National League

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Norfolk O
Fresh Alias

National League

Post by Norfolk O »

Do you reckon it's the hardest league to get out of? I reckon it must be when you think about amount of games, style of play, state of some pitches (AstroTurf), only one automatic spot and even if you chuck money into a club like Salford have doesn't guarantee success .
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: National League

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

We too have 'chucked money' into a club.

Why can't people see this?
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

Norfolk O wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:39 am Do you reckon it's the hardest league to get out of? I reckon it must be when you think about amount of games, style of play, state of some pitches (AstroTurf), only one automatic spot and even if you chuck money into a club like Salford have doesn't guarantee success .
Hardest to get up, not so hard to go down...
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:40 am We too have 'chucked money' into a club.

Didn't we under say like Russel Slade and Tommy Taylor get more players in,though?

We've seemed a bit threadbare this season.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Howling Mad Murdock wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:53 am
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:40 am We too have 'chucked money' into a club.

Didn't we under say like Russel Slade and Tommy Taylor get more players in,though?

We have been anything but threadbare. We've had at least two players for nearly every position. You might not rate the replacements, but they do exist.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Certainly harder to get promoted when there’s only 1 auto & 1 playoff spot available for 24 teams to compete for, than FL2 (4 spots) and above (3 spots).

But it’s currently even harder at some levels below us in the non-league pyramid. Usually only 1 spot per League at step 5>4. And in steps 4 and 3 even the League playoff winners aren’t guaranteed promotion this year - there will be additional inter-league playoff finals to grab the limited spots.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Red_Army wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:13 am

We have been anything but threadbare. We've had at least two players for nearly every position. You might not rate the replacements, but they do exist.
Threadbare via injuries.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Howling Mad Murdock wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:20 am
Red_Army wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:13 am

Threadbare via injuries.
Still not really. We have been able to field a squad of 16 each week. There hasn't been an occasion where there isn't at least one other player to play a certain position should the need arise. We've regularly been leaving fit players out of the 16 because there isn't space for them in the squad.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

Norfolk O wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:39 am Do you reckon it's the hardest league to get out of? I reckon it must be when you think about amount of games, style of play, state of some pitches (AstroTurf), only one automatic spot and even if you chuck money into a club like Salford have doesn't guarantee success .
lol
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

In an attempt to steer this back to the OPs actual point (rather than the endlessly boring argument about the equivalency of Orient and Salford) - Yes, I think this is the most difficult division in English football to get out of.

It's an incredible achievement, and to have done it in 2 years is even more impressive.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Esteban wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:49 am In an attempt to steer this back to the OPs actual point (rather than the endlessly boring argument about the equivalency of Orient and Salford) - Yes, I think this is the most difficult division in English football to get out of.

It's an incredible achievement, and to have done it in 2 years is even more impressive.
We havent done it yet !
WickfordO
Fresh Alias

Post by WickfordO »

Yes money was "chucked" into the club but for a very different reason than Salfords. If it hadn't happened then there would no longer be a Leyton Orient because there was no money in the club. The difference with Salford is they were plodding along and were not in danger of going under, they might not have been wealthy but they were keeping their heads above water. We had to sign players to enable us to stay and play in the National League and any other league, where as Salford upgraded their players like any other team does and it paid off for them. As has several times been stated in other posts but in a different way, we have only signed players since the mass signings that did not have a huge price tag or if any price at all, and not that many. So I feel your view on this seems to be that you just want to contradict people for the sake of it.

League 2 here we come!!!!!!!
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Very tough league. It's the Premiership of the non-League world and seems to have the same set up - a group of promotion challengers, relegation likelies and a large in between of teams that are hard to beat. Today we are the Man City of the non League world - and rightly so.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:52 am
Esteban wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:49 am In an attempt to steer this back to the OPs actual point (rather than the endlessly boring argument about the equivalency of Orient and Salford) - Yes, I think this is the most difficult division in English football to get out of.

We havent done it yet !
We are coming across as arrogant as some other teams.No wonder teams like Oxford hate us. :(
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

WickfordO wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:59 am

Yes money was "chucked" into the club but for a very different reason than Salfords. If it hadn't happened then there would no longer be a Leyton Orient because there was no money in the club. The difference with Salford is they were plodding along and were not in danger of going under, they might not have been wealthy but they were keeping their heads above water. We had to sign players to enable us to stay and play in the National League and any other league, where as Salford upgraded their players like any other team does and it paid off for them. As has several times been stated in other posts but in a different way, we have only signed players since the mass signings that did not have a huge price tag or if any price at all, and not that many. So I feel your view on this seems to be that you just want to contradict people for the sake of it.

You are correct up to a point. We did have to do it out of necessity at the beginning, but since then we have been making good signings at this level for reasonable money. Correct me if I am wrong but we have paid a fee for Brophy, Ling, Alabi and JMD (possibly Ekpiteta?). I'm sure that the likes of Simpson and Turley are on decent wages.

We have a good budget for this level, regardless of the players we bought in during the summer of 2017. Don't make out that we are huge underdogs.
WickfordO
Fresh Alias

Post by WickfordO »

Red_Army wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:18 am

You are correct up to a point. We did have to do it out of necessity at the beginning, but since then we have been making good signings at this level for reasonable money. Correct me if I am wrong but we have paid a fee for Brophy, Ling, Alabi and JMD (possibly Ekpiteta?). I'm sure that the likes of Simpson and Turley are on decent wages.

We have a good budget for this level, regardless of the players we bought in during the summer of 2017. Don't make out that we are huge underdogs.
Thought Alabi was a swap with whoever went to Tranmere. Cant remember who it was.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

We have continued to bring in players from the divisions above, as others have pointed out.

How many other clubs in this division could finance Jay Simpsons wages do you reckon?

This isn't a dig as some people seem to be making out. It's kudos to NT and KT for stumping up the additional cash.

It's just baffling some fans can't see it. We are considered the money bags of this division by every other club, Salford excepted I guess.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

The OP made the point re: Salford throwing money at it....
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

What about Ling? Did he cost £££?

Definitely moneybags compared to teams like Braintree.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Every league is difficult to get out of IMO
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

WickfordO wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:24 am
Red_Army wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:18 am

Thought Alabi was a swap with whoever went to Tranmere. Cant remember who it was.
Caprice . I think I can remember somebody on here saying we paid a fee for Alabi but I'm not sure.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Howling Mad Murdock wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:12 am
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:52 am

We havent done it yet !
We are coming across as arrogant as some other teams.No wonder teams like Oxford hate us. :(
Agreed . I can now see why we have been given this " Bertie Big Bollocks" tag by other clubs fans .
Last edited by RedDwarf 1881 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

EliotNes wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:52 am Every league is difficult to get out of IMO
Not true.It's easier to get out of the Premier League.

Actually that's probably not true,either. :oops:
Frogger
Fresh Alias

Post by Frogger »

EliotNes wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:52 am Every league is difficult to get out of IMO
Orient made it look easy though, we slipped out of league 1 and 2 pretty quickly :cry:
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Howling Mad Murdock wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:14 pm
Not true.It's easier to get out of the Premier League.

Actually that's probably not true,either. :oops:
Actually it is true . It's called relegation.