Election Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Re: Election Watch

Post by EastDerehamO »

My take on the election, the good and the bad. Above all I am a democrat, we can argue about the system of voting we have but at least we live in a democracy, and many people across the world are highly envious of that.

The Good:
• The smooth (and cordial) transition of power, democracy in action.
• The fact we the electorate can get rid of a government we don’t like, even cabinet ministers and an ex Prime Minister in a seemingly safe seat (Liz Truss in my neighbouring constituency) are not above answering to the people.
• Love them or hate their views, Corbyn and Farage were legitimately elected, and it is always a healthy situation with disparate voices in parliament.

The Bad
• Jess Phillips was subject to loud jeering and people trying to drown her acceptance speech. She told of intimidation of some of her helpers going about their business canvassing for her.
• Nigel Farage at the post election Reform UK news conference, about half a dozen people just shouted at him to try to stop him speaking, one by one they were removed and rightly so. He had previously been the subject of objects thrown at him during the campaign, and I think back to what happened to Jo Cox and David Amess.
• I’ve recently heard Rishi Sunak on the steps of Downing Street trying to talk to the nation while people with megaphones just beyond the gates of Downing Street are trying to drown him out.
None of that is good. There is an increasing tendency for some people to want to shout down and intimidate those of differing views, who are merely playing their part in the democratic process. Everyone has a right to be heard, assuming they are not inciting violence etc or in breach of the law, so let people hear their views and debate and judge, any attempt to try to stop debate is an attack on our democracy.
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:16 pm
Celtient wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:52 pm I see that there were paid actors heckling Farridge today. Out of work actors are in for a boom time shadowing Farridge for the next 5 years I would imagine.
You must be listening to those two intolerant, childish plonkers on LBC...Matthew Wright and James O'brien.
I only listen to Radio 2 and know nothing of the people to whom you refer
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

EastDerehamO wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:00 pm My take on the election, the good and the bad. Above all I am a democrat, we can argue about the system of voting we have but at least we live in a democracy, and many people across the world are highly envious of that.

The Good:
• The fact we the electorate can get rid of a government we don’t like, even cabinet ministers and an ex Prime Minister in a seemingly safe seat (Liz Truss in my neighbouring constituency) are not above answering to the people.
• Love them or hate their views, Corbyn and Farage were legitimately elected, and it is always a healthy situation with disparate voices in parliament.

The Bad
• Jess Phillips was subject to loud jeering and people trying to drown her acceptance speech. She told of intimidation of some of her helpers going about their business canvassing for her.
• Nigel Farage at the post election Reform UK news conference, about half a dozen people just shouted at him to try to stop him speaking, one by one they were removed and rightly so. He had previously been the subject of objects thrown at him during the campaign, and I think back to what happened to Jo Cox and David Amess.
• I’ve recently heard Rishi Sunak on the steps of Downing Street trying to talk to the nation while people with megaphones just beyond the gates of Downing Street are trying to drown him out.
None of that is good. There is an increasing tendency for some people to want to shout down and intimidate those of differing views, who are merely playing their part in the democratic process. Everyone has a right to be heard, assuming they are not inciting violence etc or in breach of the law, so let people hear their views and debate and judge, any attempt to try to stop debate is an attack on our democracy.
Actually been nice to have politicians on either side be cordial on a personal level. No one like trump saying they were robbed either
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Comparing the brutal murders of 2 MPs with Furrage getting McFlurrried is laughable.
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Dunners wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:49 am Liz Truss is gone!
Anyone know how Liz Truss's first day at Microsoft is going?
FrankOFile
Fresh Alias

Post by FrankOFile »

EastDerehamO wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:00 pm My take on the election, the good and the bad. Above all I am a democrat, we can argue about the system of voting we have but at least we live in a democracy, and many people across the world are highly envious of that.

The Good:

The Bad
You seem to have a problem with the concept of ‘free speech’.
What part of democracy do you not understand?
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:08 pm They took the cowards way out.
At least he didn’t set up a thread to abuse moderators this time. Quite an understated flounce for someone who was usually so animated.
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

Rather non specific randomness from the Rev
Peculiar behaviour