OFFICIAL EUROS FINAL - Spain (A)

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Re: OFFICIAL EUROS FINAL - Spain (A)

Post by Hoover Attack »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:42 am Southgate had Gallagher and Trippier warming up to take us into extra time. We needed Eze.
Who for?
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

one o in huntingdon wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:49 am
Give it to Jabo wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:42 am Southgate had Gallagher and Trippier warming up to take us into extra time. We needed Eze.
Southgate saw the equaliser as opening the door to get extra time and penalties.
A more astute manager would have seen it as the catalyst to go for a winner in normal time.
He will always stick rather than twist, could be why he remains trophy less.
Brilliant comment that says it all especially.......''He will always stick rather than twist, could be why he remains trophy less.
No guts, no glory !
And who said that playing 2 fast attacking wingers was an outdated tactic of the past.....Tell that to the Spanish manager !
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Southgate saw the equaliser as opening the door to get extra time and penalties.
A more astute manager would have seen it as the catalyst to go for a winner in normal time.
It’s funny I’ve been saying it for years about Southgate inability with tactics and he hasn’t got what it takes to win a comp and never will have, however all the happy clappers on here can’t wait to have a go at me(do I care) but again I’ve been proven right just as I was about jacket. I’m also right about our recruitment this season and we will be at the bottom end of the table. Some people just like to look on the bright side which I suppose is a good thing personally I give praise when it’s due not until then.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Monkey Boy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:18 am I don’t like Southgate as a manager but yesterday wasn’t really his fault, the only this he did wrong was starting with Kane. Certain players let him down. Foden the wonder boy has turned into Jack Wiltshire, stretching and pushing the ball to far in front of him, Kane has reached his sell by date,Watkins when he came on didn’t appear to be closing the defenders down and Bellingham wants to take on the whole team by himself plus Saka plays one good game one bad.The turning point was when Rodri was taken off. They were like us playing with ten men,it gave them more options in midfield and we didn’t combat that. But all is not lost. We have discovered two new young CB’s and a terrific young holding midfielder. Credit where credit is due Spain were the better team on the night.
I have rarely if ever seen Foden do the business for England. Palmer does perform in an England shirt and would have been a better option in the starting line up.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

You know he didn’t make those subs ? He left Foden in centre mid after scored so we had one holding midfielder on the pitch . After our equaliser we had a couple of chances and we’re pushing Spain. They then scored after cutting through on non existent midfield - so you got your wish. We went for it and it meant we lost.

Maybe don’t apply if Gareth steps down
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

There's obviously something wrong with the mentality of the team. They shouldn't be suddenly dropping deep the moment they have the initiative and Spain look a bit rattled. Honestly no idea whether that's a Southgate issue or a player issue, but we gave up the momentum we'd generated.

The positive for the next manager is that fashioning a really good midfield out of Mainoo, Rice and Bellingham should be possible. They're all young and have complimentary talents. Mainoo is coming off the back of his first full season as a pro and is exactly the type of player we've been missing. Plus Wharton will develop further. Future looks promising, Walker, Trippier and maybe Kane aside, it's a young squad should only improve.
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Post by one o in huntingdon »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:29 pm
You know he didn’t make those subs ? He left Foden in centre mid after scored so we had one holding midfielder on the pitch . After our equaliser we had a couple of chances and we’re pushing Spain. They then scored after cutting through on non existent midfield - so you got your wish. We went for it and it meant we lost.

Perhaps you should apply then we can have BAU and the same gutless approach you seem to enjoy watching.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Current odds for the next England manager if Southgate steps down before December:

Graham Potter: Evens
Mauricio Pochettino: 5/2
Eddie Howe: 7/2
Pep Guardiola: 15/2
Lee Carsley: 9/1
Jurgen Klopp: 14/1
Steven Gerrard, Thomas Tuchel, Ange Postecoglou: 20/1
Jose Mourinho, Steve Cooper, Steve Holland, Sarina Wiegman: 25/1
Frank Lampard, Brendan Rodgers, Wayne Rooney, Michael Carrick, Will Still: 33/1
Rich Tea Wellens: 1000/1
Jeremy Bentham
Fresh Alias

Post by Jeremy Bentham »

Gareth is a good guy but his decision making just isn't up to it. Went into the tournament experimenting with a right back in midfield. Bonkers.

With the players available, he should have played 3-5-2 so we could be solid defensively and control the midfield. Our players are more than capable of keeping the ball if they are played in the right system. England have a weakness at left back which is another reason why playing 3 at the back makes sense moving forward. Out best performance was in the first half against the Dutch when Foden and Mainoo were able to really express themselves in the system but our coach decided going back to a back 4, which had seen us play abysmally earlier in the tournament, was the way to go.

Conversely, the Spanish coach and players knew exactly what they were doing from day one and consistently performed and entertained throughout the tournament. I saw them rip apart Northern Ireland and, knowing the quality fo their players, I had a few quid on them at 15/2. I'd much rather have lost my money but I knew it wouldn't happen because we're at the same level Gareth took us to in 2018 and we're essentially still there despite having a much better squad than then.

Finally, the Spanish coach would never have played a clearly ailing Harry Kane and neither would any other coach but that's been the main issue with England coaches, playing big names rather than doing what is best for the team.
Last edited by Jeremy Bentham on Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Dunners wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:47 pm Current odds for the next England manager if Southgate steps down before December:

Graham Potter: Evens
Mauricio Pochettino: 5/2
Eddie Howe: 7/2
Pep Guardiola: 15/2
Lee Carsley: 9/1
Jurgen Klopp: 14/1
Steven Gerrard, Thomas Tuchel, Ange Postecoglou: 20/1
Jose Mourinho, Steve Cooper, Steve Holland, Sarina Wiegman: 25/1
Frank Lampard, Brendan Rodgers, Wayne Rooney, Michael Carrick, Will Still: 33/1
Rich Tea Wellens: 1000/1
I don’t think he will go however if he does I don’t think he will get a job at a top 6/8 club. My money would be on Lee Carsey, a nother yes nodding dog man to the FA. Southgate would get a job at the FA probably doing FA.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Jeremy Bentham wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:55 pm Gareth is a good guy but his decision making just isn't up to it. Went into the tournament experimenting with a right back in midfield. Bonkers.

With the players available, he should have played 3-5-2 so we could be solid defensively and control the midfield. Our players are more than capable of keeping the ball if they are played in the right system. England have a weakness at left back which is another reason why playing 3 at the back makes sense moving forward. Out best performance was in the first half against the Dutch when Foden and Mainoo were able to really express themselves in the system but our coach decided going back to a back 4, which had seen us play abysmally earlier in the tournament, was the way to go.

Conversely, the Spanish coach and players knew exactly what they were doing from day one and consistently performed and entertained throughout the tournament. I saw them rip apart Northern Ireland and, knowing the quality fo their players, I have a few quid on them at 15/2. I'd much rather have lost my money but I knew it wouldn't happen because we're at the same level Gareth took us to in 2018 essentially and we're essentially still there despite having a much better squad than then.

Finally, the Spanish coach would never have played a clearly ailing Harry Kane and neither would any other coach but that's been the main issue with England coaches, playing big names rather than doing what is best for the team.
Bloody hallelujah👍👍👍👍👍
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

We went for it until we got the equaliser then sat back.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:58 pm

Odd. its like i watched a different game. We sat back all first half and barely had a shot and second half they were all over us. Directly after the equaliser, which came from nothing, we were at our most attacking.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

For about two minutes. Then we let them settle and play keep ball.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Jeremy Bentham wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:55 pm Gareth is a good guy but his decision making just isn't up to it. Went into the tournament experimenting with a right back in midfield. Bonkers.

Conversely, the Spanish coach and players knew exactly what they were doing from day one and consistently performed and entertained throughout the tournament. I saw them rip apart Northern Ireland and, knowing the quality fo their players, I had a few quid on them at 15/2. I'd much rather have lost my money but I knew it wouldn't happen because we're at the same level Gareth took us to in 2018 and we're essentially still there despite having a much better squad than then.

''Finally, the Spanish coach would never have played a clearly ailing Harry Kane and neither would any other coach but that's been the main issue with England coaches, playing big names rather than doing what is best for the team''
You certainly know your football.
Strange that you and many others have a clearer picture of what its all about but the man in charge was wearing blinkers !
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Post by one o in huntingdon »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:59 pm

Odd. its like i watched a different game. We sat back all first half and barely had a shot and second half they were all over us. Directly after the equaliser, which came from nothing, we were at our most attacking.
It must have been the Rose tinted glasses you were wearing
Jeremy Bentham
Fresh Alias

Post by Jeremy Bentham »

Sid Bishop wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:11 pm

''Finally, the Spanish coach would never have played a clearly ailing Harry Kane and neither would any other coach but that's been the main issue with England coaches, playing big names rather than doing what is best for the team''
Strange that you and many others have a clearer picture of what its all about but the man in charge was wearing blinkers !
Quite a few pundits and former internationals, including Shearer and Lineker, were pointing out their misgivings about Kane but it always ended up with accepting "you can't start without your record goalscorer". Just a weird mentality when you can see with your own eyes that it was not that version of Kane that was taking to the field in this tournament, just so obvious to everyone.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Jeremy Bentham wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:30 pm

Quite a few pundits and former internationals, including Shearer and Lineker, were pointing out their misgivings about Kane but it always ended up with accepting "you can't start without your record goalscorer". Just a weird mentality when you can see with your own eyes that it was not that version of Kane that was taking to the field in this tournament, just so obvious to everyone.
He sort of couldn't win though and that's the issue here. If he dropped Kane and we lost people would be saying he was f*cking mental dropping one of Englands leading scorers, captain and most experienced forward. Special players (like Kane has been) tend to rise to the big occasion, which obviously didnt happen but I think it sends a certain message to the rest of the team if one of your best players is dropped for the final...
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

one o in huntingdon wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:27 pm
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:59 pm

It must have been the Rose tinted glasses you were wearing
Yes there’s a few on here that wear them, however we don’t all have to agree, its how you say it and unfortunately there are a few on here that just like to be downright nasty. Nice to see both sides of a discussion without the abuse.
Jeremy Bentham
Fresh Alias

Post by Jeremy Bentham »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:34 pm
He sort of couldn't win though and that's the issue here. If he dropped Kane and we lost people would be saying he was f*cking mental dropping one of Englands leading scorers, captain and most experienced forward. Special players (like Kane has been) tend to rise to the big occasion, which obviously didnt happen but I think it sends a certain message to the rest of the team if one of your best players is dropped for the final...
The point is, it was obvious that he couldn't rise to the occasion in any game, he never did and a coach with anything about him would have recognised that early on and made the right decision for the team and not give a f*ck what people thought.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

“Kane has been” precisely. You have hit the nail on the head,his performances throughout this comp have been woeful to say the least. A good coach would have realised that after the knockout stage or before. Kane has been an excellent player though out his career now his time is at an end Just has Lineker, Jeff Hurst,and Rooneys has.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Jeremy Bentham wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:41 pm

The point is, it was obvious that he couldn't rise to the occasion in any game, he never did and a coach with anything about him would have recognised that early on and made the right decision for the team and not give a f*ck what people thought.
Missed my point completely there.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Monkey Boy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:41 pm

“Kane has been” precisely. You have hit the nail on the head,his performances throughout this comp have been woeful to say the least. A good coach would have realised that after the knockout stage or before. Kane has been an excellent player though out his career now his time is at an end Just has Lineker, Jeff Hurst,and Rooneys has.
The geezer scored about 40 goals this season. If we lose last night with Watkins starting (which would have still probably happened) we all know what the media and same posters would be saying about dropping Kane for a final
Jeremy Bentham
Fresh Alias

Post by Jeremy Bentham »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:45 pm
Jeremy Bentham wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:41 pm

Missed my point completely there.
What was your point then? Do you think the rest of the team thought that version of Kane was one of our best players? Surely the message would be, it doesn't matter who you are, if you're not performing, you don't get in the team.
Jeremy Bentham
Fresh Alias

Post by Jeremy Bentham »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:46 pm
Monkey Boy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:41 pm

The geezer scored about 40 goals this season. If we lose last night with Watkins starting (which would have still probably happened) we all know what the media and same posters would be saying about dropping Kane for a final
It doen't matter if Kane had scored a 100 goals this season, he was injured at the end of it and was unable to perform and any coach who cares what the media says clearly lacks confidence in their own judgement.