Election Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Election Watch

Post by EliotNes »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:46 am Considering the negligible growth in Labour votes and the reform success do we just see the tories now lurch even further right and sweep the next election?

Wonder if Farage is considering crossing the floor to the tories so he can contest the leadership 😂
You never know. Strange things happen in politics.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Beradogs wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:29 am GBPUSD unchanged this morning and unchanged in the run up to the election. Currency market has it right, unchanged will just about sum up this labour goverment over the previous conservative one. That is until they start going rogue. I give it 12 months.
I think this is a fair prediction.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:45 am
Dunners wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:33 am Shame that IDS carries on.
All so avoidable.

The fact Starmer would rather have IDS in Parliament than a troublesome pro-Palestinian leftie is worrying.
She made the choice to run as an independant.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:57 am
BiggsyMalone wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:46 am Congratulations to Shama Tatlrer, Tory enabler careerist. Another 4 years of Iain Duncan Smith.
Fixed that for you.
Wrong.

Bilal Mahmood was prevented from running for a 3rd time in 2019 after cutting IDS’ majority by 10,000 or so in 2015 and 2017 and Labour went with an all female shortlist, which Faiza won because she aligned politically with Corbyn. She was quite happy to be parachuted in and not let Bilal carry on his great work in the area.

She f*cked off to New York between 2019 and when she came back here to have a kid a year ago. She wrote a book about what’s wrong with the country politically, just in time for the election that was due this year.

She doesn’t give a f*** about her community, she only cares about her career.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

When does Kier kiss Charlie's ring?
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:21 am She was quite happy to be parachuted in
From Wiki:

Early life and education
Shaheen was born in Whipps Cross University Hospital, Leytonstone, in East London[4] and grew up in Chingford, also in East London.[5] Her father was a car mechanic from Fiji and her mother was a laboratory technician from Karachi, Pakistan, where they met.[6][7][8][9] She has a brother and a sister.[8]

She attended Chingford Church of England Primary School,[10] Chingford Foundation School and Sir George Monoux College in Walthamstow.[11] Her first job at the age of 16 was at Greggs the bakers in Chingford Mount.

Personal life
Shaheen married actor Akin Gazi in 2013.[53][54] They have one child, a son named Zayan, born in 2024.[55][56][57] They live in Woodford Green, Woodford, East London.
Ski Sunday
Fresh Alias

Post by Ski Sunday »

There's an elephant in the room!
The vast majority of voters simply didn't want Rishi Sunak to be their PM
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

The system is unstable. For Labour to win by such a landslide on a minority share of total votes means that an opposite swing is just as likely at the next election.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:15 am
Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:45 am
Dunners wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:33 am Shame that IDS carries on.
All so avoidable.

The fact Starmer would rather have IDS in Parliament than a troublesome pro-Palestinian leftie is worrying.
She made the choice to run as an independant.
And why was that?
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

Dunners wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:31 am The system is unstable. For Labour to win by such a landslide on a minority share of total votes means that an opposite swing is just as likely at the next election.
Not without a Brexit argument
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

The Mindsweep wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:23 am When does Kier kiss Charlie's ring?
I think Chas has opted for a kiss on both cheeks instead in the interest of hygiene
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

EliotNes wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:07 am
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:46 am Considering the negligible growth in Labour votes and the reform success do we just see the tories now lurch even further right and sweep the next election?

Wonder if Farage is considering crossing the floor to the tories so he can contest the leadership 😂
Apparently the bookies have him as 4th or 5th favourite to take over the Tories . It would be interesting to see considering Reform came second in 98 constituencies . Anyway the other points for me from last night was Reform getting four MP's . I don't think people realise just how hard it is for a relatively new party to break into parliament . Just ask George Galloways Workers Party . With four MP's and a strong showing nationally Nigel will make sure there is no back sliding by Starmer on his statement regarding not rejoining the EU. Penny Mordaunt was the only Tory I was sorry to see lose her seat . I thought she was a formidable MP but she was surrounded by idiots on the front bench and she paid the price . The Tories made a mistake not making her leader when Boris left . I think things would have turned out differently . Last but by no means least , the thumping the SNP took last night . That's put independence to bed , thank you and good night . William Wallace must be spinning in his grave . ;) :D. For all our sakes I hope I hope Starmer turns out to be a good Prime Minster . I wonder what the next four years are going to bring . We'll have to wait and see .

Oh , just one last thought . When the Tories won the last election there was thousands of left wingers rioting in Whitehall just after the result . Now the boot is on the other foot where is the right wingers . Nothing but crickets and tumble weeds . Shows which side is the most tolerant of other peoples views
Last edited by RedDwarf 1881 on Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

A Westminster election has no bearing on Scottish independence. Many SNP supporters will have lent their vote to Labour just to oust the Tories. There is little point in SNP MP's actually being at Westminster in reality as they are outnumbered and ignored. The Scottish elections are what really matters in terms of pushing for independence and I suspect that Labour will not see the same level of success there
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:49 am

Apparently the bookies have him as 4th or 5th favourite to take over the Tories . It would be interesting to see considering Reform came second in 98 constituencies . Anyway the other points for me from last night was Reform getting four MP's . I don't think people realise just how hard it is for a relatively new party to break into parliament . Just ask George Galloways Workers Party . With four MP's and a strong showing nationally Nigel will make sure there is no back sliding by Starmer on his statement regarding not rejoining the EU. Penny Mordaunt was the only Tory I was sorry to see lose her seat . I thought she was a formidable MP but she was surrounded by idiots on the front bench and she paid the price . The Tories made a mistake not making her leader after Boris left . I think things would have turned out differently . Last but by no means least , the thumping the SNP took last night . That's put independence to bed , thank you and good night . William Wallace must be spinning in his grave . ;) :D. For all our sakes I hope I hope Starmer turns out to be a good Prime Minster . I wonder what the next four years are going to bring . We'll have to wait and see .

Oh , just one last thought . When the Tories won the last election there was thousands of left wingers rioting in Whitehall just after the result was known . Now the boot is on the other foot where is the right wingers . Nothing but crickets and tumble weeds . Shows which side is the most tolerant of other peoples views
98 2nds & 4 M.Ps, that's a worse strike rate than Pigott
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Celtient wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:59 am A Westminster election has no bearing on Scottish independence. Many SNP supporters will have lent their vote to Labour just to oust the Tories. There is little point in SNP MP's actually being at Westminster in reality as they are outnumbered and ignored. The Scottish elections are what really matters in terms of pushing for independence and I suspect that Labour will not see the same level of success there
I can feel your pain even from here . Look mate , the sale of blue and white face paint is now over . Look on the bright side all those SNP' MP's can now get a seat in that camper van :D
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Brigs wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:01 am

Apparently the bookies have him as 4th or 5th favourite to take over the Tories . It would be interesting to see considering Reform came second in 98 constituencies . Anyway the other points for me from last night was Reform getting four MP's . I don't think people realise just how hard it is for a relatively new party to break into parliament . Just ask George Galloways Workers Party . With four MP's and a strong showing nationally Nigel will make sure there is no back sliding by Starmer on his statement regarding not rejoining the EU. Penny Mordaunt was the only Tory I was sorry to see lose her seat . I thought she was a formidable MP but she was surrounded by idiots on the front bench and she paid the price . The Tories made a mistake not making her leader after Boris left . I think things would have turned out differently . Last but by no means least , the thumping the SNP took last night . That's put independence to bed , thank you and good night . William Wallace must be spinning in his grave . ;) :D. For all our sakes I hope I hope Starmer turns out to be a good Prime Minster . I wonder what the next four years are going to bring . We'll have to wait and see .

Oh , just one last thought . When the Tories won the last election there was thousands of left wingers rioting in Whitehall just after the result was known . Now the boot is on the other foot where is the right wingers . Nothing but crickets and tumble weeds . Shows which side is the most tolerant of other peoples views
That's the problem with our electoral system . I can't help feeling it's set up to keep the big two in power .
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Oh , just one last thought . When the Tories won the last election there was thousands of left wingers rioting in Whitehall just after the result . Now the boot is on the other foot where is the right wingers . Nothing but crickets and tumble weeds . Shows which side is the most tolerant of other peoples views
Perfect. We've gone from denying the riots which did actually happen on January 6 to making up ones that didn't happen in 2019.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:12 am

That's the problem with our electoral system . I can't help feeling it's set up to keep the big two in power . Edit . I have just found out that under proportional representation Reform would have won 93 seats .
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

I was actually there in 2019 the day after the election. Would hardly call it a riot. It was a bunch of angry people protesting and a few morons. Not exactly storming the capital building…oh that didn’t happen
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:12 am
Perfect. We've gone from denying the riots which did actually happen on January 6 to making up ones that didn't happen in 2019.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12172 ... ing-street
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:12 am

That's the problem with our electoral system . I can't help feeling it's set up to keep the big two in power .
Of course it isn't, however at the moment there are only 2 that are serious about winning .
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:22 am I was actually there in 2019 the day after the election. Would hardly call it a riot. It was a bunch of angry people protesting and a few morons. Not exactly storming the capital building…oh that didn’t happen
Still more though than turned up last night to cause trouble
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:05 am
Celtient wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:59 am A Westminster election has no bearing on Scottish independence. Many SNP supporters will have lent their vote to Labour just to oust the Tories. There is little point in SNP MP's actually being at Westminster in reality as they are outnumbered and ignored. The Scottish elections are what really matters in terms of pushing for independence and I suspect that Labour will not see the same level of success there
I can feel your pain even from here . Look mate , the sale of blue and white face paint is now over . Look on the bright side all those SNP' MP's can now get a seat in that camper van :D
No pain here mate. Couldn't care less whether the Labour Tories or Tory Tories are in power at Westminster. It's not as if I was expecting SNP to be in power there
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:25 am
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:22 am I was actually there in 2019 the day after the election. Would hardly call it a riot. It was a bunch of angry people protesting and a few morons. Not exactly storming the capital building…oh that didn’t happen
Still more though than turned up last night to cause trouble
Lol if only the Right wing under Trumpet were as invisible on January 6th