Outdoor smoking ban

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Outdoor smoking ban

Post by Long slender neck »

BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Outdoor smoking ban

Post by BIGRON »

30 years + since I gave up , they say us ex smokers are the worse moaners but I won't go anywhere near people smoking ☹️☹️
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

me too Ron. A useless futile habit, where people were warned of the dangers 50 years ago. No excuse for it. Morons who do it, drain our NHS
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

As a non-smoker, it does pee me off when I'm sat outside and still have to put up with other people's smoke. Or, even sat inside, but the garden door opens and all their smoke wafts in anyway. So, without giving any due care and attention to any other considerations, and based solely on what I would like to happen, I reckon this is a great idea.

However, it's disappointing to see some of my fellow lefties once again stepping in to protect the rights of tobacco companies to profit from their cancer sticks....

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Rather than ban and cut things can Sir Kid Starver introduce some new things that make us happy instead of pointlessly debating stuff that hardly matters.

His authoritarian responses are a sure sign he's rudderless after a mere 8 weeks in charge.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:19 pm Rather than ban and cut things can Sir Kid Starver introduce some new things that make us happy instead of pointlessly debating stuff that hardly matters.

His authoritarian responses are a sure sign he's rudderless after a mere 8 weeks in charge.
Agree. If he really wanted to make a difference, he would change the way ultra processed food is marketed and sold.. over 50% of food sold in this country comes under this banner and cost the NHS many billions each year.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

He should just ban it.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

As an on-off smoker, can't say I care either way. But surely there's other things to be focusing on?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Admin wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:36 pm As an on-off smoker, can't say I care either way. But surely there's other things to be focusing on?
The leading cause of preventable death isn’t important?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Hopefully they ban vapes next. Such a crap habit.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:37 pm Hopefully they ban vapes next. Such a crap habit.
Suspect that in 20/30 years time people will be tearing their hair out at the damage to people's health (and the poor chumps who have to test them before they go on sale) these cause.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Also, as an ex-social smoker (mercifully never got hooked no matter how many I got through on Friday and Saturday nights out) just can't stand the smell anywhere now, walking in the street behind someone with a fag makes me grimace. Seems genuinely mind-blowing that in my recent lifetime it was perfectly normal to smoke indoors, everyone got used to the ban pretty quickly despite the usual suspects moaning. And not like anyone should shed a tear over Big Tobacco having their profits hit.
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:31 pm He should just ban it.
Far too much tax generated, won't be banning it
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:59 pm
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:37 pm Hopefully they ban vapes next. Such a crap habit.
Suspect that in 20/30 years time people will be tearing their hair out at the damage to people's health (and the poor chumps who have to test them before they go on sale) these cause.
Yep. All the bright coloured ones as well seem like fashion accessories for kids. I guess, that used to be the same but with cigs. See my mates smoking them and an embarrassed for them. At least cigs look cool, if you’re gonna f*** your health up
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:00 pm Also, as an ex-social smoker (mercifully never got hooked no matter how many I got through on Friday and Saturday nights out) just can't stand the smell anywhere now, walking in the street behind someone with a fag makes me grimace. Seems genuinely mind-blowing that in my recent lifetime it was perfectly normal to smoke indoors, everyone got used to the ban pretty quickly despite the usual suspects moaning. And not like anyone should shed a tear over Big Tobacco having their profits hit.
13500 pubs closed from 2000-2019
https://www.statista.com/statistics/310 ... d-kingdom/

The smoking ban was being talked up & the vocal majority claimed they wouldn't go in pubs because of the smokers, yet when smoking was banned & the pubs kept closing .
"Seems genuinely mind-blowing that in my recent lifetime it was perfectly normal to smoke indoors, everyone got used to the ban pretty quickly despite the usual suspects moaning.
Still not many shed a tear over all the big pub companies having their profits hit."
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Vaping is an improvement, but its all still just a nicotine delivery system right? I guess the act of vaping is designed to emulate smoking, be cool and the flavours and colours to appeal. But there's no real need for it to be breathable is there? May as well just be something edible but then that wouldn't have the same appeal.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:00 pmSeems genuinely mind-blowing that in my recent lifetime it was perfectly normal to smoke indoors
We used to sell cigarettes to 16 year olds for £2 for a pack of ten in recent memory

That’s so mental to me now
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

CEB2ElectricBoogaloo wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:37 pm Hoping for someone to do a reverse thread with me as Julia Sawalha in Ab Fab
A man pretending to be a woman? Uh oh.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Brigs wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:30 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:00 pm Also, as an ex-social smoker (mercifully never got hooked no matter how many I got through on Friday and Saturday nights out) just can't stand the smell anywhere now, walking in the street behind someone with a fag makes me grimace. Seems genuinely mind-blowing that in my recent lifetime it was perfectly normal to smoke indoors, everyone got used to the ban pretty quickly despite the usual suspects moaning. And not like anyone should shed a tear over Big Tobacco having their profits hit.

The smoking ban was being talked up & the vocal majority claimed they wouldn't go in pubs because of the smokers, yet when smoking was banned & the pubs kept closing .
"Seems genuinely mind-blowing that in my recent lifetime it was perfectly normal to smoke indoors, everyone got used to the ban pretty quickly despite the usual suspects moaning.
Still not many shed a tear over all the big pub companies having their profits hit."
Pointless arguing with you Tuffers, but i reckon there is a multitude of reasons for pub closures.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:46 pm

Pointless arguing with you Tuffers, but i reckon there is a multitude of reasons for pub closures.
No, it's only the smoking ban. No other factors. None.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Post by CEB2ElectricBoogaloo »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:46 pm
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:37 pm Hoping for someone to do a reverse thread with me as Julia Sawalha in Ab Fab
A man pretending to be a woman? Uh oh.
When have I ever taken issue with the idea that a man can become a woman?
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Post by CEB2ElectricBoogaloo »

Bit weird… but go on
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:46 pm

I'm Brigs - Paul Brigstone .
I'm sure there are lots of reasons., I'm Just thinking of the lost income tax for 13,500 pubs workers,.
The extra duty that was put on a pint or a half of beer or a short, tax on cigarettes.
All money that could be used by the country.

I really don't care about the smokers the drinkers the pub goers etc. Just about the taxes that are no longer available..
Last edited by Brigs on Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

CEB2ElectricBoogaloo wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:56 pm Bit weird… but go on
Calm down lad, I've said nothing
Last edited by Rubex Kube on Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:31 pm Vaping is an improvement, but its all still just a nicotine delivery system right? I guess the act of vaping is designed to emulate smoking, be cool and the flavours and colours to appeal. But there's no real need for it to be breathable is there? May as well just be something edible but then that wouldn't have the same appeal.
Why the need for a fix of nicotine at all ?