Hugh Edwards

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Hugh Edwards

Post by BIGRON »

6 month suspended sentence 🤔
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Hugh Edwards

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

I see another BBC presenter has just been charged with domestic violence offences

Keep paying that license fee though.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Probably fewer criminal offenders per capita amongst BBC employees than other similar-sized organisations. Not that I am an apologist for HW.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:40 pm I see another BBC presenter has just been charged with domestic violence offences

Keep paying that license fee though.
Good advice for those who would like to see the continuation of public sector broadcasting.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Give it to Jabo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:55 pm Probably fewer criminal offenders per capita amongst BBC employees than other similar-sized organisations. Not that I am an apologist for HW.
But when you narrow it down to male presenters though……

Most other broadcasters aren’t funded by the public either on pain of imprisonment.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Most other organisations do not have the longevity of the BBC, nor are they their size. A fair bit of what has gone on (not with HW) is prehistoric in modern broadcasting terms.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:20 pm
Give it to Jabo wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:55 pm Probably fewer criminal offenders per capita amongst BBC employees than other similar-sized organisations. Not that I am an apologist for HW.

Most other broadcasters aren’t funded by the public either on pain of imprisonment.
Not like a right-winger to criticise the BBC....
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

BoniO wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:53 pm
Currywurst and Chips wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:20 pm

Not like a right-winger to criticise the BBC....
Ad hominem

Also, you’re on record saying the BBC is more aligned to the right so doesn’t even make sense.

Bizarre
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Are we using the abuse of children to try to make a point about whether the BBC funding should be done differently (or at all) ?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

StillSpike wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:00 pm Are we using the abuse of children to try to make a point about whether the BBC funding should be done differently (or at all) ?
No, clearly not

I’m criticising them for their persistently poor choices when it comes to their presenters over many decades and asking why it isn’t more of an issue given their status as a publicly funded broadcaster that should be subject to the same level of scrutiny as other publically funded institutions
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

So where does "keep paying that licence fee though" come from then?

You seem to be stating that it's a management / governance issue - and I agree they've made some appalling decisions - especially around safeguarding, but also in relation to their political leanings - but surely that's not to do with how they are funded, is it?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

StillSpike wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:34 pm So where does "keep paying that licence fee though" come from then?

You seem to be stating that it's a management / governance issue - and I agree they've made some appalling decisions - especially around safeguarding, but also in relation to their political leanings - but surely that's not to do with how they are funded, is it?
Because I reached the conclusion that despite the massive pain in the arse it would cause me I couldn’t in good conscience continue to pay the license fee until they got their house in order.

I’m glad you agree they’ve massively f****d up safeguarding wise

I’ve not put any political bias claims (in this thread at least), the only reference to politics was “you’re only criticising the BBC because you’re right wing”. When in fact neither of those things are true and (for what it’s worth) I happen to think the BBC get impartiality right 99% of the time
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Happy to pay the licence fee for many reasons. Happy to avoid wretched TV advertising, too, the quality of which has decreased markedly…
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:44 pm
StillSpike wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:34 pm So where does "keep paying that licence fee though" come from then?

Because I reached the conclusion that despite the massive pain in the arse it would cause me I couldn’t in good conscience continue to pay the license fee until they got their house in order.

I’ve not put any political bias claims (in this thread at least), the only reference to politics was “you’re only criticising the BBC because you’re right wing”. When in fact neither of those things are true and (for what it’s worth) I happen to think the BBC get impartiality right 99% of the time
Do you still consume their output though?
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

BIGRON wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:34 pm 6 month suspended sentence 🤔
That’s no sentence, the peado is free to go home be with his family and put the keyboard away for 2 years until he is free to perv over young children again.
Should have gone to a magistrates court instead of crown.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Long slender neck wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:02 am

Occasionally as a reference to a post on here given they’re seen as quite reliable when compared to, say, the Mail or the Morning Star

But beyond that no
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Yes, but considering his once fame, power and respect in front of millions of people he is now a disgraced, humiliated and broken man. His fall from grace is immeasurable. This is his real sentence.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Kind of agree with CCH.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:55 am Yes, but considering his once fame, power and respect in front of millions of people he is now a disgraced, humiliated and broken man. His fall from grace is immeasurable. This is his real sentence.
Off with the goolies!
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:46 am

Occasionally as a reference to a post on here given they’re seen as quite reliable when compared to, say, the Mail or the Morning Star

But beyond that no
This surprises me. I had you down as a Radio 1 Xtra listener and Bake Off viewer, for definite.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:55 am Yes, but considering his once fame, power and respect in front of millions of people he is now a disgraced, humiliated and broken man. His fall from grace is immeasurable. This is his real sentence.
He should have had all that AND some time behind bars.

(Although I fully appreciate Sirkier only has limited prison capacity to work with, so obviously has to prioritise the Greggs looters over nonces).
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Hoover Attack wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:30 am
Currywurst and Chips wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:46 am

But beyond that no
This surprises me. I had you down as a Radio 1 Xtra listener and Bake Off viewer, for definite.
Bake off left the BBC 7 years ago :ugeek:
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

See, knew you were a fan.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Whatever the punishment, reckon he should have been given his job back for one night only and made to do the report on his own sentencing.
Yanzi Gravy
Fresh Alias

Post by Yanzi Gravy »

Financially secure with a gold plated BBC pension.