Outdoor smoking ban

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Outdoor smoking ban

Post by Dunners »

Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:36 am
E10EU wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:05 am There are so many different aspects to this idea from Starmer .....
1) He has already warned that austerity is inevitable for years to come. His attempted war on smoking is redirecting some of the public's anger on to smokers. Smokers will be painted as the greatest cost and danger to society who will therefore only be allowed to smoke behind closed doors in their own home. And those who haven't got a home won't even be allowed to smoke on their park bench.
2) It is presented as trying to save horrendous costs to the NHS for dealing with smoking related health issues. But a major proportion of the prices charged for tobacco goes to taxes and therefore the government. How will Starmer's government replace those tax revenues?
3) There are so many aspects of living in this country that damage people's health and kills them (dirty water, air pollution, chemicals in food, obesity, plastics, etc). How about his government trying to address that? Of course, it's so much easier to demonise Joe Bloggs for lighting up a fag.
4) Does Starmer's ire extend to cigar smokers? Or is that o.k. as they are not usually working class people? My unscientific observation is that many cigarette smokers often are people who find their life stressfull and unrewarding. There are also still elements where smoking was felt as aspect of being an adult.

Is this Starmer's version of 'populist politics'? Demonising smokers (who already are much reduced in numbers) as a major policy issue for his government?
How many are you on a day?

Wasn’t rishi going to ban smoking altogether for anyone currently under 16? Surely that’s worse but didn’t see people moaning about that on here.
Correct. And it was a great approach to take as it forced anyone wanting to argue against to take the position of arguing for children smoking. For a moment, the Tories had a good policy. But for some reason, which I cannot quite put my wallet it on, the idea appears to have been dropped.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:37 am
Adz wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:48 am
Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:37 pm

Getting the train to Uni in the very early 00s I got stuck in the smoking carriage once or twice. Absolutely incredible to think something like that existed so recently.
Heard someone talk about the car power point recently at work, blew his mind when I told him that was the cigarette lighter :lol:
Do new cars not come with the car lighter still in there??? What did they think that bit was ?
They come with USB ports nowadays. For charging your vapes.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Post by CEB2ElectricBoogaloo »

Woke up this morning totally bemused by that from yesterday.
Was a bit weirded out for the first half hour of that weirdness as it seemed vaguely threatening. But thinking about it, what happened was (unless I’ve missed something)

1: i post a bit of personal history that’s a bit on the bleak side
2: “rubex” immediately thinks “talking about his mum is he? I reckon I’ve spotted why this guy who comes on here, posting drawings, ranting about trans rights and getting in arguments is an IMPOSTER”
3: posts cryptic weirdness in the hopes of a gotcha
4: reveals that his big gotcha is “the real CEBs mum is dead!! Found you out!”
5: doesn’t check to make sure that that’s actually true
6: posts a lot of laugh reacts instead of, I dunno? Linking to a post where the “real” CEB describes such a thing happening?

Proper, proper bizarre posting

Edited to add: cheers LSN for deleting the weirdest ones.
To be clear, I reported the posts when I thought he was being weirdly threatening about a post I’d made, as if he knew something about me “offline”. I don’t mind at all him making a tit of himself by claiming that he’s caught out an alias (? Don’t know if that’s the right word considering I’m me…) on the basis that the real CEB’s mum is dead, when the real CEB’s mum is not dead.

What a weird post to decide to go all-in on though.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

So who is rubex in old money?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

CEB2ElectricBoogaloo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:32 am Woke up this morning totally bemused by that from yesterday.
Was a bit weirded out for the first half hour of that weirdness as it seemed vaguely threatening. But thinking about it, what happened was (unless I’ve missed something)

1: i post a bit of personal history that’s a bit on the bleak side
2: “rubex” immediately thinks “talking about his mum is he? I reckon I’ve spotted why this guy who comes on here, posting drawings, ranting about trans rights and getting in arguments is an IMPOSTER”
3: posts cryptic weirdness in the hopes of a gotcha
4: reveals that his big gotcha is “the real CEBs mum is dead!! Found you out!”
5: doesn’t check to make sure that that’s actually true
6: posts a lot of laugh reacts instead of, I dunno? Linking to a post where the “real” CEB describes such a thing happening?

Proper, proper bizarre posting

Edited to add: cheers LSN for deleting the weirdest ones.
To be clear, I reported the posts when I thought he was being weirdly threatening about a post I’d made, as if he knew something about me “offline”. I don’t mind at all him making a tit of himself by claiming that he’s caught out an alias (? Don’t know if that’s the right word considering I’m me…) on the basis that the real CEB’s mum is dead, when the real CEB’s mum is not dead.

What a weird post to decide to go all-in on though.
Yes it was a bit weird. He's troubled by the relaxed style and heavily improved and easily understandable posts of the "new" CEB and is trying to flush out the alias behind it.

Keep up the good work.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:56 am So who is rubex in old money?
I don’t know. I feel like I should be able to work it out from the “username that’s not quite a pun on anything and might just be a misspelling”
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

CEB2ElectricBoogaloo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:00 am
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:56 am So who is rubex in old money?
I don’t know. I feel like I should be able to work it out from the “username that’s not quite a pun on anything and might just be a misspelling”
My understanding is that one has to have a very high IQ to solve a Rubex Cube in record time. I'm not sure if that's a clue or not, cryptic as it is.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

But who has the IQ to misspell Rubik’s Cube?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

CEB2ElectricBoogaloo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:08 am But who has the IQ to misspell Rubik’s Cube?
Someone with a very high IQ could do it. I sense we are going round in circles on this one. I've always found detective work tougher than most things in life.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Lots of rambling and big words, but no photo as yet.....
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:23 am
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:08 am But who has the IQ to misspell Rubik’s Cube?
Someone with a very high IQ could do it. I sense we are going round in circles on this one. I've always found detective work tougher than most things in life.
Misspell or copyright avoidance, even us ThickO's understand that
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Hi Rubex.

Waiting for you to back up your claim from yesterday.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

CEB2ElectricBoogaloo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:53 pm Hi Rubex.

Careful, running the risk of him going the extra mile here just to prove he was right.
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

Presumably he’s been banned?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Relentless.

But, I'm not gonna lie, it's one of the things we all enjoyed most about CEB v1.0.
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

Ice Cream for everyone even the naughty ones :lol:
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:16 pm

Relentless.

But, I'm not gonna lie, it's one of the things we all enjoyed most about CEB v1.0.
Trouble is though , evidence has been removed & there is nothing left. Has to be thrown out as a MisTrial.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Rubex Kube wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:30 pm

Relentless.

Trouble is though , evidence has been removed & there is nothing left. Has to be thrown out as a MisTrial.
You're forgetting this is a kangaroo court which doesn't overly rely on evidence.
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:39 pm
Rubex Kube wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:30 pm

Relentless.

You're forgetting this is a kangaroo court which doesn't overly rely on evidence.
Good job I'm a Giraffe then, I'd be in deep doo doo otherwise
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Yes, LSN removed the pertinent posts when your weird evening of boardin seemed more sinister than stupid. Perhaps you didn’t think through the way “you’re who I think you are, right?” looks when someone has just (stupidly, as it turned out) revealed something personal about estranged family.

The fact that it turned out that you were just incredibly stupid means that I’d be happy for the posts to all be up.

But I’ll just ask flat out: your claim is that I am not CEB, because CEB’s mum is dead because you remember CEB talking about it. Thats what you said yesterday. So are you gonna back it up or withdraw it?
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

So you don't want Ice cream?
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

CEB2ElectricBoogaloo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:43 pm Yes, LSN removed the pertinent posts when your weird evening of boardin seemed more sinister than stupid. Perhaps you didn’t think through the way “you’re who I think you are, right?” looks when someone has just (stupidly, as it turned out) revealed something personal about estranged family.

The fact that it turned out that you were just incredibly stupid means that I’d be happy for the posts to all be up.

But I’ll just ask flat out: your claim is that I am not CEB, because CEB’s mum is dead because you remember CEB talking about it. Thats what you said yesterday. So are you gonna back it up or withdraw it?
Wait, I’m confused now. Are you the original CEB or not?
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Rubex Kube wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:46 pm So you don't want Ice cream?

nobody is laughing. You hijacked a post I made about my family to be creepy, and to then tell me that you *know* my mother to be dead, based on my posts. There’s no mileage in “LOL I’m gonna say random stuff, that’ll defuse this”: either back up your claim of what “CEB” did, or do not.
If you don’t, well you’re just leaving it as “lol I creeped someone out by claiming his mum is dead!!! lol bantz”, which is your prerogative I guess
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

CEB2ElectricBoogaloo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:51 pm
Rubex Kube wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:46 pm So you don't want Ice cream?

nobody is laughing. You hijacked a post I made about my family to be creepy, and to then tell me that you *know* my mother to be dead, based on my posts. There’s no mileage in “LOL I’m gonna say random stuff, that’ll defuse this”: either back up your claim of what “CEB” did, or do not.
If you don’t, well you’re just leaving it as “lol I creeped someone out by claiming his mum is dead!!! lol bantz”, which is your prerogative I guess
Don't you like Ice Cream?
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Genuinely enjoyed the journey from creepy “I know something about you and I’m gonna try to hold it over you” through to “A-ha - you can’t be CEB cos CEB’s mums dead, I remember him talking about it” (I am CEB, my mum’s alive, I’ve never claimed her not to be), through to the final stage of “lol if im random enough hopefully nobody will notice that I’ve made a c*** of myself”

But if it makes you happy, you at least have the warm glow of knowing that you briefly panicked me that I would have more fallout with my estranged parents because of your approach to what you thought you worked out.

C***.