Attention Brexiteers (Only) - Did you want a No-Deal-Brexit

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BoniO
Regular
Regular

Re: Attention Brexiteers (Only) - Did you want a No-Deal-Brexit

Post by BoniO »

Sid Bishop wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:37 pm I notice that ''Attention Brexiteers (Only)'' soon went out of the window.
I think the self-satisfied smugness based on absolutely zilch just became too much to ignore....
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

BoniO wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:12 am
Sid Bishop wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:37 pm I notice that ''Attention Brexiteers (Only)'' soon went out of the window.
I think the self-satisfied smugness based on absolutely zilch just became too much to ignore....
Ok then, what will the EU look like in ten years time. ?
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Orient_Man_And_Boy wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:06 pm Well, RR, ‘No Deal’ is simply a state of affairs where GB doesn’t sign a deal with the EU, because to do so would continue to lock OUR trading positions, rights and judiciary into a framework dictated (correct word) by un-elected bureaucrats in the EU.

Also, since I’ve been asked during this thread “leave at any cost” means what it says on the tin. Out, out, out and in case you’re not following my response ... OUT. If I’d been in charge =
Day 1 Ballot
Day 2 Results
Day 3 Article 50
Day 4 GONE !!

Also, it has been stated, rather boringly, ‘ah, no deal was not on the ballot paper.’ Putting it rather bluntly I don’t give a damn whether it was or not. Neither was ‘agree to prolonged membership under increasingly punitive, non-negotiable terms’ but some would seem to prefer that. Can’t think why.
Much better to just close your eyes, click your heels together and say "there's no place like home, there's no place like home...."

If we all think positively then it will be fine, we'll get fabulous trade deals from, well, er, just about everyone really. Yes I know we don't know who yet but we've only had 3 years and 2 months to look into this - sorry about that. Anyway, thinking positively again, that nice Mr Trump will look after us. He won't let any US based Corp crap all over us and hold our feet over the fire to get a great deal (for them). IT will be fine, even though nobody can really tell us what IT will look like. Let's all hold hands and pray.......
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:19 am
BoniO wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:12 am
Ok then, what will the EU look like in ten years time. ?
I don't know you tell me?
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Spike, I’m afraid that the premise of this exercise is bunkum, because the deal/no deal dichotomy simply didn’t exist in 2016. It didn’t feature in public debate, and none of the people now retrospectively claiming that they felt a certain way about this question 3 years ago are suffering from hindsight bias.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Unless it was your intention to explore the issue of hindsight bias, of course 🙂
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

OyinbO wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:42 am Unless it was your intention to explore the issue of hindsight bias, of course 🙂
I thought it was investigation into delusional thinking.
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

Orient_Man_And_Boy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:51 am EH16, I object most strongly to being considered a racist and will welcome your apology.

I voted Leave as an act of national self-determination. That does not in any way, shape or form automatically imply being anti anything except the unwelcome intervention of unelected bureaucrats in Europe.
I didn't call you a racist so I won't be apologising. I said 'most leavers' and I stand by that. Nor, btw, did I call anyone racist, I said they don't like immigrants.
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:03 am
EH16 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:04 am OK, I know I'm a remainer (voted yes in 75, voted remain in 16, would still vote remain now) but I have to butt in here and ask for some honesty because the truth is that most leavers didn't give any thought at all to any deal/no deal scenario. They voted leave because they don't like immigrants.
So you’re saying that just over half the country is racist. If that’s true then the country is already lost. Incidentally, I voted leave ,I didn’t vote for any deal.
I didn't call anyone racist.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

bobo66 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:01 am I can't see the point of a trade deal with the EU. If we signed a deal we would have to abide by all the various EU regulations, but not have say on what they were.

We should have gone for no deal straight away and spent more time agreeing trade with other countries and not wasted all the time with trying to get a deal with the EU. If we had we wouldn't be in the mess we are now.
50% of the UKs trade is with EU countries. We will still need to abide by EU regulations on trade as these are important in protecting consumers and businesses from unscrupulous traders who try and sell any old rubbish. In any event it is individuals and businesses who trade not countries.

Why should you ask businesses to ditch their trading partners overnight and make them find new ones. It doesn't make economic sense and it suggests you haven't really thought any of this through or you don't have the ability to. Of course you may just be delusional.
Last edited by Max B Gold on Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike pinner
Fresh Alias

Post by Mike pinner »

What I don't understand (and perhaps someone here can enlighten me) is that the Eu have said many times that they cannot negotiate a deal until we've left, and yet somehow we seem to be expecting a deal before we do (or not - depending on your views). Surely the language is wrong, what Mrs May negotiated was a temporary 'arrangement', during which time we would try and negotiate a deal. This seemed to me to be eminently sensible, although of course it didn't seem to satisfy anybody.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:04 am Insignificant lives? Was that meant to sound so hateful towards the working class?
Nope. It was a comment on all of us. We're all insignificant to an extent. We'll all also experience good and bad fortunes over the coming years and decades. And it will be difficult to ever conclude if these experiences are directly attributable to leaving/remaining and deal/no deal in any way.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Fair enough
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:53 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:04 am Insignificant lives? Was that meant to sound so hateful towards the working class?
Nope. It was a comment on all of us. We're all insignificant to an extent. We'll all also experience good and bad fortunes over the coming years and decades. And it will be difficult to ever conclude if these experiences are directly attributable to leaving/remaining and deal/no deal in any way.
Don't listen to him Lester he fukin hates us working class types.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Especially the Scotch working class.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:40 pm Especially the Scotch working class.
Fair enough. They don't excactly go out of their way to make themselves likeable and they elected Jimmy Krankie as their leader.
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

Still's Carenae wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:43 pm Wto gatt 24. We are almost certain to get this, if we cannot agree a new European treaty.
Sigh

Under GATT Article XXIV, a WTO member would not be able to act unilaterally, in other words both parties to this future trade agreement would have to agree to it for it to apply. Moreover, GATT Article XXIV only applies to forming a customs union or a free trade area for goods. In talks of a future UK-EU relationship many other aspects of trade have to be settled such as the level of regulatory alignment, mutual recognition of standards, and crucially, trade in services, for which the equivalent to GATT Article XXIV is GATS Article V.Article XXIV is key to any preferential trade relationship between the UK and the EU. However, it is unlikely that the option of an ‘interim agreement’ will be of immediate use. Article XXIV is much more likely to be used for a full free trade agreement.

As explained in a recent edition of the Morning Star
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:03 am
EH16 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:04 am OK, I know I'm a remainer (voted yes in 75, voted remain in 16, would still vote remain now) but I have to butt in here and ask for some honesty because the truth is that most leavers didn't give any thought at all to any deal/no deal scenario. They voted leave because they don't like immigrants.
So you’re saying that just over half the country is racist. If that’s true then the country is already lost. Incidentally, I voted leave ,I didn’t vote for any deal.
As somebody said yesterday - not everybody who voted leave was a racist but all the racists voted leave.
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:01 am
Orient_Man_And_Boy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:51 am EH16, I object most strongly to being considered a racist and will welcome your apology.

I voted Leave as an act of national self-determination. That does not in any way, shape or form automatically imply being anti anything except the unwelcome intervention of unelected bureaucrats in Europe.
Not anti-immigrant, just don’t want them over here
Vile
Highwood Man
Fresh Alias

Post by Highwood Man »

Voted to leave in 2016. Just wanted out and never even considered the possibilities of a deal. Still want out now. More so than ever.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Highwood Man wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:33 pm Voted to leave in 2016. Just wanted out and never even considered the possibilities of a deal. Still want out now. More so than ever.
Good man, same here.

Dan Hannon has hit the nail; on the head here, the Remainers would HATE for Brexit to be a success, they would much prefer the economy of the country to be hard hit than to accept they were wrong and it be a success !!
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... nson-uk-eu

''Earlier, Dan Hannan unleashed fury against Remainer Labour and Lib Dem MPs, saying they fear a “successful” Brexit rather than a “harsh” Brexit.
The prominent Brexiteer said the chief Remainers plot to block Brexit will give “no incentive for the EU to negotiate” a new deal.
Mr Hannan tweeted: “The moment Brussels starts to look at modifying the deal, Labour and the Lib Dems revive their plan to block Brexit, so taking away any incentive for the EU to negotiate. It’s not the prospect of a harsh Brexit that scares them; it’s the prospect of a successful Brexit.
His remarks come after arch Remainers met on Tuesday to agree on a strategy to stop Boris Johnson from taking the UK out of the EU without a deal.
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn called the meeting as Remainers rush to stop a no deal exit before the looming October 31 deadline''
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Sid Bishop wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:46 pm
Highwood Man wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:33 pm Voted to leave in 2016. Just wanted out and never even considered the possibilities of a deal. Still want out now. More so than ever.
Good man, same here.

Dan Hannon has hit the nail; on the head here, the Remainers would HATE for Brexit to be a success, they would much prefer the economy of the country to be hard hit than to accept they were wrong and it be a success !!
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... nson-uk-eu

''Earlier, Dan Hannan unleashed fury against Remainer Labour and Lib Dem MPs, saying they fear a “successful” Brexit rather than a “harsh” Brexit.
The prominent Brexiteer said the chief Remainers plot to block Brexit will give “no incentive for the EU to negotiate” a new deal.
Mr Hannan tweeted: “The moment Brussels starts to look at modifying the deal, Labour and the Lib Dems revive their plan to block Brexit, so taking away any incentive for the EU to negotiate. It’s not the prospect of a harsh Brexit that scares them; it’s the prospect of a successful Brexit.
His remarks come after arch Remainers met on Tuesday to agree on a strategy to stop Boris Johnson from taking the UK out of the EU without a deal.
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn called the meeting as Remainers rush to stop a no deal exit before the looming October 31 deadline''
Quoting Dan Hannan and the Express - that's me convinced then! What a load of absolute tripe and typical to try and reduce this all to playground argument level. I'm a remainer and I think we're jumping into an abyss and it will be bloody terrible. However, if we left with no deal and everything turned out rosy I'd be delighted - amazed to say the least, but delighted. It seems that the likes of Hannan (and you it seems) judge others by their own low standards. This isn't a petty tiff where the most important outcome is to be proved correct, it's about the future of our children and their children. I wouldn't sacrifice that just to be proved right.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

EH16 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:05 am

I didn't call you a racist so I won't be apologising. I said 'most leavers' and I stand by that. Nor, btw, did I call anyone racist, I said they don't like immigrants.
Like it...☺️
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Post by Buddy Manucci »

Nobody voted for 'no deal' during the referendum. I'm not even sure that phrase had been coined in relation to leaving the EU at that point.

What anyone voting for leave voted for, was the triggering of article 50. This;

2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Dunners wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:40 pm Especially the Scotch working class.
Scotch and working in the same sentence :lol: