Democratic - I don't think so......

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Re: Democratic - I don't think so......

Post by tuffers#1 »

Beradogs wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:13 pm
Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:36 pm Why did people vote to 'give power back' to a parliament that they don't want to do its constitutional job?
Because Johnson could come back with the best deal in history and parliament would still not vote for it. There is a majority in parliament to cancel brexit if they could and against the express wishes of the British people. But you know this already.
Please ,
The majority of the people who voted!!
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:07 pm
Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:36 pm Why did people vote to 'give power back' to a parliament that they don't want to do its constitutional job?
Fair point, but they seem to have reached a stalemate.
If The elected representatives want to ignore the referendum result,
Constitutionally they can.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

tuffers#1 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:34 pm
Because Johnson could come back with the best deal in history and parliament would still not vote for it. There is a majority in parliament to cancel brexit if they could and against the express wishes of the British people. But you know this already.
Please ,
Important point. 30% didnt bother to vote in the referendum
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Max B Gold wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Please ,
I know Max
30 % of the popuation + 48% of the remain vote means that
it is not the Express wishes of the British People

Only the wish of the 52% leave vote.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

So they can't really moan, if they don't vote.
PAM
Fresh Alias

Post by PAM »

tuffers#1 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:50 pm

Please ,
I know Max

Eggsactleey aNd 30 add fourteen eiGHt is 66% so ReMaiN actually One
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Flying Hippo wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:39 am Perhaps there's a better way of looking at this?

The integrity of British parliamentary democracy needs to be rebuilt. This is due to the fundamentally anti-democratic behaviour of the majority of Conservative and almost all Labour MPs (bar a handful of heroes) during the May administration. It is now over three years and two months since the Referendum and, for the first time, minds appear, at last, to begin accepting that the United Kingdom will leave the European Union in October despite a three year, two month hissy fit.

Quite simply, the behaviour of those Conservative and Labour MPs who have done everything possible to subvert the democratic decision of the British people is what has brought democracy in this country into disrepute. In order to re-establish any credibility in true parliamentary democracy the decision of the electorate must be fulfilled; manifesto pledges must be honoured, and there has to be an acceptance that the European Union has been operating as a hostile foreign entity contrary to the best interest of the British people. (Actually an inept, corrupt, failing hostile entity.) Therefore the Prime Minister is compelled to ensure the United Kingdom leaves the EU by the end of October by whatever means possible. If he is sabotaged in so doing he will win by a landslide at the next election and will deliver the country's formal departure soon thereafter. It's going to happen and it's well past the time to start coming to terms with it.
Excellent post, MPs complaining that it an it's undemocratic but they have ignored the will of the majority for over three years, for most MPs it's not about stopping a no deal brexit but stopping brexit at all costs.
Victav
Fresh Alias

Post by Victav »

Well if the majority remain MPs continue to vote undermine each PMs attempt to negotiate a half decent deal then I say well done to Boris for taking the bull by the horns.....he needs the eu to at least think he is serious about no deal even if he’s not....remain MPs cannot moan to anybody about being undemocratic....they started it,
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:39 am Cant you see that allowing no deal is essential to a good negotiation?
Never negotiated a deal then.
DonaldRocks
Fresh Alias

Post by DonaldRocks »

When the most corrupt man child not so stable genious president is saying that Boris is what the UK have been crying out for, it's time to get really worried.

Remember he was going to hire only the brightest and best people for his administration and we can see how that has worked out. BTW UK will not be able to get any trade deal with the US through Congress as they have already stated that if the Good Friday agreement is threatened in any way, shape or form, the UK will be getting a NO DEAL from the US. Let that sink in. The pro Brexiteers may very well get more No Deals than they had expected. Remember it takes many many years to get a trade deal. What will the UK do in the interim period? If it was so easy every country would be at it. It will be interesting to see the UK trying to get a good deal with countries like China without the power of the economic bloc that is the EU.

Many foreign countries interferred to get Trump elected and were pushing for Brexit. Putin, Netanyahu, Mohammed Bone Saw MBS, Erdogan, MBZ in the UAE, Sisi in Egypt will be delighted as the want to weaken EU and European unity and sow division in the Western democracies.

What do they have in common? They are all corrupt or are dictators and hate democracy. They do not like Europe bringing up their human rites abuses. Boris wants parliament to push for a vote of no confidence, then he will leave so little time, his aim is to strike when iron is hot and have a general election in early November, trying to harness all the support from pro Brexiteers that he has delivered Brexit. He will be trying to cement a majority in parliament at that GE before the reality of the damage to the country and economy takes hold.

How many people do you know, said they voted no just to piss Cameron and the government off but they never thought that the people would have voted for brexit? And Turkey is definitely not going to be in the EU anytime soon probably never. Alot of mistruths or just blatant lies. I do not remember any discussion about the issues it could create in Ireland, can't see were the funds are coming from for the NHS. Just alot of posh toffs playing with the people's future. Reece Mogg made money out of it, Farage also.

For Boris, Brexit was always a way to a means, he wanted the PM job. He undermined May so much that he eventually got the gig. Here Boris you created the mess along with Gove, now get us out of it. I'm sure that's what many of the MP's and Tory party members were thinking. :lol:

Has anybody on here enjoyed paying alot more on holidays this year? I don't think so.

Is it just me but we really lack leadership in the world today. I see "Stop the Coup" is trending big time on twitter.
Last edited by DonaldRocks on Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

PAM wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:07 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:50 pm

I know Max

Eggsactleey aNd 30 add fourteen eiGHt is 66% so ReMaiN actually One
No leave won the vote by 52 -48,

However saying it is
The WILL of the PEOPLE
is strictly another untruth.

The majority vote is to leave so just say that,
Thats all i ask from leavers.
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

"Quite simply, the behaviour of those Conservative and Labour MPs who have done everything possible to subvert the democratic decision of the British people is what has brought democracy in this country into disrepute."

Can we have a dishonorable mention here for the Tory MPs did most to destroy any chance of having a Brexit exit deal and still insist that, even if Boris gets a deal, they will vote it down. These are the people who want a one-party state because they believe they have a divine right to rule forever. First they give the Boundary Commision a brief that will inevitably increase the number of Tory MPs by about 20. Now they are talking about taking away the vote from anyone who does not pay tax, Ok you may say because the poor could vote either way, but students do not generally pay tax so would be disenfranchised and it has been reported that 75% of them vote Labour.

Mikero
DonaldRocks
Fresh Alias

Post by DonaldRocks »

The so called hard-line ERG, said even with a solution to the backstop, they would be voting for no deal Brexit unless a totally new deal is on the table. Its funny that the DUP at the start were totally opposed to everything in the deal that May had brought back, then knowing they are up shitcreek without a paddle back in Ireland, the only issue was the backstop as they wanted to show they were British and wanted to be treated the same as their so called mainland. Remember, Boris bullshitted them and then voted for the same deal that he is now talking about walking away from as he knew he had walked people to the edge of the cliff and was looking for a way out after all his lies to the people.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Project Fear
DonaldRocks
Fresh Alias

Post by DonaldRocks »

spen666 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:54 pmProject Fear
Brexit was like buying a house without ever seeing the house, without ever knowing the cost of the house or were the house was to be located.

No doubt about it May made a balls of it when trying to sell her agreement, but she was being shafted by people like Boris who's real aim all along was gaining power. Just remember he in the end voted for her deal after criticising it for months. He shafted the DUP after telling them he was standing with them. He is not to be trusted by anybody and that includes the Brexiteers. He will do anything for Boris. He craves attention and adulation. I'm still waiting for him to lay down in front of those bulldozers at Heathrow. He is not a man of principle but now he has to deliver as the spotlight is on. What could go wrong?
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

UpminsterO wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:53 pm The vote of 4 per cent difference and the geographic distribution shows clearly it is not the will of all the people to leave - the people defined as the majority by the politicians

If the vote had been compulsory as reported in Australia it would of been much better for everyone

What an absolute mess - greed, ego, lack of intelligence, lies, distortion and everything else that is bad in life with humans created this
And Boris and Reece-Mugg - heaven help us all.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Max B Gold wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:53 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:15 pm
Chief crazy horse wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:12 pm

With a response like that Sid, you can clearly see, 'they don't like it up' em! '
As I replied to Max....... !
Jo Swinson, the newly appointed leader of the Lib Dems, a person, like many others in the House of Commons, who wishes to have as many Referendum's as it takes to get the REMAIN result they want !! These people like her, have since 2016 hung around coming up with non stop delaying tactics to avoid enacting on the result of the 2016 referendum. If they had accepted the result in good faith and got behind the government, then it would have given a far stronger hand in the negotiations. Having said that, Mrs May was always a remainer and was a very poor negotiator as the EU KNEW full well that she would never do as she kept on saying ''No deal is better than a bad deal'' Also how many times did Theresa May say ''We are leaving the EU on March 29'' !! May would certainly never make a good Poker player !! May, more like a duty bound civil servant than a Prime Minister, pity she ever got the job, ok albeit by default in the 2016 Conservative Party leadership election PM race after Boris Johnson, seen as the front runner by political analysts, surprised many commentators by choosing not to run after Gove withdrew his backing and announced his own candidacy.
Are you some sort of halfwit?

It wasn't Swinson who delayed Brexit. It was the Tories especially the rabid right wing ERG MPs
Jo Swinson and her party have voted have ignored the result of the referendum and voted AGAINST everything relating to UK leaving the EU and even if the very best deal for leaving could be reached with the EU, she would still vote against it. AS I said before SWINSON is one of many
MPs on both sides of the house of commons who will go to any lengths to use delaying tactics to prevent Brexit.
Lastly once again, you show yourself up by having no other tactics to get your opinion across other than once again having to resort to name calling. No class at all in that, shows a distinct lack of vocabulary and once again shows that you are like a past it boxer, missing his target as he punches away at thin air.
StockholmO
Fresh Alias

Post by StockholmO »

Remainers have been using every possible Parliamentary tactic to delay and obstruct Brexit, Mr Johnson is just playing them at their own game. I sure most people are sick to death of this going on interminably and just want to get on with it so we can get on with our lives.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Sid Bishop wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:21 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:53 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:15 pm

As I replied to Max....... !
Jo Swinson, the newly appointed leader of the Lib Dems, a person, like many others in the House of Commons, who wishes to have as many Referendum's as it takes to get the REMAIN result they want !! These people like her, have since 2016 hung around coming up with non stop delaying tactics to avoid enacting on the result of the 2016 referendum. If they had accepted the result in good faith and got behind the government, then it would have given a far stronger hand in the negotiations. Having said that, Mrs May was always a remainer and was a very poor negotiator as the EU KNEW full well that she would never do as she kept on saying ''No deal is better than a bad deal'' Also how many times did Theresa May say ''We are leaving the EU on March 29'' !! May would certainly never make a good Poker player !! May, more like a duty bound civil servant than a Prime Minister, pity she ever got the job, ok albeit by default in the 2016 Conservative Party leadership election PM race after Boris Johnson, seen as the front runner by political analysts, surprised many commentators by choosing not to run after Gove withdrew his backing and announced his own candidacy.
Are you some sort of halfwit?

It wasn't Swinson who delayed Brexit. It was the Tories especially the rabid right wing ERG MPs
Jo Swinson and her party have voted have ignored the result of the referendum and voted AGAINST everything relating to UK leaving the EU and even if the very best deal for leaving could be reached with the EU, she would still vote against it. AS I said before SWINSON is one of many
MPs on both sides of the house of commons who will go to any lengths to use delaying tactics to prevent Brexit.
Lastly once again, you show yourself up by having no other tactics to get your opinion across other than once again having to resort to name calling. No class at all in that, shows a distinct lack of vocabulary and once again shows that you are like a past it boxer, missing his target as he punches away at thin air.
As usual you miss the point.
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

I read ITV's Robert Peston’s analysis of the current situation, which I thought was worth summarising here.

Essentially he says that MPs have created the scenario whereby Boris Johnson can marginalise them.

They backed Cameron’s grafting onto parliamentary traditions that the biggest decisions – Scottish Independence and EU membership – should be taken by direct democracy, and that trumps centuries of parliamentary democracy.

They approved Cameron’s Fixed Term Parliament Act, which makes it harder to throw a PM out. Even if Boris were to lose a vote of no confidence he could simply refuse to budge from Downing Street, and take the vote as an instruction to call an election at a date of his choosing.

If MPs now regret that Boris is claiming a direct mandate from the people, and their role as our representatives has been degraded, they really only have themselves to blame!
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Remainers do all they can to prevent the will of the people being carried out, yet call Boris's action undemocratic

Leavers who support Boris's actions call Remainers undemocratic for preventing the implementation of the will of the people.

It's strange how people can see the undemocratic actions only in others
claptonCasual
Fresh Alias

Post by claptonCasual »

Flying Hippo wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:40 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:39 am Cant you see that allowing no deal is essential to a good negotiation?
Correct.
Totally but Remoaners are too thick or blinded by their EU love in to realise.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Flying Hippo wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:40 am
Correct.
Disagree.

The much vaunted "No deal is better than a bad deal" is just as true, if not more so, from the EU side. They know that a no-deal separation will hurt them (not as much as it'd hurt the UK, but it'd still hurt), however, they also know that any deal that would allow the UK to "have it's cake and eat it" would be a fatal blow to the whole EU project.

No-deal - if it's being used as such - is a bluff that the EU is bound to call, so it's not helping our negotiating position one jot. Plus, by the way, we don't appear to be negotiating at all right now.
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

"I'm still waiting for him to lay down in front of those bulldozers at Heathrow."

He famously spent 45 minutes lying in front of a bulldozer at the JCB factory.

Mikero
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

Sid it is the job of opposition MPs to oppose the ruling party by voting against them, its how it is supposed to work.

Mikero