Wellens/Ling speak following the conclusion transfer window

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Bergen
Regular
Regular

Wellens/Ling speak following the conclusion transfer window

Post by Bergen »

"We took the viewpoint that we have worked with young players in the past and they have been some of our best players (Brown, Irdis, Gailbraith). We now have a young and exciting squad."

https://www.leytonorient.com/news/2024/ ... er-window/
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Wellens/Ling speak following the conclusion transfer window

Post by gshaw »

Very much classic club PR basically saying it has no money. Ling saying he can't remember a young player who hasn't improved at Orient... here's a few to jog his memory

Georgiou
Coleman
Light
Wareham
Edwards
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Sam Howes will leave next week.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

No more “we’re inexperienced “ excuses then Richie. I do understand why we’ve gone down this route - it’s cheaper and you can get good results. But I’d be happier if we’d bought in these players to develop rather than develop them for other teams. I guess there’s less risk. Time will tell but it feels risky
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

They explained the reasons for using the loan market very clearly and also why we cannot compete on wages.

From next season the financial rules will change and hence why lots of the bigger clubs have spent heavily now.

As Ritchie has said this is an exciting group of young players and I think we will surprise a lot of people this season.
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

So if/when Howes leaves, we will have to drop one of the loan keepers out the match day squad or drop one of the other loanees out to comply with max 5 loans in match day squad.
Loans are:
Kelman
Donley
Currie
Perkins
Hemming
Keeley

Provided they are all fit, then dropping one of Kelman/Currie/Donley/Perkins to accommodate 2 loan keepers seems a complete waste. Guess Perkins would be the one to be dropped.
Think we need to send Hemming back and have a permanent back up keeper, Brynn?
Norlington Road
Fresh Alias

Re: Wellens/Ling speak following the conclusion transfer windowa

Post by Norlington Road »

They both seem happy . It’s really ducking and diving to make a way . However it’s not ideal for a club who says they seriously want championship football . Judging by the comments from RW , we can just about afford L1 football and that’s with half the team on on loans . Realistically , that gives very little hope of progression and talk of new stadiums , if we can’t compete financially in L1 .
So no excuses about lack of experience , it will show I’m sure , in game management , but we have chosen this route , albeit not exactly much choice
With all the loans, and with players that we improve for bigger clubs, it’s almost like a feeder club experience .
Good luck to RW , he is a good manager and I’m sure he’ll get the best out of our squad.
We should finish 12- 16th , but not expecting more than that .
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

Yes, it’s a sobering wake up call that we struggle to complete financially in L1 despite 8,000 or so gates.
Championship looks pie in the sky unless we get a very wealthy backer and a new ground.
Last edited by PKM on Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:36 am No more “we’re inexperienced “ excuses then Richie. I do understand why we’ve gone down this route - it’s cheaper and you can get good results. But I’d be happier if we’d bought in these players to develop rather than develop them for other teams. I guess there’s less risk. Time will tell but it feels risky
I'm a huge Richie fan but watching him in that video is sad to see him being boxed into the classic "little Leyton Orient" limitations.

No CM he wanted and having to clutch at straws of Theo returning (months away), Graham still yet to return and pushing Pratley above and beyond what you'd reasonably expect from a 40 year old just to get a few senior pros out there.

He'll try and make the best of what he's been handed but he deserves better and eventually that'll be elsewhere I reckon.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

There is no doubt that the club has taken a backwards financial step since Kent scaled back his involvement and investment. We won’t be alone in struggling to keep up financially but if we are to move forward Travis needs to find the right investor or group of investors to help us be competitive at the right end of the table.

Hopefully next season when the new financial rules are due to come into play it will be a slightly more even playing field.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Top of the JES wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:33 am There is no doubt that the club has taken a backwards financial step since Kent scaled back his involvement and investment. We won’t be alone in struggling to keep up financially but if we are to move forward Travis needs to find the right investor or group of investors to help us be competitive at the right end of the table.

Hopefully next season when the new financial rules are due to come into play it will be a slightly more even playing field.
It hasn’t scaled back. He sold his shares to Coley ‘I’ve got loads of money, don’t worry’ Parry
Qin
Fresh Alias

Post by Qin »

Top of the JES wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:33 am There is no doubt that the club has taken a backwards financial step since Kent scaled back his involvement and investment. We won’t be alone in struggling to keep up financially but if we are to move forward Travis needs to find the right investor or group of investors to help us be competitive at the right end of the table.

I keep hearing about the new financial rules for next season, but haven't a clue what they are?

Can you explain what these new financial rules are please?
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Bergen wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:30 am Sam Howes will leave next week.
He wants to play regularly so will be loaned out.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:36 am No more “we’re inexperienced “ excuses then Richie. I do understand why we’ve gone down this route - it’s cheaper and you can get good results. But I’d be happier if we’d bought in these players to develop rather than develop them for other teams. I guess there’s less risk. Time will tell but it feels risky
Like Martin said , we couldn't afford the wages our loan players are on at their parent clubs . It's either have them on loan or not have them at all .
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Sid Bishop wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 11:38 am
He's now 27 and has no chance of playing for us this season . The club are going to help him get a move to a National League club . Actually , I feel sorry for Sam . Fair enough, people say he's not League One standard but he's let nobody down . I don't blame him for the 4-0 defeat at home to Portsmouth last season and thought he did well at Blackpool and Shrewsbury . I wish him good luck for the future .
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 1:23 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 11:38 am
He's now 27 and has no chance of playing for us this season . The club are going to help him get a move to a National League club . Actually , I feel sorry for Sam . Fair enough, people say he's not League One standard but he's let nobody down . I don't blame him for the 4-0 defeat at home to Portsmouth last season and thought he did well at Blackpool and Shrewsbury . I wish him good luck for the future .
From what I remember, he was outstanding in the away draw to Blackpool, which was the first point that we picked up last season ! Despite him playing so well in that game, I think he got dropped for the next game being as Sol Bryn had recovered from his injury and Sam was never given a chance to play that much after then. Be interesting as to what the plan is for next season for the goalkeeping situation, do we continue down the loan keeper route, which in that case means pointless having 3 of our own keepers on the books as we have now !!
Yanzi Gravy
Fresh Alias

Post by Yanzi Gravy »

I would like to see the back of Ling, well past sell by date.
What is he directing except for a race to bottom? I had a feeling we would sink fast this season. Need drastic changes .
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

Yanzi Gravy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:09 pm I would like to see the back of Ling, well past sell by date.
What is he directing except for a race to bottom? I had a feeling we would sink fast this season. Need drastic changes .
Totally agree.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Yanzi Gravy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:09 pm I would like to see the back of Ling, well past sell by date.
Yup, that's a nice chunk of budget to be saved right there
Mightynewsman
Fresh Alias

Post by Mightynewsman »

Wellens completely let down by the owner, I just don’t understand how other clubs like Wycombe and Burton have got billionare takeovers and we haven’t, time to move on and move with the times, sell up
MassiveForehead
Fresh Alias

Post by MassiveForehead »

Mightynewsman wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:53 pm Wellens completely let down by the owner, I just don’t understand how other clubs like Wycombe and Burton have got billionare takeovers and we haven’t, time to move on and move with the times, sell up
Has to be the correct billionaire though. We can't afford another one that would piss us away without a bank account or VAT number in 3 years.

Some short memories for some people - but I'd take a 21st this season, and an 8th next or a bit of a yo yo under this ownership than have the crap we got under the Italian.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

Sorry to say it but the interview reeks of complacency. The club has taken the view that they’re happy with a high proportion of young loanees and a smattering of calculated risks with players who have a history of fitness issues in order to achieve the low bar of “L1 consolidation”. There also seems to be a disconnect between Wellens & Ling in terms of the players provided. A perfect illustration was RW mentioning for the last two weeks that he wanted a winger brought in and we ended up with a GK and full back!
The need to get back on track is obvious. So either the “ transfer committee “ funds some cash from somewhere in the free agent market or Wellens has to make do until January.
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

We are a very unattractive club for any new owners, because a) we don't own our ground b) we have 4 ludicrous blocks of flats at each corner. A certain Mr Hearn stuffed us!