Signing senior players

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Signing senior players

Post by Long slender neck »

Are we struggling to do this or is it transfer policy to sign younger ones who can be developed and sold?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Re: Signing senior players

Post by Proposition Joe »

What's a senior player? Someone like Agyei or Sanders?
Fellowo
Fresh Alias

Post by Fellowo »

My hunch is that they've now realised that the squad is abit too thin, so looking to make it abit bigger by signing young players to stretch the budget as far as possible.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

If we sign the 5 players we need (gk, 2 full backs, attacking midfielder, striker) then we'll have at least 2 good options for each position. We have a solid core of experienced players, as long as we add 1 or 2 more players with a good number of games under their belt, then the profile of the squad looks good. But budget may not stretch to having 4 strikers competing for likely one position.

Becoming a club that sells on players for a profit is generally a good thing. Means we're nailing recruitment and making the club more financially sustainable.
Last edited by Mistadobalina on Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:43 am Are we struggling to do this or is it transfer policy to sign younger one who can be developed and sold?
Good question, it’s strange when RW talks about not having enough experience in the team/squad and yet there signing younger players for resale value. If you look a Peterborough last season they had a very young side,did well but fell at the last hurdle. Was that due to inexperience?. However they sign players on a 3 year contract and negotiate better sell on’s. There’s a lesson to be learned there. But does experience matter 🤷‍♀️ imo you have to have a balance.
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

I think “senior” isn’t just linked to age in this context. It’s how many league games they’ve actually played. A 21 year old who has been playing league 1/2 football for a couple of years and racked up 50-100 appearances is “senior” in comparison to a 23 year old released by a Premier League club who has barely played in any professional games.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

I'd define it as over 23, with at least 75 league appearances.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:01 pm If we sign the 5 players we need (gk, 2 full backs, attacking midfielder, striker) then we'll have at least 2 good options for each position. We have a solid core of experienced players, as long as we add 1 or 2 more players with a good number of games under their belt, then the profile of the squad looks good. But budget may not stretch to having 4 strikers competing for likely one position.

Becoming a club that sells on players for a profit is generally a good thing. Means we're nailing recruitment and making the club more financially sustainable.
GK - New, Howells
RB - James, New
LB - Sweeney, New
CB1 - Beckles, Cooper
CB2 - Simpson, Happe
6 - Brown, New
8 - Pratley, Obeiro
10 - Galbraith, Moncur
LW - O'Neill, DJ
RW - Graham, Perkins
CF - Agyei, Kelman

Theo to be added to that when he returns, and obviously a fair amount of interchangability amongst mainly the forward positions but yep, two reasonable options for most positions, with some genuine competition in a few areas.

I'd agree, overall we do have enough experience within the squad, the weak area likely to be our starting midfield if Pratley isn't featuring.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Id be surprised if Galbraith is used as a 10 and if Moncur is here at beginning of season (wishful thinking maybe). Maybe Galbraith has more of a goal threat on him than I give credit for as he's chipped in with a few, but Wellens has spoken repeatedly about wanting an attacking midfielder who scores goals. As I see it, this Everton kid is the Miz replacement, so Sanders leaving gives us an extra spot in the attacking midfielder position.

Moncur really has become an albatross around our neck. Guy is basically unusable, something clearly wrong with him either mentally or physically , but picks up a massive wage.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:38 pm Id be surprised if Galbraith is used as a 10 and if Moncur is here at beginning of season (wishful thinking maybe). Maybe Galbraith has more of a goal threat on him than I give credit for as he's chipped in with a few, but Wellens has spoken repeatedly about wanting an attacking midfielder who scores goals. As I see it, this Everton kid is the Miz replacement, so Sanders leaving gives us an extra spot in the attacking midfielder position.

Moncur really has become an albatross around our neck. Guy is basically unusable, something clearly wrong with him either mentally or physically , but picks up a massive wage.
I still believe catching a bad dose of Covid has badly affected Moncur He hasn’t looked like the same player since . It’s very disappointing because George has talent to burn but he appears to have lost most of his stamina .
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:38 pm Id be surprised if Galbraith is used as a 10 and if Moncur is here at beginning of season (wishful thinking maybe). Maybe Galbraith has more of a goal threat on him than I give credit for as he's chipped in with a few, but Wellens has spoken repeatedly about wanting an attacking midfielder who scores goals. As I see it, this Everton kid is the Miz replacement, so Sanders leaving gives us an extra spot in the attacking midfielder position.

Yet everyone is still banging on about how we should issue 3 year contracts as standard... The warning signs were there when he dropped from the Championship to L2. I'd love you to be right but I reckon he's here for the duration.

Galbraith has goals in him alright. The only reason not to play him that far forward is that he's that good and needs to be dictating the whole game, not just in the final third.
Ron Waffle
Fresh Alias

Post by Ron Waffle »

We are having a look at Sam Hutchinson from Reading apparently. Don't get much more senior than that !
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

Ron Waffle wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:35 pm We are having a look at Sam Hutchinson from Reading apparently. Don't get much more senior than that !
Hope that’s not a replacement for Brownie 🤷🏻‍♂️
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Stan1972 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:40 pm
Ron Waffle wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:35 pm We are having a look at Sam Hutchinson from Reading apparently. Don't get much more senior than that !
Hope that’s not a replacement for Brownie 🤷🏻‍♂️
No , i doubt it. Edit, It just crossed my mind , I wonder if he could be a replacement for Moncur . I wonder if Goegre is leaving .
ELGUS
Fresh Alias

Post by ELGUS »

Hope Moncur goes as the player that was expected he isn't no where near that at the moment and I cant see him getting anywhere near this team.

We need a keeper and I cant believe its been well over a year since we lost Vigs to Burnley and no keeper has been earmarked as a perm signing, personally I don't want to go down the route of another loan keeper who isn't under contract with us.

Sam Hutchinson I hope we don't sign as we have a old head in Pratley and don't need another in that area.
faith1234
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by faith1234 »

What we do need is q keeper and it looks like the o e on trail from Fulham could be the o e
faith1234
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by faith1234 »

:lofc: One
Old Bloke
Fresh Alias

Post by Old Bloke »

This pre season we have looked at a few older players like Hutchinson who have played at a reasonable level but have issues.
I think we are looking at them as they are potentially very good players and will be good squad player and due to their issues will not demand high wages. It all depends if Wellens thinks he can get them over their issues and turn them into useful players well and good.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Club policy ( according to Travis) will be to look at younger players we can develop and sell on - If we do that I think we need 2 year contracts with a third year option in the clubs favour, get two good years out of them and sell them in year three. That's on the proviso that the money is re-invested.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

faith1234 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:33 pm:lofc: One
I hope not .
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »