Moving house advice

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Moving house advice

Post by Max B Gold »

Long slender neck wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:13 pm Not immediately, but we sold for asking a week after listing.

Anything I concede I'll have to cough for to make our purchase.
Sounds like you don't need to concede anything if it's so unique and was snapped up within a week at asking price (although that now appears to have been part of the buyers negotiating strategy).

Like others have said. Let them know you're not moving on price and are not interested in their umpteen "surveyors reports".

Some of them probably aren't even surveyors but just builders asked to quote on the things they are "concerned" about. Which they won't have paid for. Any they have paid for is down to their due diligence before purchase and any repair costs are reflected in the asking price.

Time to grow a pair.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

Notes_240922_152330_8d6.png
Notes_240922_152330_8d6.png (107.87 KiB) Viewed 243 times
Are you leaving the blue placque?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Wants us to wait a week for someone to come out for the five second job of checking if the floor is suspended wood or solid. Mad right?
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Nope - sounds all wrong to me. Feels like they're trying to get you dancing to their tune so you're desperate for them to buy. I'd be advising them you won't be moving on price and that you'll be going back to market if they're going to piss around.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Let slip to the agent that you're thinking of remarketing your house because the buyers they found you are f*cking about. And, if you decide to do so, you may give another agent the chance. The risk of losing their commission should get them applying pressure and some bully-boy tactics on your buyer. That way they get to be the bad cop and you keep your nose clean.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

My feeling is this first time buyer is incredibly naive and has gone for the cheap option for their solicitor and survey. Wants to check everything on the survey. Told them we arent waiting.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

All FTBs are naïve. They still believe that people are fundamentally good.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:13 pm Wants us to wait a week for someone to come out for the five second job of checking if the floor is suspended wood or solid. Mad right?
As per other advice tell 'em to get on with it or f*** off. Tell them You've got a related purchase and further delays will put that at risk. Worst thing that can happen is they'll pull out - if they do that, they were likely to anyway.

Did resi agency back in the 90's. Hated it. Hated the whole process and everyone involved.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:06 pm My feeling is this first time buyer is incredibly naive and has gone for the cheap option for their solicitor and survey. Wants to check everything on the survey. Told them we arent waiting.
I smell a great big, dirty, stinkin' rat. They're dickin' you around mate. Time to cut them loose.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Post by CEB2ElectricBoogaloo »

Admin wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:12 pm
Long slender neck wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:13 pm Wants us to wait a week for someone to come out for the five second job of checking if the floor is suspended wood or solid. Mad right?
As per other advice tell 'em to get on with it or f*** off. Tell them You've got a related purchase and further delays will put that at risk. Worst thing that can happen is they'll pull out - if they do that, they were likely to anyway.

Did resi agency back in the 90's. Hated it. Hated the whole process and everyone involved.
Wouldn’t telling them that be likely to inspire a lowball offer on the assumption that he’s desperate to sell?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

That is a good point, mustn't come across as too desperate
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

I've been out of the UK for a number of years, so not up to speed with what you can do, but after they made the initial offer and you accepted, was there anything stopping you keeping it on market and accepting other, potentially better offers?
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

CEB2ElectricBoogaloo wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:26 pm
Admin wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:12 pm

Wouldn’t telling them that be likely to inspire a lowball offer on the assumption that he’s desperate to sell?
Depends on how serious they are about buying. I don’t see it as being desperate - he needs to know if they’re f*cking him about.

If they are serious committed buyers they’ll understand the urgency of a related purchase and get on with it. I get they’re cautious but they need to be told to get off the pot.

Not sure if the systems changed in Scotland but back in my day they had it right - exchange contracts first then do your enquiries etc. Sorted out the committed punters from the day trippers.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Fuming.

Dumb f*** has gathered £6k of quotes and wants £8k off incase of any further repairs.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:30 pm Fuming.

Dumb f*** has gathered £6k of quotes and wants £8k off incase of any further repairs.
Just say no. It's very simple.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Tell them to sook your boaby and then FRO.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

He want you to pay his heating for the next couple of years as well, in case it gets cold?

Send him a bill for your wasted time and then follow Max's suggested response.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Or - just print this thread to pdf and email it to him
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Don’t show them you’re fuming.
Tell the estate agent you’re gonna put it back on the market as you feel like they’re taking the piss a bit, the price is the price.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Its a woman.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:58 pm Its a woman.
Don't tell her to sook ya boaby, it might be taken the wrong way.

FRO is still cool I reckon.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

My rationale would be “we’ve set what we think the place is worth, and that’s what we’ll accept. You’re welcome to do surveys to get an idea of what you’re going to pay to get it how you want it, but that’s not going to affect the price we’ll accept”

And I’d probably be bloody minded enough to walk away, if it wasn’t a completely unforeseen and expensive obvious problem
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

At the moment I feel that its f*cked and this deal is over. I think the buyer expects a perfect property handed over to them. Wants a whole new list of things checked or repaired before exchange of contract

gas
plumbing
water
electricity
roof
wood burner
misted window
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

The decision ultimately is between just doing it to get the whole thing over with, or deciding to f*** them off.

Assuming the house is in good shape overall, and they are being pain in the arses, then just keep sight of your main aim.
The demands to get stuff fixed, or to have money knocked off is just them playing the game. If you actually can afford to walk away, tell them they can do the surveys they want by a certain date, but the price is the price. Be prepared to actually walk away if so
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

They basically want me to pay for all these surveys though, which aint right.

Prepared to get the roof tiles fixed, maybe the window.