Has Ross earned the job

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Has Ross earned the job

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:02 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:28 pm Judd for Ling was ok but Alabi instead of Harrold was a poor decision by Ross. Hopefully he’s learned something today.
Agreed, we have to accept Alabi is a waste of time. We had been playing some great stuff but that all went to pot with Alabi.

Bringing on Gorman didn’t help either. Clay had been superb, no way should he have been replaced. Wright and Gorman didn’t win a ball between them. Then to top it off Dale sticks a late one on Morris, wasting time arguing with the ref over it as he was rightly booked.

It’s difficult to blame Ross for the lack of squad depth but questions need to be asked if this new kid from Spurs is worse than Gorman.
The simple truth is Gorman and Alabi are only National League standard . There's a reason JE put Alabi on the transfer list and didn't pick Gorman that much
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Up to now, we have played some of the weakest teams in this division and then good old Palmer turns up today and shuts up those Os supporters on this forum who used to non stop put him down and yes twice within a couple of minutes he proved he CAN hit a barn door !! There was young ''dOh Nut'' ( amongst others ) the other night, cock a hoop about Ross and some on this forum raring to give Ross the full time job soon and thinking of him as some sort of tactical genius after the good comeback on Tuesday night, well but back to earth with a bang today.
Tom Chance
Fresh Alias

Post by Tom Chance »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:14 pm
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:02 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:28 pm Judd for Ling was ok but Alabi instead of Harrold was a poor decision by Ross. Hopefully he’s learned something today.
Agreed, we have to accept Alabi is a waste of time. We had been playing some great stuff but that all went to pot with Alabi.

Bringing on Gorman didn’t help either. Clay had been superb, no way should he have been replaced. Wright and Gorman didn’t win a ball between them. Then to top it off Dale sticks a late one on Morris, wasting time arguing with the ref over it as he was rightly booked.

It’s difficult to blame Ross for the lack of squad depth but questions need to be asked if this new kid from Spurs is worse than Gorman.
The simple truth is Gorman and Alabi are only National League standard . There's a reason JE put Alabi on the transfer list and didn't pick Gorman that much
National League South at best!
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Back down to earth after my bought of premature expectations of last week. Orient Style. But it shouldn’t go unnoticed but at 4:20 on Saturday we were joint top,of the table. OK a fleeting moment that didn’t last but it was a position I never thought we would achieve at all this season, no matter how short it lasted.

We all have opinions about how he managed the game at 2-1, not too well as the result suggests. But let’s not overlook his mini-achievement during the game. I thought his starting 11 was good for a home game against a solid Crawley team and with better finishing the result should have been beyond doubt early on.

And overall I though we played some really good stuff at times. So not all doom and gloom despite the disappointment.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:59 am Back down to earth after my bought of premature expectations of last week. Orient Style. But it shouldn’t go unnoticed but at 4:20 on Saturday we were joint top,of the table. OK a fleeting moment that didn’t last but it was a position I never thought we would achieve at all this season, no matter how short it lasted.

We all have opinions about how he managed the game at 2-1, not too well as the result suggests. But let’s not overlook his mini-achievement during the game. I thought his starting 11 was good for a home game against a solid Crawley team and with better finishing the result should have been beyond doubt early on.

And overall I though we played some really good stuff at times. So not all doom and gloom despite the disappointment.
Agree Sid.
Ross has got to be he’s own man.Take advice yes, but ultimately he makes the final decision.
Didn’t go on Saturday but what I have heard is mostly good and I think he has now binned the ludicrous wing back system.

like to see him move towards an out an out 4 4 2 with two wide players attacking down the wings. We might not Win every game but it will be great to watch.
It is far better to take the game to the opposition rather than stand around playing in your own half waiting for them to die of boredom.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Byways1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:43 am
dOh Nut wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:59 am Back down to earth after my bought of premature expectations of last week. Orient Style. But it shouldn’t go unnoticed but at 4:20 on Saturday we were joint top,of the table. OK a fleeting moment that didn’t last but it was a position I never thought we would achieve at all this season, no matter how short it lasted.

Agree Sid.
Ross has got to be he’s own man.Take advice yes, but ultimately he makes the final decision.
Didn’t go on Saturday but what I have heard is mostly good and I think he has now binned the ludicrous wing back system.

like to see him move towards an out an out 4 4 2 with two wide players attacking down the wings. We might not Win every game but it will be great to watch.
It is far better to take the game to the opposition rather than stand around playing in your own half waiting for them to die of boredom.
I agree, the best form of defence is attack. I know we'll lose a fair share of games this season but it doesn't matter what formation we use if our defence switches off .
PoundhillO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoundhillO »

Agree Sid.

Totally agree, one of the most frustrating ways of playing is standing around in your own half passing aimlessly sideways and back , it not only p*sses me off for being negative but it reduces the amount of time that we are attacking and subsequently the amount of chances of scoring.
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

In answer to the original post question, I thought when the interim appointments were made it would likely take 10-12 games to form a proper opinion, and think that is still my take on it.
Blackadder II
Fresh Alias

Post by Blackadder II »

So, in other words, if the club can possibly take the cheap option, then that's how it's going to pan out.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Blackadder II wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:17 pm So, in other words, if the club can possibly take the cheap option, then that's how it's going to pan out.
No not really.
There is no guarantee an experienced manager will be any better.
You are likely to appoint someone who has already failed elsewhere.
We will see by the end of October if Ross has got what it takes.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Byways1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:34 pm
Blackadder II wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:17 pm So, in other words, if the club can possibly take the cheap option, then that's how it's going to pan out.
No not really.
He needs until Christmas unless the wheels have totally fallen off.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

More I think about it the more I worry that the fact we are even having to think about if he’s the right man or not means he’s not.

Remember when Slade came in and when Justin came in. You knew they were the right men from day one.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:52 pm More I think about it the more I worry that the fact we are even having to think about if he’s the right man or not means he’s not.

Remember when Slade came in and when Justin came in. You knew they were the right men from day one.
Interesting point.

Does familiarity breed contempt?
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:52 pm More I think about it the more I worry that the fact we are even having to think about if he’s the right man or not means he’s not.

You are of course right.

He won’t be our long term manager. At some point this season a new man will come in and Ross can get back to doing what he does best, coaching.

I don’t know why everyone is getting so het up in the meantime.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Disoriented wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:37 pm
No not really.
Ive a feeling one of the wheels will fall off saturday and Salford will rip us a new bum hole 🤔🤔
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

BIGRON wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:21 pm
Disoriented wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:37 pm

No not really.
Ive a feeling one of the wheels will fall off saturday and Salford will rip us a new bum hole 🤔🤔
3-1 win for Salford ?
If we do manage a win there, then hats off to all the players and the whole of the coaching team, but if that does happen, Ross then be appointed as our manager, no at least a couple more months of results before a decision is made there. On the other hand, if we do go on a really disastrous slump of form, the a new manager from outside will have to come in.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Yes for a few days ''Captain Sensible'' ( dOh Nut ) became Corporal Jones and as Captain Mainwaring would say ''Started drifting into the realms of Fantasy'' !!
All good fun though !!
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:04 pm

You are of course right.

He won’t be our long term manager. At some point this season a new man will come in and Ross can get back to doing what he does best, coaching.

Yeah, I agree with that . The worry is because some of us are scared we'll end up back in the National League . After all we've been through that can't be allowed to happen. Some of us feel we need an experienced manager ASAP to ensure that doesn't happen
Last edited by RedDwarf 1881 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Sid Bishop wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:40 pm

Yes for a few days ''Captain Sensible'' ( dOh Nut ) became Corporal Jones and as Captain Mainwaring would say ''Started drifting into the realms of Fantasy'' !!
All good fun though !!
It felt good whilst it lasted. But private Pike as rerturned so business as usual.

My weakness Sid is always looking for the good in people. I’ve never believed Ross was the right man for the job but he is in charge so I look for the positives rather than the negatives. So when Tuesday happened I went a bit OTT. More in hope than expectation tbh.

Saturday reminded me that my initial feelings may be right after all. But still too soon to judge and I hope he proves to be the man for the job. If not, exchange Ross for Russ.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:41 pm

You are of course right.

Yeah, I agree with that . The worry is because some of us are scared we'll end up back in the National League . After all we've been through that can't be allowed to happen. Some of us feel we need an experienced manager ASAP to ensure it doesn't .
There’s literally 0% chance of us being relegated.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:17 pm

You are of course right.

Yeah, I agree with that . The worry is because some of us are scared we'll end up back in the National League . After all we've been through that can't be allowed to happen. Some of us feel we need an experienced manager ASAP to ensure it doesn't .
👀👀👀
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:54 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:40 pm

All good fun though !!
It felt good whilst it lasted. But private Pike as rerturned so business as usual.

My weakness Sid is always looking for the good in people. I’ve never believed Ross was the right man for the job but he is in charge so I look for the positives rather than the negatives. So when Tuesday happened I went a bit OTT. More in hope than expectation tbh.

Saturday reminded me that my initial feelings may be right after all. But still too soon to judge and I hope he proves to be the man for the job. If not, exchange Ross for Russ.
Ok, many did the same as you. Got over excited and off into the ''realms of fantasy'' all brought on by a combination of over expectation, sunshine and perhaps in the heat of the moment...a couple of extra ales !!
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Agree Sid.

In reply to @dOh Nut comment you replied ''Agree Sid.......... ?
Official Notice, DOh Nut and Sid Bishop are NOT the same person !!
We may agree sometimes, both in our 70s but on this subject we have differing opinions !
Anyway the RE subject regarding appointing him as next manager, well support for that idea has somewhat slowed down since Saturdays result.
IMO, better to wait at least 12 to 15 games before any sort of a pattern emerges. For my part, not that impressed so far, time will tell !
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

You are of course right.

Please God you're right because I've read similar statements in both seasons we got relegated. From League One down to Two, then out all together to the National League .
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:31 pm

Please God you're right because I've read similar statements in both seasons we got relegated. From League One down to Two, then out all together to the National League .
No we won’t go down, but we won’t be in the top half unless we strengthen the team.