ex player slagging off ling

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: ex player slagging off ling

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Also some of the same people defending Ross on here were telling me to stop over reacting at the manager calling out young players for one mistake.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:58 am What comment FFS?

The fact everyone is ignoring this straight forward question says it all.
It's as verbatim as I could be bothered to transcribe. There's nothing left out.

He started a bit before by discussing the formation:
Playing with 3 CBs and 2 WBs, you’re really relying on 2 FBs to provide the width and delivery

Going on last year, obviously, I can only go on what I see last year. I see all the home games last year. Delivery is not that great is it, to be honest.
Bit further on, one of the fans (Lee) said:
Fullbacks, the 2 boys, Ling and Judd. Juddy is a fantastic FB but for whatever reason, it’s not working for him at the moment, things aren’t working. And Ling, he’s had a tough season last year and a good season, the season before, so I’m more than happy with that. Turley signed as well, more than enough cover and we’ve got a couple of young boys as well, Ogie and Sweeney, more than well covered there.
Then they were asked what formation and where they should play, and if Kevin ever had to play as a wingback. Kevin replied:
I mean, it depends on the players you’ve got doesn’t it, I don’t think wingbacks suits our players. I think Widdowson done better than I expected last season as a wingback. The other side, we ain't got anybody as far as I’m concerned, to be quite honest. I think Myles Judd, he likes to defend and he can be impetuous at times but I think his distribution needs a lot of work. Sam Ling I don’t think can defend for his life to be quite honest and I don’t think he offers you anything going forward. That’s my opinion, but, I think we don’t have any cover for Joe and it’s only really young lads which might be an issue going forward.
A few minutes after, Kev went on to say (in reply to the question that most full backs aren't trained to play at wing back:
Most fullbacks these days don’t defend very well, do they? And I’m even talking about Premiership FBs. They play more like wingers

His language was a bit clumsy but the essence of it was spot on. He equally criticised Judd but Ross hasn't mentioned that criticism. They're either being overly protective because he's Martin Ling's son or they rate him as a good right back. Either way, they're in the wrong.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:31 am It’s all very interesting considering Ross publicly called out our other right back in his post match interview, for making a mistake in the game.

But had a problem with someone else doing it to a different right back.
He didn't slag Judd off to the same extent.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:49 am
Lucky7 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:45 am
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:38 am Thank goodness this forum is independent of the club, or you can guarantee, there would be interference on what you could post.

The club are ultra sensitive to anything about Sam Ling. Even when he first arrived here, i remember Justin , on a video, emphasising over & over, that Martin Ling had absolutely nothing to do with his son coming here......yeah right!!!!!!

On twitter, during a game, whenever Sam Ling does something pretty ordinary, the clubs twitter feed makes it sound like he's done something amazing etc

Nepotism is alive and thriving at Leyton Orient fc thats for sure
Change the record will you boring zzzz
Tell you whats boring mate.....you stalking me, and posting a few mins after me non stop, and posting the same half a dozen words zzzzzzzzzzzz
Stalking you😂😂
Face it your a boring dullard
Mate? Jeez never

Have you got concrete proof of this nepotism?
Was that a big fat NO!!!
careful with your conspiracies the club spies might hunt you down for slander
You should know by now after your billion years following Orient football is obviously not the sport for you
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Clumsy is probably a good word to describe his comments. But to say he can’t defend for his life is a bit OTT. Going forward he offers a long throw. Tbf he has the odd really good moments.

I do think Ling gets special treatment. A couple of MOTM awards, OTT boosting from JE when he played not 100% fit and the line that he brilliantly kept the ball in play prior to a goal when, looking at the replays it was a bog standard move and not brilliant at all.

Maybe Ling suffers from confidence issues and the club massage his ego sometimes.
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:03 am
Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:31 am It’s all very interesting considering Ross publicly called out our other right back in his post match interview, for making a mistake in the game.

Didn’t slag Judd of to the same extent as this would have been unwarranted and unfair !
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:56 am
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:58 am What comment FFS?

The fact everyone is ignoring this straight forward question says it all.
It's as verbatim as I could be bothered to transcribe. There's nothing left out.

He started a bit before by discussing the formation:
Playing with 3 CBs and 2 WBs, you’re really relying on 2 FBs to provide the width and delivery

Going on last year, obviously, I can only go on what I see last year. I see all the home games last year. Delivery is not that great is it, to be honest.
Bit further on, one of the fans (Lee) said:
Fullbacks, the 2 boys, Ling and Judd. Juddy is a fantastic FB but for whatever reason, it’s not working for him at the moment, things aren’t working. And Ling, he’s had a tough season last year and a good season, the season before, so I’m more than happy with that. Turley signed as well, more than enough cover and we’ve got a couple of young boys as well, Ogie and Sweeney, more than well covered there.
Then they were asked what formation and where they should play, and if Kevin ever had to play as a wingback. Kevin replied:
I mean, it depends on the players you’ve got doesn’t it, I don’t think wingbacks suits our players. I think Widdowson done better than I expected last season as a wingback. The other side, we ain't got anybody as far as I’m concerned, to be quite honest. I think Myles Judd, he likes to defend and he can be impetuous at times but I think his distribution needs a lot of work. Sam Ling I don’t think can defend for his life to be quite honest and I don’t think he offers you anything going forward. That’s my opinion, but, I think we don’t have any cover for Joe and it’s only really young lads which might be an issue going forward.
A few minutes after, Kev went on to say (in reply to the question that most full backs aren't trained to play at wing back:
Most fullbacks these days don’t defend very well, do they? And I’m even talking about Premiership FBs. They play more like wingers

His language was a bit clumsy but the essence of it was spot on. He equally criticised Judd but Ross hasn't mentioned that criticism. They're either being overly protective because he's Martin Ling's son or they rate him as a good right back. Either way, they're in the wrong.
Thanks for putting all that down. I would have but there was no way I was going to make myself listen back to the show.

How can anyone take offence to anything within that? Disagree with his opinion by all means (which I don't) but this reaction from the club is ridiculous.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

PoundhillO wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:23 am

Didn’t slag Judd of to the same extent as this would have been unwarranted and unfair !
The context is different though.

Judds own manager called him out publicly. Whatever was said, the opinion of a fan is completely different to a manager publicly calling out a player (who’s younger than Ling) for one mistake.

But wherever you sit on this argument, it’s double standards from Ross.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Btw as much as I don’t rate Ling, I get that his situation is difficult. No matter what he does, he knows that some people will always think he’s in the team cos of his old man. I think the club clamouring to defend or big him up in any situation doesn’t help that but I understand it.
Ling will never be a proper success here for those reasons, and his ability (imo)
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

I had no idea you had turned into such a delicate little snowflake. It's quite sweet.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:29 am Btw as much as I don’t rate Ling, I get that his situation is difficult. No matter what he does, he knows that some people will always think he’s in the team cos of his old man. I think the club clamouring to defend or big him up in any situation doesn’t help that but I understand it.
Ling will never be a proper success here for those reasons, and his ability (imo)
With that in mind we should probably not have signed him.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

If the Club are coming out and getting involved in a show's output based on comments like that then it's a) weird and b) made it worse. Plenty of people who wouldn't have listened to the show are now aware of it what was said (which, let's be honest, isn't that bad) and discussing it elsewhere.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Max B Gold wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:41 am
Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:29 am Btw as much as I don’t rate Ling, I get that his situation is difficult. No matter what he does, he knows that some people will always think he’s in the team cos of his old man. I think the club clamouring to defend or big him up in any situation doesn’t help that but I understand it.
With that in mind we should probably not have signed him.
I don’t think it helped that it was strange signing at the time anyway.

Dagenham were having financial trouble and no doubt it wasn’t a great place to go to work, we’d already released him, we also had Caprice and Judd who was seen as a great prospect and is younger than Ling.

The signing didn’t really make any sense and all of this just adds to the strangeness.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

The few times I have seen ling he hasn’t done to bad.
But I’ve always felt he is a midfielder filling in at full back.
Give him a run in midfield and you will see a decent player(like he’s old man)
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Byways1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:50 am The few times I have seen ling he hasn’t done to bad.
He's nowhere near the footballer his old man was.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:53 am
Byways1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:50 am The few times I have seen ling he hasn’t done to bad.
Stick him in midfield and you will find out.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Good one.
eppingo
Fresh Alias

Post by eppingo »

think the club is unwise to clamp down on peoples opinions, don't want to go back to the time when hearn s henchmen were turfing people out of the east stand for slagging him off. there is a lot of people in the club that are against the director of football roll and the signings that have been made and this is unfortunately been taken out on sam
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Byways1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:59 am
I honestly don't know, has he ever played in midfield before ?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:27 pm

He’s main position was centre mid as a youth player. And I can see that.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

I was actually saying he might be our answer to having a defensive midfielder last season ...
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:28 pm

For what I’ve seen of him he is a midfielder all day long.
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

Byways1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:32 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:28 pm

For what I’ve seen of him he is a midfielder all day long.
Who would he replace in midfield in your opinion ?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

I always admired the height his old man could jump from a standing start to avoid a tackle.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Proposition Joe wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:43 am If the Club are coming out and getting involved in a show's output based on comments like that then it's a) weird and b) made it worse. Plenty of people who wouldn't have listened to the show are now aware of it what was said (which, let's be honest, isn't that bad) and discussing it elsewhere.
It doesn't sound like they are getting involved though. It seems Embleton brought it up and then Gilson apologised for it. Had it not been mentioned in the interview then would anyone had even known it had rattled Embleton's cage, let alone there being an apology? I wonder if this got back to Gilson via Dulcet Dave after the game and that's when the apology came.

Can't help feel that this is a fuss over not a lot, with Embleton being too sensitive and making an error of judgement in his reaction and Gilson unnecessarily apologising for Dickenson's comment. Far from the freedom of speech issue it's being made out to be.