Awful recruitment and scouting

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Frogger
Fresh Alias

Awful recruitment and scouting

Post by Frogger »

Wasted the transfer window again with another crap goalie who has played at non league level and a defender again not tested at this level.

Crap scouts, lazy recruitment. Cheap cheap cheap. Expect more results like this.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Awful recruitment and scouting

Post by Give it to Jabo »

how can we play so well on Tuesday and then capituale like this?
Frogger
Fresh Alias

Post by Frogger »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:05 pm how can we play so well on Tuesday and then capituale like this?
I think you will find Millwall are a a sh*t as us, so wasn’t as a big a surprise as you would have thought.
We played OK we were not great, we just were less sh*t than Millwall.
faith1234
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by faith1234 »

Ling at fault for the very piss bad recruitment
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Frogger wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:04 pm Wasted the transfer window again with another crap goalie who has played at non league level and a defender again not tested at this level.

Crap scouts, lazy recruitment. Cheap cheap cheap. Expect more results like this.
Yes I agree we have no decent forwards apart from Dan A who try’s to beat everyone, Kelman is NO centre forward and Sweeney is no left back. We have very very poor options on the bench and just have very poor options in the board room. I feel for Wellens but even he can’t defend this.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

It's the lack of balance as much as the players themselves that's the issue. Put some young hungry players alongside wily pros and that's fine (see title season and even last season up until January)

This summer we've seen Sanders, Moncur, Pigott all go out the door and no senior pro in to replace them. Add Drinan to that list too as we l they never replaced him like for like either.

Add that to the farcical goalkeeper situation and it's no suprise we are where we are.

Also remember Ling's excuse for screwing up in January was the greater pool of players to get value from in summer. Well here we are and it looks an even worse job.
Jeremy Bentham
Fresh Alias

Post by Jeremy Bentham »

I've seen hardly anything good from our loanees, all disappointing so far.

How does a club like Shrewsbury get Castledine and we get the "highly rated" Donley?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

I don't understand why we have replaced 4 strikers with just Kelman?

We've replaced El Mizouni with Warrington who hasn't featured in the league
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

El Miz was so important to us that we really needed another exceptional player to replace him. I’ve not seen anyone who could do that yet. Pratley added so much when he played in the week but the poor sod can’t play regularly at his age.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Long slender neck wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:29 pm I don't understand why we have replaced 4 strikers with just Kelman?

That's the crux of it, Warrington is replacing 3 midfielders too
BoniO wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:33 pm El Miz was so important to us that we really needed another exceptional player to replace him. I’ve not seen anyone who could do that yet. Pratley added so much when he played in the week but the poor sod can’t play regularly at his age.
And just like that we're back to the exact same scenario we were talking about under Jackett just before his sacking. Unbelievable the club is doing the same to Wellens.
Last edited by gshaw on Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frogger
Fresh Alias

Post by Frogger »

The only defence I can give for such poor recruitment this season is that the budget was severely slashed. The quality for a majority of the players that have been given a shirt and no offence to these players but they are not experienced enough or have the physical attributes for this league. We look lightweight through out especially in the middle of the park and up front. Left back is a joke, the keeper situation is an embarrassment, the club should be ashamed of themselves. What a shambles 5 keepers, two loanees that have played Scottish two Bob league and non league football, our own keepers are even worse with maybe 6 games of league 1 football between them.

What the f*** are they thinking? What does this loanee add to the squad let alone what message it gives to our own keepers. You are so sh*t I am getting in some kid from Spuds.

Honestly, this can only be down to the board reducing the budget drastically, if not the DOF and scouting team should be sacked. Shocking.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Frogger wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:35 pm The only defence I can give for such poor recruitment this season is that the budget was severely slashed. The quality for a majority of the players that have been given a shirt and no offence to these players but they are not experienced enough or have the physical attributes for this league. We look lightweight through out especially in the middle of the park and up front. Left back is a joke, the keeper situation is an embarrassment, the club should be ashamed of themselves. What a shambles 5 keepers, two loanees that have played Scottish two Bob league and non league football, our own keepers are even worse with maybe 6 games of league 1 football between them.

What the f*** are they thinking? What does this loanee add to the squad let alone what message it gives to our own keepers. You are so sh*t I am getting in some kid from Spuds.

Honestly, this can only be down to the board reducing the budget drastically, if not the DOF and scouting team should be sacked. Shocking.
One thing for certain it's not Richie's choice as he's been clear about what he wants since January. The DoF will try and dodge responsibility again no doubt...
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Frogger wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:35 pm The only defence I can give for such poor recruitment this season is that the budget was severely slashed. The quality for a majority of the players that have been given a shirt and no offence to these players but they are not experienced enough or have the physical attributes for this league. We look lightweight through out especially in the middle of the park and up front. Left back is a joke, the keeper situation is an embarrassment, the club should be ashamed of themselves. What a shambles 5 keepers, two loanees that have played Scottish two Bob league and non league football, our own keepers are even worse with maybe 6 games of league 1 football between them.

Was there not a 10% increase in the budget?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Story of O wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:39 pm Was there not a 10% increase in the budget?
That's what we were told but look around the squad and tell me those have all cost more than the ones outgoing
Frogger
Fresh Alias

Post by Frogger »

I think maybe the increase was going towards existing players contracts, wage increase/inflation etc.

The quality brought in to date has not warranted that increase two kid keepers probably on £1500 each per week if that. The rest should not more than a couple of grand a week, anymore than that and the club is being mugged off.

I understand we are a small club, I get it we can’t compete for the very best players, I totally get that some players will be a gamble, but it seems 80% of this squad is a gamble, and so far we are down by a lot.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

But we have been told that the budget was Increased by 10%………NOT slashed

I thought we played well last week at home to Birmingham and were genuinely unlucky to lose………compare that to today’s sh1t show……..we were awful.
One shot on target from Galbraith and Dan hit the bar.
Nada in the 2nd half, when we actually got worse.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Long slender neck wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:29 pm I don't understand why we have replaced 4 strikers with just Kelman?

He's El-Miz replacement so he's going to need to feature a lot more in the near future . We can't afford any more shitshows .
faith1234
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by faith1234 »

What a waste of wages on Warrington if he wasn't going to play why sign him galbraith has been playing where el misplaced but should be up the field a bit more that's where Warrington should be
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

faith1234 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:05 pm What a waste of wages on Warrington if he wasn't going to play why sign him galbraith has been playing where el misplaced but should be up the field a bit more that's where Warrington should be
Didn't they say he hadn't played in like 8 months so wasn't ready yet?
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

gshaw wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:15 pm
faith1234 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:05 pm What a waste of wages on Warrington if he wasn't going to play why sign him galbraith has been playing where el misplaced but should be up the field a bit more that's where Warrington should be
Didn't they say he hadn't played in like 8 months so wasn't ready yet?
He played against Millwall so he needs to get ready , sharpish .
Eggski
Fresh Alias

Post by Eggski »

We are a small team , low support, so we are not billy balls lol
faith1234
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by faith1234 »

Warrington should play in place of the spurs guy and play Warrington and brow together and move galbraith more up the pitch
Hedmans Header
Fresh Alias

Post by Hedmans Header »

Obviously keeping a clean sheet is critical
in this squad cos if we stick with this constant
squad we ain’t scoring enough goals to win
enough games ..
So lightweight upfront not enough quality
up top to finish sides off slippery slope back
Into league 2 ..
Good luck trying to see match tickets at £37
in the bottom tier ..
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Can we recall Moncur?
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

Hedmans Header wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:30 pm Obviously keeping a clean sheet is critical
in this squad cos if we stick with this constant
squad we ain’t scoring enough goals to win
enough games ..
So lightweight upfront not enough quality
up top to finish sides off slippery slope back
Into league 2 ..
Good luck trying to see match tickets at £37
in the bottom tier ..
Spot on