charity

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: charity

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Adz wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:52 pm I've got a bit of a bug bear about the way a lot of charities are run.

I check how much of the donations they receive actually go to the cause, a lot of them are appallingly low.

Depends on what you mean by the cause doesn’t it?
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:49 pm
Adz wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:52 pm I've got a bit of a bug bear about the way a lot of charities are run.

I check how much of the donations they receive actually go to the cause, a lot of them are appallingly low.

Depends on what you mean by the cause doesn’t it?
Ex squaddies sleeping on streets we are told when Help The Heroes have millions in bank
coggos
Fresh Alias

Post by coggos »

Before I donate to charity . I always look online and see what the senior execs are earning. Too many are coining it in

Re the couple of comments about the Salvation Army – most of their senior staff are paid a pittance for what they do. In the States they were second on the list regarding big charities, for the actual amount of money donated getting to the front line.

The fact that they have in excess of 4.5 million volunteers helps to keep costs down

And they will often help where other charities fear to tread.
Omygawd
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Omygawd »

My Dad drove a tank in WWII. Always said the National were nowhere’s to be seen near the front line but on many occasions the Sally were nearby. Always buy a War Cry and loved the Joystrings.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

I have run a couple of Marathons for GOSH. Along with some friends we raised enough for a couple of respirators for the baby unit, wanted to do more but my knees went. If I give or donate it's to GOSH.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Naomi Campbell banned from running charities

”The model’s Fashion for Relief charity paid for her five-star hotel rooms and spa treatments while donating just £389,000 of £4.8 million raised to good causes” :~

https://www.thetimes.com/article/03c66d ... baa4da982b
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

I read about that elsewhere and from the details of the case, it kinda feels like someone should be doing time for fraud, rather than just being banned from taking up another directorship within a charity.
ChorizO
Fresh Alias

Post by ChorizO »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:19 pm I still donate a bit each month but cancelled my direct debit to Shelter a while back as, from dealing with a couple of their advocates on a professional basis, they were real c*nts, so f*ck 'em.
Had the same issue with them.