ex player slagging off ling

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

eppingo
Fresh Alias

ex player slagging off ling

Post by eppingo »

In ross s interview yesterday he said an ex player was slagging off sam ling, any idea who that is, why is there so much protection over him.
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Re: ex player slagging off ling

Post by O my gawd »

Kevin Dickenson on The O's Show. Basically said he can't defend to save his life & didn't offer anything going forward.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

O my gawd wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:35 am Kevin Dickenson on The O's Show. Basically said he can't defend to save his life & didn't offer anything going forward.
Is he wrong?
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

This should feed some of the Ling bashers a nice big wum breakfast
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

A bit harsh, but it is true he offers little going forward (the same is true for Widdowson).

Also true that he was at fault for a few goals last year and partially the formation changed to reduce his exposure. I don't see why the club big him up using injuries as an excuse, unnecessarily risky when we could have got a loan in to cover.

I also disagree with Ross that he has been 'outstanding'. Nobody has been outstanding this season, we have lost three out of six games after all. Good is perhaps a more accurate word, so describing it like this only reinforces belief that the club over-do praise when it comes to him, perhaps as a counter to the over-reactions when it comes to criticism.

Last player to be hounded as much from the crowd was Jake Caprice, club didn't defend him at all despite it not being all his fault, and towards the end of the season he was Boco'd to make way for Ling. Ironically Caprice would have probably worked really well for us as it turned out.

Just want fair treatment for players. Judd was out of contract last season, the jury was out due to a poor injury hit season before, he didn't get a new deal until February when he had played well across a long stretch of 20 League games. It should be the same for Ling.

IMO we could improve on both. In the old League Two days we had Matty Joseph at right-back, no reason why we couldn't sign a 2020 equivalent.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

O my gawd wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:35 am Kevin Dickenson on The O's Show. Basically said he can't defend to save his life & didn't offer anything going forward.
I was surprised when he made those comments. Not very professional. No doubts about his views on Ling and to a degree one shared by many, but an Orient radio show followed by fans is not the place.

Poor form and I sincerely hope the show made their thoughts known too afterwards, in private of course.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

dOh Nut wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:25 am
I was surprised when he made those comments. Not very professional. No doubts about his views on Ling and to a degree one shared by many, but an Orient radio show followed by fans is not the place.

Poor form and I sincerely hope the show made their thoughts known too afterwards, in private of course.
Agree, thoughts he should have not viewed on the Orient radio show.
Rather humiliating for Sam and also his father to hear that sort of thing.
MassiveForehead
Fresh Alias

Post by MassiveForehead »

Sid Bishop wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:33 am

A show for opinions where one can only be blinkered and talk about how wonderful everything is? :roll:

I don't necessarily agree with the comments but I think he has the right to say them if asked.
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:50 am
Is he wrong?
I'd say yes & very unfair considering how well he has started the season.
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

MassiveForehead wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:34 am

A show for opinions where one can only be blinkered and talk about how wonderful everything is? :roll:

I don't necessarily agree with the comments but I think he has the right to say them if asked.
He's probably got the hump as him & Andy Gilson got the boot from the commentating gig
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

eagwgw wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:04 am A bit harsh, but it is true he offers little going forward (the same is true for Widdowson).

Also true that he was at fault for a few goals last year and partially the formation changed to reduce his exposure. I don't see why the club big him up using injuries as an excuse, unnecessarily risky when we could have got a loan in to cover.

I also disagree with Ross that he has been 'outstanding'. Nobody has been outstanding this season, we have lost three out of six games after all. Good is perhaps a more accurate word, so describing it like this only reinforces belief that the club over-do praise when it comes to him, perhaps as a counter to the over-reactions when it comes to criticism.

Last player to be hounded as much from the crowd was Jake Caprice, club didn't defend him at all despite it not being all his fault, and towards the end of the season he was Boco'd to make way for Ling. Ironically Caprice would have probably worked really well for us as it turned out.

Just want fair treatment for players. Judd was out of contract last season, the jury was out due to a poor injury hit season before, he didn't get a new deal until February when he had played well across a long stretch of 20 League games. It should be the same for Ling.

IMO we could improve on both. In the old League Two days we had Matty Joseph at right-back, no reason why we couldn't sign a 2020 equivalent.
I always liked Mark Warren, shame he never realised his potential
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Sam is A young player and of course constructive criticism is always welcome and can be helpful helpful, but this is not the way to do it.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Thought Ling had a good game yesterday until the injury, looked more confident having Dennis around giving him options to pass to.

Judd didn't seem to pick up the pace of the game when he came on in comparison.

Personally think this podcast / radio show thing has gone too far and the club need to bring the content back in house. Too many "official" interviews with club staff, owners etc. are going through these random channels and it either becomes sycophantic or, in this case really unfair on an individual player.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Lucky7 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:58 am This should feed some of the Ling bashers a nice big wum breakfast
Not at all, but confirms we are right.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Sid Bishop wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:50 am

Sam is A young player and of course constructive criticism is always welcome and can be helpful helpful, but this is not the way to do it.
It definitely is not the way to do it. Nobody is trying to stifle free speech and opinions but his comments and the way they were delivered were classless and crass. The guy should be ashamed.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Did you hear them?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Having podcasts and radio shows where no one commits to an opinion, especially one that doesn’t toe the club line, will be very dull.

Haven’t heard the actual comment so can’t comment on delivery but I don’t disagree.

Didn’t exactly cover himself in glory for the first goal yday either.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

This is ridiculous.

You cant offer a negative opinion nowadays? Shows what a waste of time all these podcast/radio things are now the boundaries around their independence have been blurred.

For what it s wroth I thought Sam was ok yesterday up until the injury. Howeve, having seen the first goal back you realise he just ain’t a natural defender. Massively at fault for that goal, he’s dropping off into a safe position and doing absolutely nothing when he should be pressing.

Judd was much better when h came on however, especially when going forward, and obviously has to retain his spot.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Disoriented wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:38 pm
Lucky7 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:58 am This should feed some of the Ling bashers a nice big wum breakfast
Confirms your right?
Disillusioned again I see
I can’t remember Dickenson being all that good in fairness
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Lucky7 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:23 pm
Disoriented wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:38 pm
Confirms your right?
Disillusioned again I see
I can’t remember Dickenson being all that good in fairness
I will take his view over yours any day of the week fella.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Course you would it’s slagging off one of your favourite subjects
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:57 pm This is ridiculous.

You cant offer a negative opinion nowadays? Shows what a waste of time all these podcast/radio things are now the boundaries around their independence have been blurred.

For what it s wroth I thought Sam was ok yesterday up until the injury. Howeve, having seen the first goal back you realise he just ain’t a natural defender. Massively at fault for that goal, he’s dropping off into a safe position and doing absolutely nothing when he should be pressing.

Judd was much better when h came on however, especially when going forward, and obviously has to retain his spot.
Dropping off into a safe position and not pressing is how he plays. That’s what annoys me about his game, very passive. Little or no oomph. Easy option. So he makes mistakes, big deal, all players do. That’s not the issue. People prefer Judd, who also cocks up, because he gives everything for the cause.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

And he’s the better player.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Lucky7 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:29 pm Course you would it’s slagging off one of your favourite subjects
Tedious.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Disoriented wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:56 pm
Lucky7 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:29 pm Course you would it’s slagging off one of your favourite subjects
Tedious.
You are yes I’m happy you’ve found your level