Moving house advice

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Re: Moving house advice

Post by StillSpike »

If it is f*cked, and the deal is over, then you owe it to yourself (and us) to have the most fun out what remains of your conversations with her as possible. Try to enjoy.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:03 pm At the moment I feel that its f*cked and this deal is over. I think the buyer expects a perfect property handed over to them. Wants a whole new list of things checked or repaired before exchange of contract

gas
plumbing
water
electricity
roof
wood burner
misted window

Sadly, they sound like complete wankers.

Get the house back on the market - to be fair, most normal buyers don’t behave this way and accept the fact that houses aren’t perfect and there’s always things needing to be done.

Either that (and if you can afford it) offer them £3k off and tell them to take it or f*** off. Put them on the spot - they’ve paid out legal / survey expenses which they’ll have wasted if the deal falls through now.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:29 pm They basically want me to pay for all these surveys though, which aint right.

Prepared to get the roof tiles fixed, maybe the window.
You can't be this much of a push over can you? I know you've got a lot of mileage out of this thread, so well done there, but if you really aren't ready to tell this old trout to do one then I suggest you put your hands down your Y-fronts and see if your gonads are still there.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:29 pm They basically want me to pay for all these surveys though, which aint right.

Prepared to get the roof tiles fixed, maybe the window.
BTW roof tiles and a window are minor things - if they seriously want them fixed then my instinct is they’re just f*cking about trying to nip a few grand off.

My house was a f*cking shitpile when we bought it 7 years ago - we accepted what it was and paid what the reduced price vendor wanted because it was what both parties could settle on.

f*cking about over roof tiles and a misted window is like buying a 2nd hand car and then wanting a reduction because you don’t like the colour. f*** ‘em off.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Ahem:
Dunners wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:02 pm Let slip to the agent that you're thinking of remarketing your house because the buyers they found you are f*cking about. And, if you decide to do so, you may give another agent the chance. The risk of losing their commission should get them applying pressure and some bully-boy tactics on your buyer. That way they get to be the bad cop and you keep your nose clean.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Admin wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:55 pm
Long slender neck wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:03 pm At the moment I feel that its f*cked and this deal is over. I think the buyer expects a perfect property handed over to them. Wants a whole new list of things checked or repaired before exchange of contract

gas
plumbing
water
electricity
roof
wood burner
misted window

Get the house back on the market - to be fair, most normal buyers don’t behave this way and accept the fact that houses aren’t perfect and there’s always things needing to be done.

Either that (and if you can afford it) offer them £3k off and tell them to take it or f*** off. Put them on the spot - they’ve paid out legal / survey expenses which they’ll have wasted if the deal falls through now.
Sensible. Does a 3k discount match your expectation of what you are willing to accept?

If so, do the deal at that but tell them that's your final offer put a time limit on it and if not met get it back on the market. There are other less onerous deals out there.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

I suspect the Estate Agent has been hawking the property around to other buyers to see if he can get a 'better' deal elsewhere.

I suppose that is an agents job, but there must be a time limit, and I'd have thought it is well past that now.

We need to know soon, so we can consider getting an alternative property thats recovering from a serious defects if indeed he will be going elsewhere
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Admin wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:55 pm

gas
plumbing
water
electricity
roof
wood burner
misted window

If you were the Godfather, you'd go back to them with a price that's £6 grand higher than the current agreed price. See if they get the hint.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

She's actually mental.

Wants to come round with another roofer.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Long slender neck wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:19 pm She's actually mental.

Let her and as soon as he's gone phone your grasping estate agent and get them to deliver an ultimatum to the buyer that says "this is the price take it or leave or its going back on the market". You cant negotiate with mentalists.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

You still bleating about your buyer? I'm beginning to think that you're enjoying her torturing you like this.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Post by CEB2ElectricBoogaloo »

I’ve just finished reading Hotel Avocado and Caca is being more of a 5hithouse than Gary Thorn
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Starting to feel like this thread is some sort of performance art.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Have you got a bet on how many pages you can squeeze out of this?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

It will probably stick around the current number as its getting very boring. But on the plus side we have learned that skinny neck has no cojones.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Fucks sake. Set a f*cking deadline and tell the agent to get it back on the market.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Admin wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:50 pm

Fucks sake. Set a f*cking deadline and tell the agent to get it back on the market.
Just do that ^
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

You’ve also got to realise that if they’ve spent £6k on surveys they probably won’t want to walk away. They are pushing it but I was in a similar position 5 years ago and it’s nerve wracking making the biggest purchase of your life and worrying there’s an undiscovered issue. I would have got more people in before I bought if I could go back.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

He needs to offload his pig in a poke before all the defects come to light.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

All flippancy aside LSN, it does really look like you're being royally f*cked about. What does the agent say in all this?

Everything you've described feels like a buyer who's probably having serious doubts about proceeding. Spike's probably right - it needs to be back on the market now. It'll flush this buyer out one way or another. Appreciate it'll be disappointing if they do withdraw but better to find out now than waste more time.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Dunners wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:05 pm He needs to offload his pig in a poke before all the defects come to light.
I did the survey and can confirm this to be correct.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Caca have you taken any of the advice anyone’s given on this thread?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

I've spent the afternoon typing a reply to this mad woman. I've said we're not going to give you anymore money off than already offered, you can check some stuff next week but then I need a decision from you. Told the agent to convince her or or relisting with someone else.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

That seems a little passive to me - remember the estate agents are not necessarily on your side, and it won’t be in their interests to say anything that might scare off the buyer.
It’s not easy to do but you should probably start acting as if the buyers are making you consider other options in terms of agents, as well as buyers.
Basically “these f***ers you’ve brought to us are messing me around - do I need to go back to market with a different estate agent?”
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Yep. It would probably help if you delivered your rant in person, in their office, whilst kicking over some desks and threatening them with a stapler. Just so they know you ain't f*cking about.