made any clearer by the preflight email which tells you it’s free to check in your flights up to two hours before or pay £55 at the airport. Only clear once you know. Not clear if you don’t.

Interestingly not being bothered about seat allocation on a short flight didn’t bother reserving at first. So despite being far from full plane their allocation system ensured me and my partner were about as far away from each other as possible. That’ll learn me. Never experienced that before.

As for price. with booking £170 return per ticket to Lanzarote. If I was paying £50 each I’d be less critical as well. That price is nothing special.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

dOh Nut wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:40 am
Forty-Niner wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:36 am I find the Ryanair website very easy to use. It clearly explains that if you do not reserve seats you can only check in two days before the flight.
The website fine? Really. I went on and paid for out and return, entered card etc only to find the return had not registered, despite ticking the payment box. The system don’t seem to like doing out and back in one cycle. No problem, So went through again and did the return again. All the way to the end, paid, got timed out.

No problem, waited 15 minutes as told and started again. Got right through to the end, card details, payment checking etc and timed out again despite being pretty quick second time. Now I’m wondering if the system is taking my money before timing out. Have I paid 2 times?

Another wait, another keying in card details, another payment processing check, another time out. Card details now entered three times. So wait an hour, same cycle, fast input, timed out. Getting the picture.

So now I’ve entered my card 4 times, been through the checking payment bit 4 times and the system still tells me I need to check in. And what has been taken from my card? Expensive seats? Claims?

Each cycle results in an itinerary email, fortunately I went through theses worked out no money appears to have been taken. But I’ll be checking my credit card statement for sure.

Fifth time I used their chat process, typed in details requested, they then booked the seats and passed me to the payment screen again, which worked. Wow, two hours entered card details 5 times and I’ve got my seats. Wonderful system.

Had it have worked it would have been simple, not complex, other than getting timed out, without the option to continue with more time if needed. Smart programming. No, crap programming they need to look at other time-based ordering systems.

The first time out was probably due to entering API stuff and ploughing through all the offers for cars, insurance and hotels. Having timed out once, the system just repeated it again and again and again. I ain’t slow on a keyboard. A glitch.

So repeated goes and two plus hours. The help line couldn’t give me the seats I wanted, so gave us different ones, no problem. By now I’d take anything at any price just to check in. But when we later checked the ones we wanted were still available. Seems he couldn’t get them either. A little allocation system glitch methinks. When is an available sear not available. On Ryanair. I suspect that having tried to book them 2 hours earlier their system had them pending allocation so they looked available but were flagged as in the process of being allocated. Which couldn’t be completed due to the time out glitch.

There is also a bug when you auto fill the billing name and address. The town disappears when you check the tick box accepting terms, so has to be re-entered. Post code is fine though. Poor programming. But a minor irritation.

It is also not clear about booking in return flights. Some airlines have the time limit for checking in outbound, often 2 days like Ryanair, however once ready your are then allowed to do both at the same time. You can only do this with Ryanair if you reserve your seat, 60 days. That is certainly not clear. If like me the seats allocation didn’t matter, then you cannot do the return flight, in my case until away, inconvenient. Hence why we paid, see the cycle above.

Basically if you pay to reserves seats both ways, sweet, if you don’t then expect to go through the check in process twice. A subtle difference which is not clear. Not made any clearer by the preflight email which tells you it’s free to check in your flights up to two hours before or pay £55 at the airport. Only clear once you know. Not clear if you don’t.

Interestingly not being bothered about seat allocation on a short flight didn’t bother reserving at first. So despite being far from full plane their allocation system ensured me and my partner were about as far away from each other as possible. That’ll learn me. Never experienced that before.

As for price. with booking £170 return per ticket to Lanzarote. If I was paying £50 each I’d be less critical as well. That price is nothing special.
I could have flown to Lanzarote in the time it has taken me to read this post.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

dOh Nut wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:40 am

Hmmmm - You also used to have a lot of trouble with "reply with quote" on here. There seems to be a lot of these websites that are badly designed. :twisted: :twisted:
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Puzzling when you consider his extensive IT background.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:42 pmAs is the need to prebook seats if you want to check in for the return flight or face a £55 fee for checking in at the airport. If they don’t get you one way they will another. The alternative is to find an Internet cafe somewhere whilst away.

I can't print something at home, I've never used an internet cafe', cruise liners won't do it for you, don't know how to use my phone to get boarding pass on it. my expertease lies elsewhere, not in IT, cut the expletive