Woke watch.

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Re: Woke watch.

Post by Proposition Joe »

Slavery was normal.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Post by CEB2ElectricBoogaloo »

Veganism/not eating meat will almost certainly become the ethical norm in the not too distant future, and I actually quite like the little societal nudges towards it (like treating “cow milk” as a weird thing to want)

PETA though seem to be more about getting their name in the paper than in persuading anyone. Their last stunt, as I recall, was asking Warhammer to stop making barbarian figures wear animal skins.

And isn’t there something about PETA being stridently anti pet, and even euthanising healthy animals in significant numbers?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 8:53 am Slavery was normal.
You're comparing the food chain to slavery? :D
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

PETA are definitely crank-adjacent and, despite usually being based on fact or relatively reasonable thinking, some of their campaigns are probably doing more harm than good due to being so ridiculous. But credit it to them, they have a modus operandi of being absurd, regularly getting the attention they seek and winding up people like Dunnem.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Long slender neck wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:54 am
Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 8:53 am Slavery was normal.
You're comparing the food chain to slavery? :D
No, just pointing out that "it's normal" is a really dumb argument.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Its dumber to say paint is normalising something already normal.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:55 am PETA are definitely crank-adjacent and, despite usually being based on fact or relatively reasonable thinking, some of their campaigns are probably doing more harm than good due to being so ridiculous. But credit it to them, they have a modus operandi of being absurd, regularly getting the attention they seek and winding up people like Dunnem.

I don’t understand why you’d see “successfully getting attention” as deserving credit when they’re cranky and absurd, and make it very easy to popularise the idea that veganism is by extension the preserve of absurd cranks.

As far as I can see, veganism and reduced consumption of meat/animal products is happening because of better alternatives becoming more readily available. These stunts are actively off putting to the undecided, no?

Basically, what I’m getting at is Veganism doesn’t need to be anywhere near the idea of “woke” - the health aspect and the general awareness of sustainability and cruelty concerns is already working, no?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

If someone sets out to be a pr!ck and is good at it, or wants to be really annoying and successfully annoys people, then there's a modicum of credit due, no? It doesn't do anyone any good but they've achieved what they intended to do.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Ah, got it. Yes, to be fair, they are very good at finding the exact place to decide to kick up a stink for maximum headline potential.

Anyway I’m off to beaten by a whisker for a tasty vegan sausage roll.
I think the staff team has been imported wholesale from Froth & Rind. Either that or a glitch in the matrix meaning the peak Walthamstow barista models are being reused in multiple cafes
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Its what half of us here hope to achieve.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

CEB2ElectricBoogaloo wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:23 am Ah, got it. Yes, to be fair, they are very good at finding the exact place to decide to kick up a stink for maximum headline potential.

Anyway I’m off to beaten by a whisker for a tasty vegan sausage roll.
I think the staff team has been imported wholesale from Froth & Rind. Either that or a glitch in the matrix meaning the peak Walthamstow barista models are being reused in multiple cafes
Had the same sensation with the staff at Forest Road Tesco and the Coop by Blackhorse Road tube, actually turns out half the staff work at both of them.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:25 am
I'm not on X so can't see the replies, but presumably a load of right wing ranting about "PC gone mad". Brum was a kiddies programme about a car called Brum and that warning notice was put up by mistake, as was acknowledged by the BBC shortly afterwards.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

It was definitely a mistake
idontkn0 M
Fresh Alias

Post by idontkn0 M »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:58 am It was definitely a mistake
If BBC said it was a mistake it was a mistake
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

idontkn0 M wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:11 pm
Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:58 am It was definitely a mistake
If BBC said it was a mistake it was a mistake
It was definitely a mistake
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Irish schoolbook publisher EdCo has apologised for its portrayal of a "typical Irish family" in a lesson aimed at highlighting diversity.

A red-headed Irish family were shown in Aran jumpers outside a cottage where they "eat potatoes, bacon and cabbage every day" and they "do not like change or difference". The children "get told off if we mix with people with a different religion from ours as they would be a bad influence on us".

They are contrasted with a diverse family who love change and difference, enjoy curry, pizza and Asian food, and spend their time travelling abroad, frequenting art galleries. They also house swap with a family in a different country most years.

The metro elitist mindset revealed in all its glory.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/e ... 61184.html

idontkn0 M
Fresh Alias

Post by idontkn0 M »

faldO wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:59 am Irish schoolbook publisher EdCo has apologised for its portrayal of a "typical Irish family" in a lesson aimed at highlighting diversity.

A red-headed Irish family were shown in Aran jumpers outside a cottage where they "eat potatoes, bacon and cabbage every day" and they "do not like change or difference". The children "get told off if we mix with people with a different religion from ours as they would be a bad influence on us".

They are contrasted with a diverse family who love change and difference, enjoy curry, pizza and Asian food, and spend their time travelling abroad, frequenting art galleries. They also house swap with a family in a different country most years.

The metro elitist mindset revealed in all its glory.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/e ... 61184.html

Sigh. Sickening.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

More discrimination against gingers. And, as usual, deafening silence from the so-called anti-racists.

:(
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Pretty funny that something 'woke' actually managed to be incredibly racist.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Identity politics will always eventually bite itself on its arse.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

About a year ago, when I was over in Ireland, I recall watching one of those imbecilic audience political debate shows you get on the telly, usually on a Sunday morning. You know the ones - where everyone already has their point of view, and is just looking for an opportunity to say it loudly at opponents, and neither side is ever going to be persuaded by the other (never mind actually try and understand their views).

The topic was about mass migration into Ireland, and that many in the studio were objecting to what they feel was a policy being imposed on them, without any democratic mandate. Judging by which comments received the most claps, I think it was fair to say that the vast majority of the studio audience was of the opinion that they were uneasy with the situation.

Then there were the usual pro-immigration lobbyists providing the counter argument as to why this was a good thing really, necessary even, and that the Irish should embrace it. There were even a few remarks that immigrants were just as Irish as those who could trace their lineage in Ireland back multiple generations.

But my favourite comment came from one of the woke element in the audience (yes, they had dyed their hair purple). It was essentially along the lines of mass immigration into Ireland being a consequence of colonialism. Said without shame. To an Irish audience.

Well, it cheered me up and made my Sunday morning.
idontkn0 M
Fresh Alias

Post by idontkn0 M »

Dunners wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:26 am About a year ago, when I was over in Ireland, I recall watching one of those imbecilic audience political debate shows you get on the telly, usually on a Sunday morning. You know the ones - where everyone already has their point of view, and is just looking for an opportunity to say it loudly at opponents, and neither side is ever going to be persuaded by the other (never mind actually try and understand their views).

The topic was about mass migration into Ireland, and that many in the studio were objecting to what they feel was a policy being imposed on them, without any democratic mandate. Judging by which comments received the most claps, I think it was fair to say that the vast majority of the studio audience was of the opinion that they were uneasy with the situation.

Then there were the usual pro-immigration lobbyists providing the counter argument as to why this was a good thing really, necessary even, and that the Irish should embrace it. There were even a few remarks that immigrants were just as Irish as those who could trace their lineage in Ireland back multiple generations.

But my favourite comment came from one of the woke element in the audience (yes, they had dyed their hair purple). It was essentially along the lines of mass immigration into Ireland being a consequence of colonialism. Said without shame. To an Irish audience.

Yeh just doesn't make sense there.

There is a village in Ireland somewhere with a population of about 187 - fair few elderly. And the government have installed/are fighting to install a 'refugee'/migrant centre there holding about 250+ mostly 20/30/40 year old men.

What is driving it
idontkn0 M
Fresh Alias

Post by idontkn0 M »

idontkn0 M wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:09 pm
Dunners wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:26 am About a year ago, when I was over in Ireland, I recall watching one of those imbecilic audience political debate shows you get on the telly, usually on a Sunday morning. You know the ones - where everyone already has their point of view, and is just looking for an opportunity to say it loudly at opponents, and neither side is ever going to be persuaded by the other (never mind actually try and understand their views).

Yeh just doesn't make sense there.

There is a village in Ireland somewhere with a population of about 187 - fair few elderly. And the government have installed/are fighting to install a 'refugee'/migrant centre there holding about 250+ mostly 20/30/40 year old men.

What is driving it
Dundrum village. 160 locals. 280 migrants.

Nothing against the migrants, would undoubtedly do the same in their shoes.

Feel for the locals and begs the question: WHY is this happening? Far and wide
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Why is what happening?