To avoid derailing the Olympics thread…

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Snowflake
Fresh Alias

Re: To avoid derailing the Olympics thread…

Post by Snowflake »

I would Hope what's happening in Bolton
doesn't spill over to next week's game.It sickens me to see what's happening. I have every reason to believe in our Asian friends Muslim are all are very welcome
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Ouch. Never celebrate until the job is done.

Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Dunners wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:14 pm Ouch. Never celebrate until the job is done.

That was NOT in the 2024 Olympic games !!
Friday, June 7 2024, Spain's Laura Garcia-Caro missed out on a major medal in the 20km race walk, at the European Athletics Championships, just five metres from the finish line by starting the party prematurely. Garcia-Caro, in third place going into the final straight in Rome's Stadio Olimpico, began to celebrate what she thought was a bronze medal as she approached the finish line with bronze being snatched in dramatic fashion by Ukraine’s Lyudmila Olyanovska as she overtook Spain’s aghast figure of Laura Garcia-Caro, who had begun her celebrations a few paces away from the line.
Last edited by Sid Bishop on Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Thank you Sid for putting me right on a point I was unsure of.
Last edited by Dunners on Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Race walk is stupid anyway so she deserved everything she (didn't) got.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Dunners wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:25 pm Thank you Sid for putting my right on a point I was unsure of.
She should have looked over her shoulder before she started her premature celebration !
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Dunners wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:14 pm Ouch. Never celebrate until the job is done.

You should be ashamed for spreading false information like this. 😡

You, Yaxley-Lenin and the bloke from Hope Not Hate are as bad as each other.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

StillSpike wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:26 pm Race walk is stupid anyway so she deserved everything she (didn't) got.
Silly, surely...
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

Sid Bishop wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:24 pm

Friday, June 7 2024, Spain's Laura Garcia-Caro missed out on a major medal in the 20km race walk, at the European Athletics Championships, just five metres from the finish line by starting the party prematurely. Garcia-Caro, in third place going into the final straight in Rome's Stadio Olimpico, began to celebrate what she thought was a bronze medal as she approached the finish line with bronze being snatched in dramatic fashion by Ukraine’s Lyudmila Olyanovska as she overtook Spain’s aghast figure of Laura Garcia-Caro, who had begun her celebrations a few paces away from the line.
I didn’t realise race walks were so (relatively) short. 20km isn’t even half a marathon. I always thought they were like 50km+ to at least make them impressive in terms of endurance.
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

The Reverend wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 6:11 pm

I didn’t realise race walks were so (relatively) short. 20km isn’t even half a marathon. I always thought they were like 50km+ to at least make them impressive in terms of endurance.
20 & 50KM, 50k dropped from 2020
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

The Reverend wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 6:11 pm

Not that many men let alone women could go on a very fast walking race for that long a distance, I mean 20 KM is 12.4274238 miles which is NEARLY the distance of a half marathon road race eg A half marathon is a road running event of 21.0975 kilometres (13 miles 192.5 yards)
Rather them than me !!
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Watch then in slow motion and they're all running
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Adz wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 10:11 pm Watch then in slow motion and they're all running
The rules sat heel first is not running and in that brief clip above sure enough her heel is down first so that is quite legal walking at pace. If they are seen by the judges to be running then they get disqualified.
Last edited by Sid Bishop on Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

https://www.skysports.com/olympics/vide ... -explained

Boy do I feel silly for doubting whether the IBA can be trusted.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Sid Bishop wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:03 am
The rules say heel first is not running
Awkward :oops:
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Mick McQuaid wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 8:04 am https://www.skysports.com/olympics/vide ... -explained

Boy do I feel silly for doubting whether the IBA can be trusted.
The bloke hosting the press conference was clearly out of his depth.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Post by CEB2ElectricBoogaloo »

I see Mick’s back with another sneer, but nothing at all to say about whether the test results are valid.
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

Sorry, are you actually saying what the IBA say should be taken at face value?
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Sigh.

No: I’m saying that there are test results that have been determined. The tests were carried out in a lab accredited by the court for arbitration in sport.
Neither athlete appealed to CAS - in fact Khelif started an appeal then withdrew it.

The sex of these athletes is legitimately in question, and the IOCs “we’ll go by the passport” is obviously not fit for purpose.

So I’m suggesting that these athletes should be sex tested, and that screening for sex should take place to ensure this never happens again.

Which I’m *pretty* sure you agreed with.
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

Sigh indeed, because that's not what you were saying at all.

You have said categorically that Khelife is male and named the DSD which accounts for her appearance. Youvhave said that she has clearly gone through male puberty, because you have the ability to look at a fully clothed person and determine that. That is not the same as saying there are legitimate questions.

The IBA is under the complete control of the Russian state, you know the country that are banned from the Olympics and have a bit of a history of making sh*t up to cause a ruckus. Khelife was disqualified from a competition (not banned from competing) 3 days after beating a previously undefeated Russian boxer, who went back to having a perfect record as a result. The IBA have not said what test they carried out and gave contradictory answers when questioned. The IBA cannot be trusted.

I have no idea why Khelife dropped her appeal but it's plausible that the people paying decided it wasn't worth it as the IOC were binning the IBA off anyway, and she was not actually banned.

I have not said whether I think Khelife is eligible or not, I don't know and recognise I cannot know. Anything the IBA says has to be taken with a massive shovel of salt, and I'm afraid I am unable to carry out genetic testing on someone merely by looking at them on tv.

As I have said repeatedly I have no argument with anyone saying there should be a proper eligibility tests at the Olympics, I think I have been absolutely clear on what it is I do disagree with but as usual you argue against what you think I have said, or what you think that implies my views are, rather than what I have actually said.

I also think only the absolute biggest of self righteous twats would refuse to refer to her as female even if she is ineligible.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Khelif is male.
The test results are not in dispute. The test results were carried out in a lab accredited by the CAS.

My position is that since the IBA have legitimate reasons to not run boxing under IBA’s legislation (for reasons that are not related to sex), the IOC should test these athletes for sex.

And no, again, I am not determining anything based on looks alone. The masculine appearance would not be a legitimate reason to disqualify a boxer. It’s the fact that eligibility tests determined that Khelif was male, together with the fact that XY chromosomes + masculinised appearance signal a specific condition which literally results in the exact chain of events (assumed female at birth, raised as if a girl, normal male development happens at puberty) that does that.

And the only way that the scandal of athletes with male advantage in the female category will be addressed is by public outcry and support of athletes past and present who recognise this as a scandal.

If I’m wrong and Khelif is female (clue - I’m not) then the IOC’s lack of a robust screening process to determine eligibility and disregard to an existing finding of ineligibility is a shameful neglect of responsibility towards an athlete under intense scrutiny.

If I’m right (I am) and Khelif is male, the IOC has failed to act on knowledge they have, and have disregarded the safety of female athletes and the integrity of competition.

So unless you have something else to add, we both agree that the athletes should be screened for sex, you think I’m a willy about it, I think you’re a willy about it.
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

Fair summary, except no one has even said what test was carried out and you have to take the word of the IBA on the result of those unspecified tests.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Attempts to climb out of rabbit hole… yes… Mick’s sneering has assured me that I’ve lost the way… I HAVE become right wing by being credulous and prejudiced…. I’m… I think I’m OK though! *blinks as I walk into the sunlight* oh! The progressive Left, how could I ever have doubted you! I lost my way but I’m back! And now I’ll read a SANE take on this issue, and hopefully find my way back to polite society. Now to go to an honest Left wing source

FFS
Attachments
IMG_7766.jpeg
IMG_7766.jpeg (157.99 KiB) Viewed 478 times
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

What medical training have you had MM to discredit the lab tests?
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Interested to see his PHD on the collusion between Russian politicians and the Court for Arbitration in sport