Brentford fc

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Byways1
Fresh Alias

Brentford fc

Post by Byways1 »

Just been looking at Brentford, a similar size club to ours and an established Championship club.
Total wage bill 15m
Weekly loss 350k but this has been reduced by shrewd work in the transfer market where they have bought and sold well. Shows what a good manager Dean Smith is.
The owner has pumped in an incredible 113m but they are also selling their only two real assets Griffin Park 30m and their new ground for 52m which they plan to lease back.
Try to rely on keeping up with the big boys by selling your best players and replacing them with equal quality but cheaper is in my opinion not sustainable. It will be interesting in the next 5 years or so that’s for sure.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Brentford fc

Post by point nine one eight »

Well spotted Byways, good read, seems incredible that a company can lose £350k a week A WEEK, frightening. Selling off the assets in order to reach the promised land, another Bolton in the making?
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

They don't have an academy either, just a B team. They must save a lot of expense with that.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

Dean Smith not been their manager for the past year.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

I dont really get what you are saying? They are replacing good players with equal quality players, who are cheaper? Whys that not sustainable?
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

West Side Story wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:50 am Dean Smith not been their manager for the past year.
I was looking at the last set of accounts when Dean was manager.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Apple Wumble wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:52 am I dont really get what you are saying? They are replacing good players with equal quality players, who are cheaper? Whys that not sustainable?
Are you being serious?
Was Moores a good replacement for Kitchen?
Finney for Griffiths?
The bloke who replaced the geezer we sold to Fulham for 1m
Not to mention the strike force we’ve got now.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Byways1 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:25 am
Apple Wumble wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:52 am I dont really get what you are saying? They are replacing good players with equal quality players, who are cheaper? Whys that not sustainable?
Are you being serious?
Finney for Griffiths?
You literally said "by selling your best players and replacing them with equal quality but cheaper"

Equal quality would indicate they are as good.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Are you being serious?
Finney for Griffiths?
The fact is that you will sign a few duds and when that happens you are in a relegation fight and possible relegation with a drop of millions in TV revenue and gates etc.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Apple Wumble wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:27 am
Are you being serious?
Finney for Griffiths?
You literally said "by selling your best players and replacing them with equal quality but cheaper"

Equal quality would indicate they are as good.
Yeah and the Brentford way has worked for now under a superb manager in Smith.
Wimbledon did this for years but when kinnear etc left it went into free fall.
We will see where they are in 3 years time when they’re had lived the dream.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Moneyball, innit. I suspect Teague & Travis fancy following a similar model.
Baddo
Fresh Alias

Post by Baddo »

They are chasing the dream. It's all very well whilst things are going well but its a massive gamble.
From our own experience and that of many other clubs if the gamble doesn't pay off or the owner loses interest it can kill a club.

I'm happy enough living within our means where possible in the hope that we will have a season or two where things click and we have success.

Owners pumping in money scares me to be honest.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

OFF will be pleased his team are progressing so well.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:43 am They don't have an academy either, just a B team. They must save a lot of expense with that.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... e-outcasts
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

slacker wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:50 am Moneyball, innit. I suspect Teague & Travis fancy following a similar model.
Do you think they are prepared or rich enough to do a Brentford James?
Bare in mind we don’t own our own ground.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Baddo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:53 am They are chasing the dream. It's all very well whilst things are going well but its a massive gamble.
From our own experience and that of many other clubs if the gamble doesn't pay off or the owner loses interest it can kill a club.

I'm happy enough living within our means where possible in the hope that we will have a season or two where things click and we have success.

I'm not sure that is quite so true for Brentford, as the model relies on selling high, buying low, which in itself is sustainable. It has a high start up cost, but if the model is successful, the club should be making a profit or breaking even.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Baddo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:53 am They are chasing the dream. It's all very well whilst things are going well but its a massive gamble.

It always goes tits up when clubs live beyond their means.
Their home support has peaked at 10000. Even moving to a new ground with a capacity of 17000 is hardly sustainable, it will still be one of the smallest in the Championship.
I know people will say Bournemouth, but when they are relegated things will hit home.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Red_Army wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:29 am

I'm not sure that is quite so true for Brentford, as the model relies on selling high, buying low, which in itself is sustainable. It has a high start up cost, but if the model is successful, the club should be making a profit or breaking even.
They’re not.
4m loss.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Byways1 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:28 am Just been looking at Brentford, a similar size club to ours and an established Championship club.
Total wage bill 15m
Weekly loss 350k but this has been reduced by shrewd work in the transfer market where they have bought and sold well. Shows what a good manager Dean Smith is.
The owner has pumped in an incredible 113m but they are also selling their only two real assets Griffin Park 30m and their new ground for 52m which they plan to lease back.
Try to rely on keeping up with the big boys by selling your best players and replacing them with equal quality but cheaper is in my opinion not sustainable. It will be interesting in the next 5 years or so that’s for sure.
Good to see your up to date with Brentfords well known and documented approach.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Byways1 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:35 am

They’re not.
4m loss.
All it would take is for one of their recent signings to go for 15m+ and that's 4 season's worth of loss covered.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Byways1 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:34 am

Their home support has peaked at 10000. Even moving to a new ground with a capacity of 17000 is hardly sustainable, it will still be one of the smallest in the Championship.
I know people will say Bournemouth, but when they are relegated things will hit home.
Sometimes clubs have to live outside of their means, otherwise how can they ever progress. If we went and signed a player for 1m that would be us living outside of our means. If they, however, went on to be sold for 5m, it would be considered very shrewd business.

Living outside of your means only becomes an issue when you spend so recklessly that there is simply little to no chance of ever making that money back.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Red_Army wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:44 am

They’re not.
4m loss.
All it would take is for one of their recent signings to go for 15m+ and that's 4 season's worth of loss covered.
Provided they pick him up for nothing and no sell ons.
Keep up. They haven’t got a youth system.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Red_Army wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:47 am

Sometimes clubs have to live outside of their means, otherwise how can they ever progress. If we went and signed a player for 1m that would be us living outside of our means. If they, however, went on to be sold for 5m, it would be considered very shrewd business.

Living outside of your means only becomes an issue when you spend so recklessly that there is simply little to no chance of ever making that money back.
You mean signing a player from Orient for 1 m and sell him 10 months later for 3-5m?
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Byways1 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:47 am
Red_Army wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:44 am
They’re not.
4m loss.
Provided they pick him up for nothing and no sell ons.
Keep up. They haven’t got a youth system.
They don't have an academy, but that have a 'B' team that contains young players released by other academies.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Byways1 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:50 am
Red_Army wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:47 am

You mean signing a player from Orient for 1 m and sell him 10 months later for 3-5m?
A good representation of how the system works, and worked well for them.