ex player slagging off ling

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: ex player slagging off ling

Post by Max B Gold »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:23 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:43 am If the Club are coming out and getting involved in a show's output based on comments like that then it's a) weird and b) made it worse. Plenty of people who wouldn't have listened to the show are now aware of it what was said (which, let's be honest, isn't that bad) and discussing it elsewhere.
It doesn't sound like they are getting involved though. It seems Embleton brought it up and then Gilson apologised for it. Had it not been mentioned in the interview then would anyone had even known it had rattled Embleton's cage, let alone there being an apology? I wonder if this got back to Gilson via Dulcet Dave after the game and that's when the apology came.

Can't help feel that this is a fuss over not a lot, with Embleton being too sensitive and making an error of judgement in his reaction and Gilson unnecessarily apologising for Dickenson's comment. Far from the freedom of speech issue it's being made out to be.
Correct. It's all that clown Gilso's fault. I used to think he was a professional broadcaster but he's clearly a yella bellied weasel with the spine of a jelly fish.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

“I was made aware this morning of some real strong criticism that was made of him last night by a particular ex-player at this football club. We talked about learning from mistakes and I haven’t seen Sam Ling make particularly many this year. I think he’s been outstanding. He’s come back in great physical shape, which we asked him to do at the end of last season, and his performances have been good.

“We just need to be careful sometimes of how critical we can be of players.”

Pretty clear that Ross hadn't heard what was said himself and some snivelly nosed weasel has created something out of absolutely nothing by telling him Dicko had been out of line (when he hadn't).

Would love to know who is responsible for this sorry mess.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Would have reckoned the 'can't defend to save his life' line would have caused the most umbrage, as he has given some good defensive performances in the past (among not so good ones). It's clearly an exaggeration, in the same way people say a low-scoring striker could not score in a brothel, etc.

To be quite honest I would have thought if Dickenson had said the same about Alabi in an attacking sense there would have been nothing like this reaction and it would not raised any eyebrows because most people would agree with him.

I think it's job done for now, Ling Jnr is obviously a bit of a sensitive subject and even if it transpires he signs a new deal shortly (undeserved IMO at this moment in time) people will be afraid of discussing the merits of it.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Haven’t read all of this thread but clearly this is all Gilso’s fault.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:37 am
tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:56 pm
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:46 pm

Um, they were all ‘slagged off’.

Which words exactly have tipped you over the edge?
Yes but only Sam Ling gets nye on Slandered for being picked because his Dad works for the Club.

Big Big difference.
If people slag players off , then fair enough.
If they are Slagged off for only getting a game
because of family favouritism, then that takes it to
a whole new level.
Dicko didn’t say anything of the sort.

I’ll ask again because no one seems to be able to offer an answer - which exact words that Dicko said have upset everyone so much?

It’s a total farce.
To clarify
I had mov3d onto most of 5he ling haters as
opposed to Dickinson .
Last edited by tuffers#1 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:56 am
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:58 am What comment FFS?

The fact everyone is ignoring this straight forward question says it all.
It's as verbatim as I could be bothered to transcribe. There's nothing left out.

He started a bit before by discussing the formation:
Playing with 3 CBs and 2 WBs, you’re really relying on 2 FBs to provide the width and delivery

Going on last year, obviously, I can only go on what I see last year. I see all the home games last year. Delivery is not that great is it, to be honest.
Bit further on, one of the fans (Lee) said:
Fullbacks, the 2 boys, Ling and Judd. Juddy is a fantastic FB but for whatever reason, it’s not working for him at the moment, things aren’t working. And Ling, he’s had a tough season last year and a good season, the season before, so I’m more than happy with that. Turley signed as well, more than enough cover and we’ve got a couple of young boys as well, Ogie and Sweeney, more than well covered there.
Then they were asked what formation and where they should play, and if Kevin ever had to play as a wingback. Kevin replied:
I mean, it depends on the players you’ve got doesn’t it, I don’t think wingbacks suits our players. I think Widdowson done better than I expected last season as a wingback. The other side, we ain't got anybody as far as I’m concerned, to be quite honest. I think Myles Judd, he likes to defend and he can be impetuous at times but I think his distribution needs a lot of work. Sam Ling I don’t think can defend for his life to be quite honest and I don’t think he offers you anything going forward. That’s my opinion, but, I think we don’t have any cover for Joe and it’s only really young lads which might be an issue going forward.
A few minutes after, Kev went on to say (in reply to the question that most full backs aren't trained to play at wing back:
Most fullbacks these days don’t defend very well, do they? And I’m even talking about Premiership FBs. They play more like wingers

His language was a bit clumsy but the essence of it was spot on. He equally criticised Judd but Ross hasn't mentioned that criticism. They're either being overly protective because he's Martin Ling's son or they rate him as a good right back. Either way, they're in the wrong.
Completely and utterly correct. For there to be any apology provided for Dickinson’s comments makes the show a laughing stock. TASS had greater credentials of impartiality.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

admin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:58 pm Haven’t read all of this thread but clearly this is all Gilso’s fault.
He needs to apologise to the Board for setting O against O.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:27 am
PoundhillO wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:23 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:03 am

He didn't slag Judd off to the same extent.
Didn’t slag Judd of to the same extent as this would have been unwarranted and unfair !
The context is different though.

Judds own manager called him out publicly. Whatever was said, the opinion of a fan is completely different to a manager publicly calling out a player (who’s younger than Ling) for one mistake.

But wherever you sit on this argument, it’s double standards from Ross.
Of course it is. It is okay to throw Judd under the bus but not to countenance any criticism of the DOF’s son.

Amateur hour from Ross and those with their faux double-standards outrage.
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

Obviously he's entitled to say what he likes but for an ex-player to use that kind of language about a fellow professional is pretty disrespectful and counterproductive. You'd hope having someone who's actually played on the show could help educate and explain certain nuances in the game, but saying "can't defend to save his life" is a) blatantly not true and b) only intensifies any negative feelings from fans towards him. Had he phrased it as "some aspects of the defensive side of his game need work" I don't think it would have caused such a strong reaction.

Ross was right to come to his defence. His confidence may be fragile for all we know and he'll always come under scrutiny playing at a club where his dad is part of the management structure. The ridiculously disproportionate stick he receives on here and social media is just one example of that.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:06 pm Obviously he's entitled to say what he likes but for an ex-player to use that kind of language about a fellow professional is pretty disrespectful and counterproductive. You'd hope having someone who's actually played on the show could help educate and explain certain nuances in the game, but saying "can't defend to save his life" is a) blatantly not true and b) only intensifies any negative feelings from fans towards him. Had he phrased it as "some aspects of the defensive side of his game need work" I don't think it would have caused such a strong reaction.

Ross was right to come to his defence. His confidence may be fragile for all we know and he'll always come under scrutiny playing at a club where his dad is part of the management structure. The ridiculously disproportionate stick he receives on here and social media is just one example of that.
That kind of language? Seriously?
Millennial Snowflake
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Millennial Snowflake »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:09 pm
Millennial Snowflake wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:06 pm Obviously he's entitled to say what he likes but for an ex-player to use that kind of language about a fellow professional is pretty disrespectful and counterproductive. You'd hope having someone who's actually played on the show could help educate and explain certain nuances in the game, but saying "can't defend to save his life" is a) blatantly not true and b) only intensifies any negative feelings from fans towards him. Had he phrased it as "some aspects of the defensive side of his game need work" I don't think it would have caused such a strong reaction.

In a game where fans seemingly only know the language of hyperbole, do you think an ex-player with a good standing at the club talking in such extremes about a current player does him or fan perception of him any favours whatsoever?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Are you still going on ?

Tottenham fan & 2 team w*nker .

Please leave this board

Youre only here " becuase Orient is a Giggle

Go support your true love on there fans forum.

https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum ... hotspur.4/

Isnt it your clubs Cup Final this weekend ?
You should be concentrating on that surely
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:34 pm

Are you still going on ?

Please leave this board

What’s your problem? After embarrassing yourself yesterday, including throwing around the c-bomb, you continue to show your inability to countenance other opinions.

Hardly showing a learned view.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

countenance your word of the day disruptive?
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

How is his language clumsy? It’s just an opinion. A sort of weak Gary Neville. Apologising is embarrassing. I am embarrassed for you.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Disoriented wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:38 pm

Are you still going on ?

Please leave this board

What’s your problem? After embarrassing yourself yesterday, including throwing around the c-bomb, you continue to show your inability to countenance other opinions.

You & you're like are my problem Des

Claiming a love for a football club whilst doing nothing but abusing it.

If you are learned my "Friend ".
Then the sooner all clubs go out of buisness the better.

If i Embarassed myself yesterday , then note it is something done through necessity, to drop to you & your likes everyday level.

I used a 5 letter word to describe adjectively , the kind of fans that you are.
Never Satisfied .
If we as a club had done the quadruple ,
You & yours would continue to moan on & on.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Lucky7 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:46 pm countenance your word of the day disruptive?
Good to see you are an avid fan Lucky.
👍
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:00 pm

Are you still going on ?

Please leave this board

If i Embarassed myself yesterday , then note it is something done through necessity, to drop to you & your likes everyday level.

Never Satisfied .
Still ranting I see.

I am perfectly happy with where we are as a team. We have recruited some exciting players and I can see more positives than negatives.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Disoriented wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:02 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:00 pm

Never Satisfied .
Still ranting I see.

I am perfectly happy with where we are as a team. We have recruited some exciting players and I can see more positives than negatives.
Pardon Daz ?
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

I believe that Ling is a superior player to Judd right now and is worthy of his place in the team. I also think that people who have been asked to comment on what they see should be able to do so honestly. I wouldn't agree with the words used, but by no means should anybody be apologising for them. I also believe that Ross handled it well and good on him for sticking up for his player.

The post trying to accuse Ross of double standards because he said in one post-match interview that Judd had made a mistake (which he had) is laughable. He was making a comment on the game and has gone nowhere near laying into Judd, just explaining what had unfolded- it wasn't even an opinion it was a statement of fact.

Ling was not a strange signing at all- he was bought in as the eventual replacement for Jake Caprice, who had been booed out of the club by certain sections. We will be looking for Ling's replacement should such people be successful in their campaign against him soon enough.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Red_Army wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:17 pm I believe that Ling is a superior player to Judd right now and is worthy of his place in the team. I also think that people who have been asked to comment on what they see should be able to do so honestly. I wouldn't agree with the words used, but by no means should anybody be apologising for them. I also believe that Ross handled it well and good on him for sticking up for his player.

The post trying to accuse Ross of double standards because he said in one post-match interview that Judd had made a mistake (which he had) is laughable. He was making a comment on the game and has gone nowhere near laying into Judd, just explaining what had unfolded- it wasn't even an opinion it was a statement of fact.

Ling was not a strange signing at all- he was bought in as the eventual replacement for Jake Caprice, who had been booed out of the club by certain sections. We will be looking for Ling's replacement should such people be successful in their campaign against him soon enough.
But Des claims he was thrown under the Bus .

Surely he should be charged with
MUR ' DER ( As Taggert would say )

Maybe we should get Spun on the case.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Getting all pres biz on ya now but anyone who don’t think a manager calling a player out by name for a mistake in a game has no management experience in any field. Pretty basic that you have your players backs in public, especially young players. Like Ling got his managers backing, for example.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Apple Wumble wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:42 pm Getting all pres biz on ya now but anyone who don’t think a manager calling a player out by name for a mistake in a game has no management experience in any field. Pretty basic that you have your players backs in public, especially young players. Like Ling got his managers backing, for example.
Oh have a word. Listen to it back- he hasn't gone out and slagged him off. He's going through why they lost the game explaining that it was two mistakes and then almost as an aside explains what happens with the two mistakes 'Juddy loses his man' and 'a scruffy header off Marv'. It's hardly like saying 'he can't defend to save his life'. I don't think the latter is the worst thing to ever say anyway, as it's clearly an exaggeration, but there's a difference and either you know that and you're playing silly, or you just don't get that.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:18 pm “I was made aware this morning of some real strong criticism that was made of him last night by a particular ex-player at this football club. We talked about learning from mistakes and I haven’t seen Sam Ling make particularly many this year. I think he’s been outstanding. He’s come back in great physical shape, which we asked him to do at the end of last season, and his performances have been good.

“We just need to be careful sometimes of how critical we can be of players.”

Pretty clear that Ross hadn't heard what was said himself and some snivelly nosed weasel has created something out of absolutely nothing by telling him Dicko had been out of line (when he hadn't).

Would love to know who is responsible for this sorry mess.
Who is the grass? Could be a bigger mystery than who shot JR?
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

tuffers#1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:38 pm
Red_Army wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:17 pm I believe that Ling is a superior player to Judd right now and is worthy of his place in the team. I also think that people who have been asked to comment on what they see should be able to do so honestly. I wouldn't agree with the words used, but by no means should anybody be apologising for them. I also believe that Ross handled it well and good on him for sticking up for his player.

But Des claims he was thrown under the Bus .
I do believe it was the #58.