Turley, Dayton and McAnuff

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Re: Turley, Dayton and McAnuff

Post by Disoriented »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:24 am Dayton didn’t look particularly good last season. He wasn’t the same player, for me, after the serious knee injury. And now he’s coming back from a serious ankle injury. The contracts a massive risk
The contract’s a massive folly.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

whittle81 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:19 am
RedO wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:14 am
whittle81 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:34 am

Should Dayton who has a serious injury, have been just cast aside?
He wouldn’t have been cast aside. His contract would have expired.
Yes true, but he was injured playing for us, would you not want the club to at least give him a contract until he is fit?
Why? We are not a charity.
Hedmans Header
Fresh Alias

Post by Hedmans Header »

Unbelievable that we are now saying we are giving injured players contracts
for " sentimental reasons", so my hard earnt wage is providing a living to players
i will not see play improve my clubs chances of winning a football match every
week..
Even Michael Simpson who was brilliant during our 2006 promotion season was
only given monthly contracts the following season to prove his fitness..
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Sid Bishop wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:23 am
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:04 am
whittle81 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 am Dayton got a serious injury very near the end of his contract while being in the 1st 11, would it have been very harsh to not off him another contract?
I was saying in the summer that we should have thought of the contracts expiring as opportunities to improve the team and squad. Much easier to do this when you don't have a lot of unnecessary contracts on the books.
We had won the League thus gaining promotion, so somewhat hard to not reward the players who had just gained promotion. Turley's injury seems like it was an unexpected one and Jobi going onto the coaching staff seemed a good move. James Dayton being kept on for a one year contract, well that was an awkward one, would have been rather harsh to not offer him something after his bad injury near the end of the season. The tragic death of Justin was obviously one that affected everyone associated with Leyton Orient, so this season is all about gradually gaining some sort of stability and retaining our place in Division 2.
Why do you need to reward players though just because they are out of contract if they wouldn't necessarily help us in the division we've been promoted into?
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:12 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:04 am

I was saying in the summer that we should have thought of the contracts expiring as opportunities to improve the team and squad. Much easier to do this when you don't have a lot of unnecessary contracts on the books.
We had won the League thus gaining promotion, so somewhat hard to not reward the players who had just gained promotion. Turley's injury seems like it was an unexpected one and Jobi going onto the coaching staff seemed a good move. James Dayton being kept on for a one year contract, well that was an awkward one, would have been rather harsh to not offer him something after his bad injury near the end of the season. The tragic death of Justin was obviously one that affected everyone associated with Leyton Orient, so this season is all about gradually gaining some sort of stability and retaining our place in Division 2.
Why do you need to reward players though just because they are out of contract if they wouldn't necessarily help us in the division we've been promoted into?
With the injured Dayton, the sort of owners we have, they were hardly not going to try to help him.
As to the rest, management made the judgments as to who to keep on, that is what they are paid for. Of course the benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing and also if JE had still have been alive, different decisions in retention and recruitment might well have been made.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

There is an argument for retaining Dayton, for definite. I wouldn’t want him as first choice but he could be considered adequate as cover, he is a massive character and brings positivity to the changing room, retaining him keeps the title winning squad together, letting him go may have impacted the morale of the rest of the squad if they thought it unjust, presumably his wages are down on what they were given his circumstances. All of that is valid.

Suggesting it’s done out of charity is a joke.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Sid Bishop wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:26 pm

With the injured Dayton, the sort of owners we have, they were hardly not going to try to help him.
As to the rest, management made the judgments as to who to keep on, that is what they are paid for. Of course the benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing and also if JE had still have been alive, different decisions in retention and recruitment might well have been made.
Edinburgh dying isn't the reason as contract offers were extended (excluding Brill) before he sadly died, so saying that was a reason is just not true. Also are you saying that the owners were the ones that offered Dayton a contract, not the football management?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

The sort of owners we have? These are hard nosed businessmen. They will have let hundreds, thousands of people go in their career.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:44 pm

Edinburgh dying isn't the reason as contract offers were extended (excluding Brill) before he sadly died, so saying that was a reason is just not true. Also are you saying that the owners were the ones that offered Dayton a contract, not the football management?
Perhaps if you want the answer to all your questions, then write a letter to Martin Ling, he will have far more idea of why all these decisions were made and for what reasons. Dont expect a reply though !!
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Sid Bishop wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:53 pm

Perhaps if you want the answer to all your questions, then write a letter to Martin Ling, he will have far more idea of why all these decisions were made and for what reasons. Dont expect a reply though !!
He doesn’t reply to mine Sid.😉
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Disoriented wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Wonder why that is !!
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

If you're telling me that Edinburgh had no say then you are talking rubbish.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Sid Bishop wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:12 pm
Wonder why that is !!
Because he didn't write any and you are being gullible.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:24 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:12 pm

Wonder why that is !!
Because he didn't write any and you are being gullible.
Think again fella.
Constantine
Fresh Alias

Post by Constantine »

McAnuff spent the last three months of last season playing with a groin injury that he only had surgery on just before the start of this season. Even if he was 27 that recovery would take a while.

Dayton must've been offered peanuts to sign a new contract as he took a long time to sign it. If he gets back fit I do think he could an asset, he was excellent in the first half of last season. Someone who likes putting crosses in would certainly help our strikers. That said I wouldn't have offered him a contract.

Turley signed in January and got injured 3 times between then and the end of the season. Odd that people are questioning re-signing Dayton because of his injury problems but not Turley.

Wouldn't have signed either of them. Though I couldn't tell you who we should've signed instead.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

RedO wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:46 pm The sort of owners we have? These are hard nosed businessmen. They will have let hundreds, thousands of people go in their career.
If you read the Travis book you will see just how true that is. Good people too by his account.

Footballers know the sort of business they are in and the risks they take. Not much different to the many self employed people who have contracts to do a job. And do it well. When the contract ends they may not get offered another so move on.
P&O
Fresh Alias

Post by P&O »

What I want to know is why Harrold was offered a new contract. Surely his job at Orient had been done? He scored a few goals in that tinpot cup and managed a few league goals during his 15 minute cameos. He was an alright bench striker in the conference. Who on earth decided that he’d be adequate back up in league 2?

As it stands, our back up striker options are Harrold and Alabi. Woeful.

I find it hard to believe that an improvement on Harrold could not be found. Even a loan signing or something.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

P&O wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:08 am What I want to know is why Harrold was offered a new contract. Surely his job at Orient had been done? He scored a few goals in that tinpot cup and managed a few league goals during his 15 minute cameos. He was an alright bench striker in the conference. Who on earth decided that he’d be adequate back up in league 2?

As it stands, our back up striker options are Harrold and Alabi. Woeful.

I find it hard to believe that an improvement on Harrold could not be found. Even a loan signing or something.
Agreed, I think the management team didn't quite get the balance right between personality and quality when deciding on who to offer contracts to.
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

I can imagine the uproar on here if Dayton had been discarded in the circumstances he was in. It would have been incredibly cruel.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

DuvB wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:23 am I can imagine the uproar on here if Dayton had been discarded in the circumstances he was in. It would have been incredibly cruel.
It’s a cruel world out there and not just in football. Travis has dumped lots of people in his career. Why is football any different. And we would not have dumped him. His contract had expired Choose not to renew is very different.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

dOh Nut wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:02 am
DuvB wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:23 am I can imagine the uproar on here if Dayton had been discarded in the circumstances he was in. It would have been incredibly cruel.
It’s a cruel world out there and not just in football. Travis has dumped lots of people in his career. Why is football any different. And we would not have dumped him. His contract had expired Choose not to renew is very different.
I have a feeling that when it comes to dealings with Leyton Orient football Club, its something that Travis loves and has a more personal connection with the players and all concerned with the running of it. Non of us know what the financial terms were of the one year contract extension were for Dayton and agree with DuvB post on this one.
Last edited by Sid Bishop on Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

dOh Nut wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:02 am
Working in recruitment, we know plenty of 'hire and fire' companies and so do the candidates. Looking after staff (and this includes footballers) is definitely a selling point. Following the Bury fiasco, footballers are even more aware of the need to be with a stable, caring club - like Leyton Orient.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Give over. A footballer knows his contract is for the period he signs up for. It's impossible to consider beyond that for numerous reasons.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:43 pm
RedO wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:46 pm The sort of owners we have? These are hard nosed businessmen. They will have let hundreds, thousands of people go in their career.
If you read the Travis book you will see just how true that is. Good people too by his account.

Footballers know the sort of business they are in and the risks they take. Not much different to the many self employed people who have contracts to do a job. And do it well. When the contract ends they may not get offered another so move on.
Yes all well and good when he is running his businesses but being the owner of Leyton Orient football club is his love, passion and hobby.
It is also something that loses money so he is not in it purely for the purpose of making lots of money. No doubt he knows all the footballers, staff and their families on a personal level so agree with DuvB that I should imagine that Dayton was kept on because of his injury near the end of the season, that he was quite a good player and also knowing he would be out for a while, so not really a hard business related decision, more of a case of looking after him while he recovers and hoping to get perhaps more than half a season of playing out of him. Whatever, I think it was the right decision to stand by the player at that time.