Ryanair

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Ryanair

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Anybody used this mob? After years of travelling booked a trip, Ryanair was the flight carrier. What a load of rubbish this company is.

If you don’t pay the extra for selecting seats you get separated, by a long way, from your partner despite the plane being half full. Great ploy to squeeze a few extra quid. So we pay. £7 per seat until you select seats and then most are more expensive. Drag you in with the low one but you will pay more.

Then to check in on the return flight you either pay the seat extra or wait until 48 hours before the return flight difficult when away. So they get you there unless you want to spend time finding somewhere able to print stuff off whilst away. if however you check in at the airport on return it’s £55.

Then going through all the aggro do their check in service and having paid the money, the seats selected for the return aren’t done. So have we paid for nothing? So we try again, enter card details and the system times out. So have we paid twice?

We now need to go in again, not knowing if we have paid once or twice and no doubt will enter again.

Shambles. Ryanair. Never again.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Ryanair

Post by Long slender neck »

Money talks.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Have you flown yet? Should add that if not the standard cabin baggage size is a 40 cm bag, so be careful if you are planning on taking one of the small wheely cases as most are 55cm.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Would never fly with them, but all the airlines are at it. I've had it with Easyjet and flying BA next year who want £30 pp to select seats.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

They're a f*cking horrible company but it's pretty much impossible to avoid flying with them on some occasions, as much as I try to do so.

However I don't understand how it can be so hard to print off a boarding pass so you don't have to pay to check-in at the airport. Not that you even have to nowadays as you can just get it on your phone.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

All airlines do the low flight cost stuff, with add-ons for baggage, legroom etc. On this flight, 4 hours, no big deal if we sit apart. Done this before with other airlines on short flights and never sat apart. That the flight is far from full suggests to me it’s a policy to squeeze a few more quid from people. The £55 to print boarding passes at the airport, shocking.

Just tried to check in for the return flight, went through the whole process again, entered card details for a third time, then get to the end and the session times out. Jeez

Go number 4 in an hour I guess.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:10 pm They're a f*cking horrible company but it's pretty much impossible to avoid flying with them on some occasions, as much as I try to do so.

However I don't understand how it can be so hard to print off a boarding pass so you don't have to pay to check-in at the airport. Not that you even have to nowadays as you can just get it on your phone.
Interesting small print somewhere they say they must be printed. Didn’t look too much into it, always print anyway even with an electronic copy on my phone.
burritos
Fresh Alias

Post by burritos »

There's been enough publicity about this company over the years so why are people still surprised when they're treated like cattle ? Avoid like the plague.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I'm fine with them. So long as you follow instructions, there shouldn't be a problem.

They maintain a relatively new fleet of 737s, have an excellent safety record and more often than not get you to your destination on time. Even if they don't, the fault is often with the airport or ATC. That's the basics of a airline company sorted, and all the extras you can pay for if you choose.

They're no frills, and you get what you pay for.
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

No worse than anyone else now, AA, BA and most of the other charge you for everything now days including seat selection
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Magic. After 4 times on their web-site. Going through the whole process, selecting seats, paying then getting timed out, the last time after a 45 minute gap before logging on from scratch. Finally used their chat line who booked the seats and transferred us to the payment screen. Though strangely the seat prices went up for this service. And the seats we wanted were apparently booked, but they ain’t on their web-site so we got others. Probably our previous attempts put them in a pending state. Good website? No.

Just hope now the plane goes, Ryanair pilots on strike the day we go and the day we come back. Though they claim the strike thus far has not affected flights, average delay 20 minutes.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

l don't mind if i get seated away from the missus ......it gives my lug holes a rest 🤣🤣 never used Ryanair but most of the carriers i use charge to be sure of sitting together 🤔🤔
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Dunners wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:15 pm I'm fine with them. So long as you follow instructions, there shouldn't be a problem.

They maintain a relatively new fleet of 737s, have an excellent safety record and more often than not get you to your destination on time. Even if they don't, the fault is often with the airport or ATC. That's the basics of a airline company sorted, and all the extras you can pay for if you choose.

They're no frills, and you get what you pay for.
Huge difference between shouldn’t and is. The issue is how they handle the extras. For sure all airlines do this so no big deal. But it’s bloody irritating when we are not too bothered about pre-booking seats that despite a half empty plane me and Mrs dOh find ourselves at opposite end of the plane. Cynical money grabbing. Making a point is what they are doing.

As is the need to prebook seats if you want to check in for the return flight or face a £55 fee for checking in at the airport. If they don’t get you one way they will another. The alternative is to find an Internet cafe somewhere whilst away.

That is something I’ve never experienced before.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

The real cost to them of checking you in is probably about 50p.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

How on a half full flight do you not get
to sit next to your partner ?

That i find very hard to believe

Youre not going to be picking anyone up along the way
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:54 pm How on a half full flight do you not get

Not sitting next to my partner tbh is no big deal. On longer flights we pay to select our seats, pretty standard. Short flights, we can survive not being next to each other. So being separated was no big deal, except when we went on the site we found, despite plenty of space, we had been allocated some way apart. So we paid. Even then they quote a price per seat, yet logging on the reality is if you do want to sit together it cost us £26 rather than the £14 we expected

Not too fussed about the money, but they seem very ‘creative’ when squeezing a few extra quid and makes me feel like I’m being taken for a fool.

Other airlines I’ve used are very clear about seat prices, including extra leg room etc, up front.

That to me seems quite cynical. Certainly not something we’ve ever experienced before.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:42 pmAs is the need to prebook seats if you want to check in for the return flight or face a £55 fee for checking in at the airport. If they don’t get you one way they will another. The alternative is to find an Internet cafe somewhere whilst away.
How hard is it to find somewhere that will print something for you whilst away? Your hotel will most likely do it. And anyway, you can get your boarding pass on your phone ffs.

I can't believe that someone with the experience of your good self, Prez Biz, is surprised that a company is looking for new ways to make as much money as possible.
MassiveForehead
Fresh Alias

Post by MassiveForehead »

Hate using them; but being forced to use them three times next year for Euro 2020; as nowhere else wants to fly from London to Rome.
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

I have taken nearly a hundred Ryan Air flights.
Just follow the system
- open a account and save all your and companions details, passport etc
- book any seats bags etc AT THE TIME of initial booking - it's very cheap then. It only gets expensive when you add on this nearer flying
- download Ryan Air app on your and companions phone - nearly all airports accept app boarding pass instead of printed. You can check in via the app on your trip.
- screen shot your boarding passes as well
- travel as light as possible and if your not bothered about where you sit then it costs nothing extra
- don't buy the scratchcards you never win on them 😁
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:14 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:54 pm How on a half full flight do you not get

Not sitting next to my partner tbh is no big deal. On longer flights we pay to select our seats, pretty standard. Short flights, we can survive not being next to each other. So being separated was no big deal, except when we went on the site we found, despite plenty of space, we had been allocated some way apart. So we paid. Even then they quote a price per seat, yet logging on the reality is if you do want to sit together it cost us £26 rather than the £14 we expected

Not too fussed about the money, but they seem very ‘creative’ when squeezing a few extra quid and makes me feel like I’m being taken for a fool.

Other airlines I’ve used are very clear about seat prices, including extra leg room etc, up front.

That to me seems quite cynical. Certainly not something we’ve ever experienced before.
Ive used them plenty of times & dont think weve ever
Booked seats & pretty much always sat next to whoever we were with
Last edited by tuffers#1 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Nutty, have you never flown apart from on package holidays before? All the airlines are like Ryan Air (but they are the worst IMO). Everyone charges for everything. As Constanza says, do it up front and its (a) cheaper and (b) definitely less hassle.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:18 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:42 pmAs is the need to prebook seats if you want to check in for the return flight or face a £55 fee for checking in at the airport. If they don’t get you one way they will another. The alternative is to find an Internet cafe somewhere whilst away.
How hard is it to find somewhere that will print something for you whilst away? Your hotel will most likely do it. And anyway, you can get your boarding pass on your phone ffs.

I can't believe that someone with the experience of your good self, Prez Biz, is surprised that a company is looking for new ways to make as much money as possible.
The issue is not getting the boarding pass but not being able to until 48 hours before the flight home. Yet if you buy seats is 60 days before the flight. Am sure, the hotel may or may not have printing facilities and if not Internet cafes can be found but tbh when I’m on holiday I’d prefer to be doing other things than exploring how to print my boarding passes. Being the experienced person I am I like to tie up all this stuff before I go. A planning sort of thing.

I get paper copies for convenience. To use the phone when only one of you has one is a pain and you have to download their app too. So I go through, then toss the phone to my wife who brings up her copy. Sometimes a bit of paper each is easier.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

LittleMate wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:58 pm Nutty, have you never flown apart from on package holidays before? All the airlines are like Ryan Air (but they are the worst IMO). Everyone charges for everything. As Constanza says, do it up front and its (a) cheaper and (b) definitely less hassle.
Traveled all over the world. Next year got USA and AUS booked. Done loads of airlines and plenty of websites. No issue with the extras, in fact there is a logic to paying only for what you want. And of course airlines vary. My Qantas bookings include seat selection and one 30kg bag in the price whether you want it or not, while Virgin to the USA offer seats as an extra £50 each. which we have used and 20kg luggage. Of course this just keeps the headline price low for competitive reasons. Both offer additional luggage for a price, fair enough.

We found there websites to be very clear about pricing up front.

Ryanair. First you are penalised if you don’t book a seat in terms of check in flexibility. Then when you do decide to pay you find out that the £7 seats are scattered about but if you want to pay £13 or £19 then you have a better chance of sitting together. We paid for the return flight seats, just to be able to preprint the boarding passes, yet still couldn’t sit together. Despite many free seats, because choosing them cost more.

So we paid more. Flight prices up by 15% just so we could book in when convenient. And not obvious on their website. The small print stuff
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

I would rather fly with Ryanair than most other operators. Stansted is easy to get to, least delays, cheap as chips (especially if you don't have a bag) and if you really want to sit next to someone claim they need assistance which I do with my dad who can't get down stairs too easily. When I travel alone on less full flights I often get moved to the seats with more legroom in the middle.

Made a number of day and overnight trips to Dublin in recent years with them. OK, it is nicer to travel out of City Airport, but it costs a bit more. As for Heathrow and Gatwick, I avoid like the plague. Spend more time going through security and the shopping centre than on the flight. Used to fly from City to Frankfurt or Amsterdam rather than deal with Heathrow and Gatwick. And a 90 minute each way taxi journey to each.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Must be a slow News day

Isnt there just a ryanair song you could have posted Doh & got a few chuckles & likes on ?