Phil Parkinson

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Re: Phil Parkinson

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:32 am
Byways1 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:48 pm
Lucky7 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:41 pm Justin Edinburgh’s first 8 games in charge

W3 D2 L3

Where you asking for his head as well?
There you go being an idiot again.
JE had a track record and success at non league level.
Yet even with that experience it took time with players to get results rolling through .
One difference of course is Ross has worked with most of the players for a long time and inherited a championship winning squad full of confidence. Justin inherited a shambles going Down. Different league of course and sad event. Difficult to compare
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Lucky7 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:41 pm Justin Edinburgh’s first 8 games in charge

W3 D2 L3

Where you asking for his head as well?
Yet even with that experience it took time with players to get results rolling through .
Tuffers don’t bother I think he’s in his own personal sink hole
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Phil Parkinson is an experienced manager, thats for sure, but he's been sacked a lot of times......do we want another failed manager once again?
With the players we have, I'm not sure Pep Guardiola would be winning much with them........they are mainly ( not all), not good enough, & lack quality.
Im not sure if the jump from level 5 football, to level 4 football caught a few people out, but the difference is there to be seen by everyone.
Ross seems a fish out of water to be honest. He's a trier but he just hasnt got it, and we do need another captain to steer the ship out of the rocky waters, we seem to be heading towards, but Im definitely not sure that Mr Parkinson is the right man to do it.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

dOh Nut wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:11 pm
O my gawd wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:21 am
dOh Nut wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:50 am I expect he could still be the boss in 18 months, short of an absolute disaster.
You would love that wouldn't you ?
It would give you 18 months of tedious moaning.
Learn to read my friend. I’ve been overly supportive of Ross, OTT at times, ask Sid. My position is consistent. I don’t believe his appointment was right, the soft option, but he is our head coach and as such I would love him to succeed.

I believe the club will accept moderate results and stick with him unless either he chooses to jump or we drop dangerously low on the table. I doubt there is any “set” number of games or a timeframe for a decision.

And why are moderate results acceptable. I reckon the owners are happy with a few seasons consolidation in L2 before promotion ambitions ramp up. Gradual team building, losing the likes of Alabi and other weak links, being replaced by better players. Evolution not revolution.
@dOh Nut I quote ''Learn to read my friend. I’ve been overly supportive of Ross, OTT at times, ask Sid. My position is consistent. I don’t believe his appointment was right, the soft option, but he is our head coach and as such I would love him to succeed.''
To be fair, you were one of many who got very excited that night and yes it WAS exciting, to turn a 2-0 halftime deficit into a 3-0 win and all that in an away game !! Now you and others are back to thinking a bit more long term and clearly.
Will Ross make the grade as a Manager, my gut feeling is NO, but I remain to be proved wrong. Speaking for myself, he just does not seem cut out for the job and apart from that one game, his tactics and substitutions have done little to inspire confidence in him. I would prefer a good established manager with a decent track record of managing football teams and inspiring players to get 100% out of them, problem is though, that many other clubs also looking for similar good managers.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:14 pm Phil Parkinson is an experienced manager, thats for sure, but he's been sacked a lot of times......do we want another failed manager once again?
With the players we have, I'm not sure Pep Guardiola would be winning much with them........they are mainly ( not all), not good enough, & lack quality.
Im not sure if the jump from level 5 football, to level 4 football caught a few people out, but the difference is there to be seen by everyone.
Ross seems a fish out of water to be honest. He's a trier but he just hasnt got it, and we do need another captain to steer the ship out of the rocky waters, we seem to be heading towards, but Im definitely not sure that Mr Parkinson is the right man to do it.
Agree about Ross seeming to be a fish out of water but could Danny or Jobi do better ?
Jobi cannot be considered yet as I understand he needs to get all his full coaching qualifications.

Funny that when you get back through the years, these football coaching badges were not required to be a manager. For one example, Bertie Mee, injury cut short his career as a footballer, so he got trained as a physiotherapist before joining Arsenal in 1960. After the sacking of Billy Wright in 1966, Arsenal asked Mee to become manager, a highly surprising move, perhaps even to the man himself; Mee asked for a get-out clause for him to return to physiotherapist after twelve months if it didn't work out. Mee recruited Dave Sexton and Don Howe as his assistants, in order to make up for any tactical shortcomings of his own. Mee went onto become one of the most successful Arsenal managers, even winning the league and cup double in 1971. Mee's strong point was his man management and motivation skills, he left the coaching and much of the football tactical know how down to Don Howe and Dave Sexton.
P&O
Fresh Alias

Post by P&O »

Sid Bishop wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:43 pm
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:14 pm Phil Parkinson is an experienced manager, thats for sure, but he's been sacked a lot of times......do we want another failed manager once again?
Agree about Ross seeming to be a fish out of water but could Danny or Jobi do better ?
Jobi cannot be considered yet as I understand he needs to get all his full coaching qualifications.

Funny that when you get back through the years, these football coaching badges were not required to be a manager. For one example, Bertie Mee, injury cut short his career as a footballer, so he got trained as a physiotherapist before joining Arsenal in 1960. After the sacking of Billy Wright in 1966, Arsenal asked Mee to become manager, a highly surprising move, perhaps even to the man himself; Mee asked for a get-out clause for him to return to physiotherapist after twelve months if it didn't work out. Mee recruited Dave Sexton and Don Howe as his assistants, in order to make up for any tactical shortcomings of his own. Mee went onto become one of the most successful Arsenal managers, even winning the league and cup double in 1971. Mee's strong point was his man management and motivation skills, he left the coaching and much of the football tactical know how down to Don Howe and Dave Sexton.
What’s Bertie up to these days? Maybe we could get him down at Orient
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

People said that they players weren't good enough last season. Using the right tactics can transform a team. This group of players is certainly good enough for a good showing this year, and I think they could trouble the top 7, but there are a lot of variables at play. The effect of the summer's events, an inexperienced coaching set up and having to deal with losing games after such a successful season are all playing their part. Once we find some consistency, we will be okay.
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

No need to pull the trigger on Ross yet. Give the bloke some time.

Yes, Swindon were way in front of us. You could tell before kick-off they had their tails up, just by the number of away fans - never known them bring anywhere that many before - it's usually 3-700

Of course, the usual shouts for managers who have failed multiple times elsewhere, (like Parkinson) but I'm sure T&T will have more patience.
We have played 7 games ffs.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

P&O wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:48 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:43 pm

What’s Bertie up to these days? Maybe we could get him down at Orient
Bertie is long gone to that football heaven in the sky, died in 2001 aged 82 years old.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertie_Mee
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Why so many pages on a manager that probably doesn’t even know Leyton is on the central line
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Who ever we end up with would have been sacked from somewhere else. That’s just the way things are. Remember, Justin had been sacked before by Gillingham and Northampton but he was fantastic for us .
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Dave Chalinor is the man.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:13 am

One difference of course is Ross has worked with most of the players for a long time and inherited a championship winning squad full of confidence. Justin inherited a shambles going Down. Different league of course and sad event. Difficult to compare
Then Justin DIED .

Do any of you really think the players the staff the chairman & the owner would be ready & able to bring in somebody completely new & expect them to be able to do anything to motivate this entire group after Justins d3ath ?

Imagine we had a new man in from the start & he had Ross' record of 223, hed be getting slaughters & compared to JE & last season etc.

The club needs time, be it 3 months 6 months or a season to move on.
Let all that settle & only when we are bottom & 6 points adrift would we need to think about a new man.

Ross Embleton has been a hero in my eyes filling a role
he would give anything not to have to fulfill & yet so called fans are clamering for him to be put out .

Back the bloke the team the club you alledgedly all support with all you have , When the time is RIGHT ,
We can all move on & i know Ross will be part of that .
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:25 pm

Then Justin DIED .

Do any of you really think the players the staff the chairman & the owner would be ready & able to bring in somebody completely new & expect them to be able to do anything to motivate this entire group after Justins d3ath ?

Imagine we had a new man in from the start & he had Ross' record of 223, hed be getting slaughters & compared to JE & last season etc.

Let all that settle & only when we are bottom & 6 points adrift would we need to think about a new man.

he would give anything not to have to fulfill & yet so called fans are clamering for him to be put out .

Back the bloke the team the club you alledgedly all support with all you have , When the time is RIGHT ,
Like I said above, I’ve backed Ross, even gone OTT in my support at one point. Of course we all know the stuff you mention and I tried, tactfully, not to bring up the obvious thing that makes it near impossible to compare. But inevitably comparing will happen.

But as for suggesting he was the ONLY person able to take over. Frankly that is bolox. If Ross had said no do you think we would have started the season with no head coach. Someone would have been brought it. The debate is whether he was the best choice, not was he the only choice.

Ross will get the full season and moderate results will be accepted. The only thing that will change this is if Ross himself decides he don’t want the job or if we hit relegation danger. Assuming neither scenario the club will take stock at the end of the season.

In my opinion the club made the wrong decision, but having done so I hope he does exceptionally well.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Then Justin DIED .

Like I said above, I’ve backed Ross, even gone OTT in my support at one point. Of course we all know the stuff you mention and I tried, tactfully, not to bring up the obvious thing that makes it near impossible to compare. But inevitably comparing will happen.

But as for suggesting he was the ONLY person able to take over. Frankly that is bolox. If Ross had said no do you think we would have started the season with no head coach. Someone would have been brought it. The debate is whether he was the best choice, not was he the only choice.

Ross will get the full season and moderate results will be accepted. The only thing that will change this is if Ross himself decides he don’t want the job or if we hit relegation danger. Assuming neither scenario the club will take stock at the end of the season.

In my opinion the club made the wrong decision, but having done so I hope he does exceptionally well.
You do embarrass yourself nut maybe one line at a time might save you
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Sometimes the OBVIOUS needs to be spelt out in CAPITALS , to drive a point home.

Im sure any decent manager/coach would have thought
Going there in these circumstamstances is going to be hard & i think i might skip this one.

We would have ended up with some makeshift who would of then have been blaming the situation & probably destroying anything that the club has built in the 18 months Justin led the people with & around him.

A year on & the possibility of The Right candidate
gets in & we can look to progress.
Id love Ross to get things rolling as he is A FAN &
I would take great pleasure in seeing him smile & end up with us challenging for a play off place.

Might not happen, but slagging the bloke for what is the most bizzare set of circumstances to happen, is just a joke .
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Then Justin DIED .

An internal appointment really was the only option. Imagine having to be the man who follows Edinburgh. I guarentee that things would be a lot worse now if an external man had been appointed with the same results.

If Ross had said no, Webb or McAnuff would have been offered the job.

It was quite clearly the only appropriate appointment in the circumstances, and also the right one. That doesn't mean he has a free pass, but the club has accepted that he might not be the man by giving him the interim tag. Even if it doesn't work out for Ross, he will have made the job for whoever the next man isa lot easier.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Then Justin DIED .

I understand your point but I would rather we weren’t bottom and six points adrift before we acted. I would like to think the warning signs were apparent long before we got to that stage.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:55 pm

Then Justin DIED .

I understand your point but I would rather we weren’t bottom and six points adrift before we acted. I would like to think the warning signs were apparent long before we got to that stage.
When did you notice warning signs ?

Last season with 2 0-0 draws to finish ?
Would those moaners have been laying into JE had we not done things ?

Come on you.know we wont be points adrift at any stage this season

We wil pick up enough wins & draws to survive comfortably.

If you think not , then you are unfortunately one of those poor
souls in life filled with pessimism.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:18 pm Sometimes the OBVIOUS needs to be spelt out in CAPITALS , to drive a point home.

Going there in these circumstamstances is going to be hard & i think i might skip this one.

We would have ended up with some makeshift who would of then have been blaming the situation & probably destroying anything that the club has built in the 18 months Justin led the people with & around him.

I would take great pleasure in seeing him smile & end up with us challenging for a play off place.

Might not happen, but slagging the bloke for what is the most bizzare set of circumstances to happen, is just a joke .
Well said.
Let’s wait six months to see if he continues to make the same mistakes.
You can then discuss it with the other 2999 on a Saturday then.
And no, any decent manager wouldn’t turn it down if the offer was right.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Byways1 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:56 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:18 pm Sometimes the OBVIOUS needs to be spelt out in CAPITALS , to drive a point home.

Well said.
Well I'll discuss it with however many O's fans, while you discuss the bad quality of cheap beer somewhere in the world with other schnorrers numbnuts
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:59 pm

Well said.
Well I'll discuss it with however many O's fans, while you discuss the bad quality of cheap beer somewhere in the world with other schnorrers numbnuts
Any more results like Saturday and there will be more in the WMC.
Have you seen the Swindon website?.
See what their opinion is of RE.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Byways1 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:08 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:59 pm

Well said.
Any more results like Saturday and there will be more in the WMC.
Have you seen the Swindon website?.
See what their opinion is of RE.
Probably be much like ours if Fabio came back to manage Southend id say .

Ross was at a club deep in trouble
Ling Senior was probably ready to top himself , Ross took over for a few games while not knowing the full extent of what was going on with ML & most likely wasnt equipped to deal with whatever was going on.
Now he is doing a job of trying to hold a club together after Justins DEATH , while people like you & to a lesser extent the DoF out brigade do what they can to criticise.

Did you not watch episode 5 of Dream Team ?

As Billy Connolly famously said to a heckler

"Dont tell me how to do my job & i wont tell you how to sweep up .
Last edited by tuffers#1 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Byways still drunk in Walthamstow ?
We all know your in the WUMC and not the WMC

byway
/ˈbʌɪweɪ/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a road or track not following a main route; a minor road or path.
"
a little-known area of knowledge.
Sounds about right I guess
The Big Shot
Fresh Alias

Post by The Big Shot »

Now that the Lincoln job avaliable and with the departing Cowleys leaving them in a very, very good place - I can see Parkinson or another big name going there.