Turley, Dayton and McAnuff

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Turley, Dayton and McAnuff

Post by Adz »

Their wages can't be insignificant, feel we made a mistake offering them all contracts, can't see them playing more than 20 games this season between them, and has really limited our squad options.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Re: Turley, Dayton and McAnuff

Post by tuffers#1 »

Adz wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:36 pm Their wages can't be insignificant, feel we made a mistake offering them all contracts, can't see them playing more than 20 games this season between them, and has really limited our squad options.
I wish 2 out of 3 were available today
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Don't think the impact is too high, or it shouldn't be.

McAnuff I would have wanted around anyway even if he quit playing, so we'd be paying him anyway.

Turley is decent back-up, with Happe and Ekpiteta relatively inexperienced it might be better to get an more experienced guy who doesn't mind being out of the side as reserve, so that is fine.

Dayton I'd be amazed if his contract was not heavily weighted towards appearances.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Understand why they were all offered deals. And I’d agree with at least 2, possibly all 3 of them.

But having 3 senior players like that out long term has to count as extraordinary circumstances and warrants bringing in cover.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

McAnuff we're getting value out of on the coaching side at least. Turley the injury seems to have come as a surprise but Dayton's contract does seem very sentiment driven.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

gshaw wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:26 pm McAnuff we're getting value out of on the coaching side at least. Turley the injury seems to have come as a surprise but Dayton's contract does seem very sentiment driven.
That’s irrelevant. Whatever was renegotiated when he took on the coaching role is in addition to his playing salary.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

RedO wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:32 pm
gshaw wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:26 pm McAnuff we're getting value out of on the coaching side at least. Turley the injury seems to have come as a surprise but Dayton's contract does seem very sentiment driven.
That’s irrelevant. Whatever was renegotiated when he took on the coaching role is in addition to his playing salary.
Are you sure? In Brill's interview he said changed contract when moving the other way from coach to player so who knows how McAnuff's situation was handled.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

It’s all a bit ridiculous. We now have turley, Alabi, Jobi, dayts, Marsh and Sotiriou on contracts who have about 30 mins to their name in league games.
I get why we signed them but none of the injured players will be fit enough to make an impact until about xmas
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

I would have thought McAnuff would be on a lot less as an inexperienced coach contract compared to an experienced playing contract.

Dayton seemed like a waste of contract to me. Turley is 50/50 good enough, but with injury worries over him not sure a contract was a good idea
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Turleys injury seems to have been mismanaged. He's only just had an operation so doubt he'll play til Christmas. Wouldn't be surprised if Jobi never plays again and will Dayton be the same player or even be good enough at this level?
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Dayton wasn’t very good before his injury. Jobi while a great player for us is late 30’s. Turley is an average div three/conference player. Not sure these three coming back would fire us to promotion to be honest.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

I’m honestly not 100% sure just how much value the club is getting out of McAnuff on the coaching side - certainly if yesterday is anything to by - and giving a contract to a 38 year old who struggled through the latter half of the previous season is unlikely to end well imho. Dayton also was a strange decision . It’s unlikely he’ll be back before November and has an iffy past history with injuries. Turley is a different case as his injury seems to have been more unexpected and we have maybe been just a bit unlucky in this instance.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Adz wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:58 am I would have thought McAnuff would be on a lot less as an inexperienced coach contract compared to an experienced playing contract.

Dayton seemed like a waste of contract to me. Turley is 50/50 good enough, but with injury worries over him not sure a contract was a good idea
Dayton's wife looked like she was pregnant when they were walking around the pitch after the Braintree game. Reckon that also came into the sentimental decision, though as said elsewhere he might be on a small basic wage with higher add ons for appearance.
Fellowo
Fresh Alias

Post by Fellowo »

As said, I'd imagine Dayton is just on the basic of wage, as the alternative for him would have been no wage at all and it would have been very cold of the club to throw him out on the street and the fact it took a while for him to sign, highlights that he was looking at alternatives and Orients offer was very much a last resort.

As for Turley, he had two steroid injections hoping that would heal his groin, but alas its needed an operation. Similar I'm assuming with Mcanuff.

Regarding Jobi, I think his injury has been a good thing, as its given the club the opportunity to setup the team without him, opposed to last season where we looked a little lost if he weren't playing.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

The team stilllooks a little lost without him. Wright has not been an adequate replacement.
whittle81
Fresh Alias

Post by whittle81 »

Should Dayton who has a serious injury, have been just cast aside?
whittle81
Fresh Alias

Post by whittle81 »

Dayton got a serious injury very near the end of his contract while being in the 1st 11, would it have been very harsh to not off him another contract?
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:44 am Turleys injury seems to have been mismanaged. He's only just had an operation so doubt he'll play til Christmas. Wouldn't be surprised if Jobi never plays again and will Dayton be the same player or even be good enough at this level?
Taking Jobi on to learn his coaching is fine by me, if he gets games that’s a bonus. Good reward for last season and well deserved. But he should only ever be considered playing contingency and his replacement should have been recruited. His injury, and operation a couple of days before the season starts, looks like mismanagement to me.

Turley. If he was carrying an injury before he signed, then he should not have signed. I find it hard to believe we could not get an equivalent, fit player, in his place. His injury too seems to have been badly managed.

Dayton signed, not for playing reasons but because of his history with the club. Emotional, no more.

Jobi apart, all this seems wrong to me.

The simple fact is we are short of three players and Ross’s options are severely affected. Given his inexperience then we have a recipe for a tough season. Despite Saturdays inept display baring the odd tweak we will have the same group against Exeter because we don’t have anybody else.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

whittle81 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 am Dayton got a serious injury very near the end of his contract while being in the 1st 11, would it have been very harsh to not off him another contract?
Football is a harsh game. Everybody, including the players know that. Just look at the numbers of managers that get the boot and out of contract players who don’t get new contracts.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

whittle81 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:34 am
He wouldn’t have been cast aside. His contract would have expired.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

dOh Nut wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:50 am
whittle81 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 am Dayton got a serious injury very near the end of his contract while being in the 1st 11, would it have been very harsh to not off him another contract?
Football is a harsh game. Everybody, including the players know that. Just look at the numbers of managers that get the boot and out of contract players who don’t get new contracts.
Yes agree, said much the same in another comment. High pay and high risk employment players and managers are often only as good as their last few games. Even the very best players can get a career ending injury at any time. Look at Gazza, the player he was before his knee injury and nowhere as good after, same goes for Cox. Managers can get the boot only months into the job, thats how it goes. Years ago, players and managers often had a second job to fall back onto if things went wrong. Tom Finney was a part time plumber, owning small shops was another popular employment back up for footballers.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

I was saying in the summer that we should have thought of the contracts expiring as opportunities to improve the team and squad. Much easier to do this when you don't have a lot of unnecessary contracts on the books.
whittle81
Fresh Alias

Post by whittle81 »

RedO wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:14 am
whittle81 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:34 am
He wouldn’t have been cast aside. His contract would have expired.
Yes true, but he was injured playing for us, would you not want the club to at least give him a contract until he is fit?
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:04 am
I was saying in the summer that we should have thought of the contracts expiring as opportunities to improve the team and squad. Much easier to do this when you don't have a lot of unnecessary contracts on the books.
We had won the League thus gaining promotion, so somewhat hard to not reward the players who had just gained promotion. Turley's injury seems like it was an unexpected one and Jobi going onto the coaching staff seemed a good move. James Dayton being kept on for a one year contract, well that was an awkward one, would have been rather harsh to not offer him something after his bad injury near the end of the season. The tragic death of Justin was obviously one that affected everyone associated with Leyton Orient, so this season is all about gradually gaining some sort of stability and retaining our place in Division 2.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Dayton didn’t look particularly good last season. He wasn’t the same player, for me, after the serious knee injury. And now he’s coming back from a serious ankle injury. The contracts a massive risk