Has Ross earned the job

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Has Ross earned the job

Post by Sid Bishop »

DuvB wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:50 am We should not forget that it is a management TEAM and I am sure that Webb and MacAnuff were part of the decision-making process half time at Mansfield
100% true and maybe the senior players as well had an input. The changes in tactics etc were much the same as would happen with any decent manager in charge at any level of football, done it myself at times e.g We are 2-0 down so lets go for it, nothing to lose, only to gain, show some guts, put an extra forward on and put the balls into the box and out onto the wings, have a shot when we get a chance, go on boys lets GO FOR IT !!
As to Ross getting the job full time, well long time to go yet, so let us see what happens, one swallow does NOT make a summer !!
Lastly, a change from the 5 at the back is long overdue, many on this forum have been calling for it for a while, we have become all too predictable and easy to work out tactics wise. Three central defenders with two wing-backs is fine if you have two mobile and fluid attacking fullbacks, we have not got that with Ling and Widdowson so have got rather bogged down of late, creating little chances for the forwards and little to no wing-play.
So let us now move forward and try to use our players to the best of their abilities and play if possible in a more attacking and attractive style of football.
so as Churchill once said after the battle of Alamein "Now this is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." !!
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Sid Bishop wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:34 pm
DuvB wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:50 am We should not forget that it is a management TEAM and I am sure that Webb and MacAnuff were part of the decision-making process half time at Mansfield
100% true and maybe the senior players as well had an input. The changes in tactics etc were much the same as would happen with any decent manager in charge at any level of football, done it myself at times e.g We are 2-0 down so lets go for it, nothing to lose, only to gain, show some guts, Dont sit back, push forward, get an extra forward on and put the balls into the box and out onto the wings, have a shot whenever we get a chance, go on boys lets GO FOR IT !!
As to Ross getting the job full time, well long time to go yet, so let us see what happens, one swallow does NOT make a summer !!
Lastly, a change from the 5 at the back is long overdue, many on this forum have been calling for it for a while, we have become all too static and predictable and easy to work out tactics wise. Three central defenders with two wing-backs is fine if you have two mobile and fluid attacking fullbacks, we have not got that with Ling and Widdowson so have got rather bogged down of late, creating little chances for the forwards and with little to no wing-play.
So let us hope that we can progress, move forward and try to use our players to the best of their abilities, playing if possible in a more attacking, positive and attractive style of football.
For as Churchill said after the battle of Alamein "Now this is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." !!
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

For the umpteenth time, I was not suggesting Ross gets the job based on one result but on the basis that he still needs another couple of decent results added to this. I struggle to understand why this caveat had been missed.

Of course one game isn’t the be all and end all when it comes to a decision but it certainly does signsal to me that he is learning and it’s a great springboard. Should we produce a couple more decent results then perhaps it’s time to ditch the interim title and give him the job.

And with all due respect he produced this turnaround in a league match away from home against a good team whilst under extreme pressure and not in some amateur match over Hackney Marshes.

In my opinion should he deliver a couple more decent results then it’s decision time. Likewise if it all goes pear shaped then the jury remains out.

The reality so far is that we are in a great league position having won two and drawn one of out opening four games in league football. Not a bad start really and one I’m sure most of us would consider satisfactory.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

dOh Nut wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:00 pm For the umpteenth time, I was not suggesting Ross gets the job based on one result but on the basis that he still needs another couple of decent results added to this. I struggle to understand why this caveat had been missed.

Of course one game isn’t the be all and end all when it comes to a decision but it certainly does signsal to me that he is learning and it’s a great springboard. Should we produce a couple more decent results then perhaps it’s time to ditch the interim title and give him the job.

And with all due respect he produced this turnaround in a league match away from home against a good team whilst under extreme pressure and not in some amateur match over Hackney Marshes.

In my opinion should he deliver a couple more decent results then it’s decision time. Likewise if it all goes pear shaped then the jury remains out.

The reality so far is that we are in a great league position having won two and drawn one of out opening four games in league football. Not a bad start really and one I’m sure most of us would consider satisfactory.
You say ''he produced this turnaround in a league match away from home against a good team whilst under extreme pressure and not in some amateur match over Hackney Marshes.'' In actual fact, unless you were in the dressing room at half time, you do not really know who was or were the main movers behind the changes that were made both in tactics and who came on and off.I do not think for one moment that if Jobi and Danny were there, that they would have sat there and said nothing !! As to going on the attack, as I said, little option other than to have this change of tactics, regardless of what level of football was being played, the dire defensive tactics of the last few weeks have been shown not to have worked,so it was a good time to try something different. As the Duke of Wellington said when referring to the French using the same old predictable tactics at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 "They came on in the same old way and we defeated them in the same old way."
Well we had our battle on Tuesday night, the changes that were needed were made, all for the better and a good turnaround and result was gained, good thing too.
Last edited by Sid Bishop on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

dOh Nut wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:00 pm For the umpteenth time, I was not suggesting Ross gets the job based on one result but on the basis that he still needs another couple of decent results added to this. I struggle to understand why this caveat had been missed.

Your no Bobby Robson yourself
Andersonitis
Fresh Alias

Post by Andersonitis »

i'd let him know Dec 1st
Otherwise absolutely not, mustn't rush in with this decision, as long as he's called INTERIM,
There's a carrot dangled on a stick above his nose,
Let him earn the job.
Last edited by Andersonitis on Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

dOh Nut wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:00 pm For the umpteenth time, I was not suggesting Ross gets the job based on one result...
But your subject does suggest it.
Andersonitis
Fresh Alias

Post by Andersonitis »

I hope he can get the boys to beat Salford.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Sid Bishop wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:09 pm

You say ''he produced this turnaround in a league match away from home against a good team whilst under extreme pressure and not in some amateur match over Hackney Marshes.'' In actual fact, unless you were in the dressing room at half time, you do not really know who was or were the main movers behind the changes that were made both in tactics and who came on and off.I do not think for one moment that if Jobi and Danny were there, that they would have sat there and said nothing !! As to going on the attack, as I said, little option other than to have this change of tactics, regardless of what level of football was being played, the dire defensive tactics of the last few weeks have been shown not to have worked,so it was a good time to try something different. As the Duke of Wellington said when referring to the French using the same old predictable tactics at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 "They came on in the same old way and we defeated them in the same old way."
Well we had our battle on Tuesday night, the changes that were needed were made, all for the better and a good turnaround and result was gained, good thing too.
I have little doubt senior players etc had an input, why not? I've never been of the opinion that the Coach/Manager is the sole brain behind what goes on. Any boss worth his salt listens to the opinions of others. But the decisions are his alone.

But when things go wrong, like at Macclesfield, the boss carries the can, I dare say others had input there too. So when it goes right the credit is his. Listening to views then making the decisions which are only his to take. Like who to bring on, take off, when, system. The permutations are varied and he got it spot on.

I wonder how many gave us a chance after 30 minutes or so. And it would have been easy for the side to turn it in and go for damage limitation.

Give the man credit. We are quick to bitch when it goes wrong. So lets be quick with the praise when it goes very right.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

dOh Nut wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:31 pm

I have little doubt senior players etc had an input, why not? I've never been of the opinion that the Coach/Manager is the sole brain behind what goes on. Any boss worth his salt listens to the opinions of others. But the decisions are his alone.

But when things go wrong, like at Macclesfield, the boss carries the can, I dare say others had input there too. So when it goes right the credit is his. Listening to views then making the decisions which are only his to take. Like who to bring on, take off, when, system. The permutations are varied and he got it spot on.

I wonder how many gave us a chance after 30 minutes or so. And it would have been easy for the side to turn it in and go for damage limitation.

Give the man credit. We are quick to bitch when it goes wrong. So lets be quick with the praise when it goes very right.
For the moment too soon to appoint Ross based on the evidence just one good match, as to Ross carrying the can if results go badly wrong, well not really, he is not yet the full time boss and has been told that if his time as interim manager does not work out, then he gets reinstated back to his old job ! As I see it, it seems more like a joint sort of thing, with all three coaches having an input and Ross as the one put up front. As to Ross becoming the full time manager, well time to start thinking of doing that ( if it ever happens ? ) is when fairly good performances happen most of the time until at at least until around January time and also if those behind the scenes can see that Ross is the main person responsible for good results being achieved . For now, the court is still out making up its mind as to the final verdict. At least the team moved forward on Tuesday night and for the first time this season,produced a good second half performance. So let us please not go back again on Saturday to a negative kind of lineup and playing style we have seen so far in this early part of the season, too many like that and crowds at home games will soon drop. Seem like we might have found a good new player in Dennis, well lets play him then.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Sid Bishop wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:58 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:31 pm

For the moment too soon to appoint Ross based on the evidence just one good match, as to Ross carrying the can if results go badly wrong, well not really, he is not yet the full time boss and has been told that if his time as interim manager does not work out, then he gets reinstated back to his old job ! As I see it, it seems more like a joint sort of thing, with all three coaches having an input and Ross as the one put up front. As to Ross becoming the full time manager, well time to start thinking of doing that ( if it ever happens ? ) is when fairly good performances happen most of the time until at at least until around January time and also if those behind the scenes can see that Ross is the main person responsible for good results being achieved . For now, the court is still out making up its mind as to the final verdict. At least the team moved forward on Tuesday night and for the first time this season,produced a good second half performance. So let us please not go back again on Saturday to a negative kind of lineup and playing style we have seen so far in this early part of the season, too many like that and crowds at home games will soon drop. Seem like we might have found a good new player in Dennis, well lets play him then.
Sid. Tell me where I said he deserves the job based on the evidence of ONE game? I didn't nor would I.

The evidence is based on 4 league games so far (with only 1 defeat, two wins and an unlucky draw) plus as I have repeatedly said he needs another couple of decent results. That is most likely going to be 7 or probably 8/9 league games assuming we won't win the next 2 well enough. Not rocket science. Should we beat Crawley and Salford that in my opinion is good enough to get the gig. 4 wins in 6. Can't ask for much more. But realistically it will be a bit longer. NOT based on one game. Don't know how many times I have to say it.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

He needs until Christmas before a verdict is reached.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Disoriented wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:17 pm He needs until Christmas before a verdict is reached.
Agree.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

[quote="dOh Nut"
Sid. Tell me where I said he deserves the job based on the evidence of ONE game? I didn't nor would I.

The evidence is based on 4 league games so far (with only 1 defeat, two wins and an unlucky draw) plus as I have repeatedly said he needs another couple of decent results. That is most likely going to be 7 or probably 8/9 league games assuming we won't win the next 2 well enough. Not rocket science. Should we beat Crawley and Salford that in my opinion is good enough to get the gig. 4 wins in 6. Can't ask for much more. But realistically it will be a bit longer. NOT based on one game. Don't know how many times I have to say it.
[/quote]

@dOh Nut
At the end of the day, we are just giving our opinions on a football forum, so none of what we think really matters !!
For myself if empowered to do so, I would want to see what goes on behind the scenes as to who is the main influence to any ( hoped for ) good form that may happen in the future. You seem to be guessing that the win on Tuesday was all mainly down to Ross taking big decisions, well you , I and others who follow the Os are not is a position to know what goes on behind the scenes are we. Anyway, I myself think that we should wait at least till around Christmas / New Year till any such decision is made but it is not going to be my decision to make anymore than it is yours.
So it will remain merely a topic of supposition and no more.
Last edited by Sid Bishop on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

So, for example, he wins 8 from 10 we still wait till Christmas?

I'd prefer it for him to be judges on results and not some date deadline.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

dOh Nut wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:10 pm So, for example, he wins 8 from 10 we still wait till Christmas?

Now that IS a big hope !!
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Sid Bishop wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:10 pm [quote="dOh Nut"

At the end of the day, we are just giving our opinions on a football forum, so none of what we think really matters !!
For myself if empowered to do so, I would want to see what goes on behind the scenes as to who is the main influence to any ( hoped for ) good form that may happen in the future.
You seem to be guessing that the win on Tuesday was all mainly all down to Ross taking big decisions, well you , I and others who follow the Os are not is a position to know what goes on behind the scenes are we. Anyway, I myself think that we should wait at least till around Christmas / New Year till any such decision is made but it is not going to be my decision to make anymore than it is yours .
[/quote]

Ross makes the decisions during the game. If he is not making the decisions he is in the wrong job. Talk with others, sure, but he makes the calls, he carries the can, he gets the plaudits. He will or will not get the job based on his ability. Talking with others don't change that.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Sid Bishop wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:13 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:10 pm So, for example, he wins 8 from 10 we still wait till Christmas?

Just making the point that setting a date deadline ain't the way to go. Has to be flexible. should we lose 10 out of 10 are we suggesting waiting till Christmas. Of course not.

Review based on results. If the results are mixed then allow more time. If the results are very good, give him the job. Bad, the appoint someone else.

Sure, the Board will discuss regularly his progress.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Saturday will be a good test. The panel on the Orient Hour are expecting 352 again on Saturday despite 433/442 being so successful on Tuesday. That being so it’s one of JMD/Dennis/Brophy to start.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

dOh Nut wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:45 am Saturday will be a good test. The panel on the Orient Hour are expecting 352 again on Saturday despite 433/442 being so successful on Tuesday. That being so it’s one of JMD/Dennis/Brophy to start.
If he reverts back to a failed system then he is an idiot who doesn’t learn from he’s mistakes.
Expect another dire performance for 60 minutes and see him make a change too late.
The players who got him out of the hole last time will feel let down.
I fully expect him to start with a flat back 4 and see us win comfortably.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Byways1 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:43 am
dOh Nut wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:45 am Saturday will be a good test. The panel on the Orient Hour are expecting 352 again on Saturday despite 433/442 being so successful on Tuesday. That being so it’s one of JMD/Dennis/Brophy to start.
If he reverts back to a failed system then he is an idiot who doesn’t learn from he’s mistakes.
Expect another dire performance for 60 minutes and see him make a change too late.
The players who got him out of the hole last time will feel let down.
I fully expect him to start with a flat back 4 and see us win comfortably.
@Byways1
Good comment, short, sharp and to the point.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

You said in your opening line “ he’s learning fast”
If he goes back to a failed system then he is not.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Get some sleep man, dont let this subject stop you having your bedtime slumbers !!
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Sid Bishop wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:13 pm

Too right Sid.
I and obviously the owners as well “ hence the job title”have got grave doubts weather this bloke is management material.
Can he command the respect of he’s staff?
Can he set a team out where the players can buy into and produce their best?
Can he enforce discipline through force of personality?
And if he can then this will be obvious to everybody on a match day and the job will be his
I wait to see, but as yet the jury’s out.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Byways 1 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:46 am
You said in your opening line “ he’s learning fast”
If he goes back to a failed system then he is not.
@Byways1 .... Agree with you there.
Ross has a long way to go yet before he convinces me that he is a good LONG TERM choice to be the Os next manager.
We do not know the full story of what happened in the half time talk on Tuesday, I think there was more to it than Ross just having a miracle
10 minute miraculous transformation and thus changing into a fiery ''Ferguson'' like figure of a Football Manager !
@dOh Nut wrote in his opening to this thread.......''I truly hope that following a couple more good results we finally ditch the interim tag the Board their trust in Ross and give him the gig.'' So according to that wish, two or three good results and Ross given the job ?
Let us not get too hasty here, no rush and review progress made around Christmas/New Year time.