Euro 2024

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Euro 2024

Post by Dunners »

You've got to feel sorry for Georgia there. Brilliant game.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Dunners wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:58 pm You've got to feel sorry for Georgia there. Brilliant game.
Game of the tournament so far,
Georgia were so unlucky
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

Dunners wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:58 pm You've got to feel sorry for Georgia there. Brilliant game.
Harsh scoreline, but if you send the keeper up & lose the ball it's going to be punished. Superb game of Football
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

Cheshunto wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:59 pm
Game of the tournament so far,
Georgia were so unlucky
This
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

Can't say I was filled with enthusiasm for this match. Glad I decided to watch. Best International I've seen for years. Never a dull moment and some fabulous skills on display
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Hold on a minute. The Scotch smashed them in the qualifiers as evidenced by this headline

Squeegees & classy Scotland see off angry Georgians

So how on earth did they get to the Euro finals. Its almost like anybody can get there these days. FFS only half of Turkey is in Europe.

Don't even get me started on Israel.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

CEB wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:09 pm It’s so bizarre seeing people saying the same old sh*t, when we have, for the last decade, consistently grown into tournaments, navigated the group stage well, put in big performances. And how do people not get that the quality of a group stage performance says nothing about how a quarter final goes?
Did England play the same way against Netherlands in 96 as Switzerland a week earlier?
Seems like this was his last ever post, account deleted by the looks of it
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:21 am
CEB wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:09 pm It’s so bizarre seeing people saying the same old sh*t, when we have, for the last decade, consistently grown into tournaments, navigated the group stage well, put in big performances. And how do people not get that the quality of a group stage performance says nothing about how a quarter final goes?
Did England play the same way against Netherlands in 96 as Switzerland a week earlier?
Seems like this was his last ever post, account deleted by the looks of it
Yep. The fascist regime that runs this place gave him a choice between oppression or exile. He chose to keep his dignity.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

I win.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Great tournament after the first round. Really love the euros
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Got back from seeing a couple of games yesterday. Atmosphere has been superb and Germany is almost uniquely suited to hosting these sorts of things - very lax drinking laws mean there's beer available everywhere, cafes and bars for fans to mingle, superb stadiums and relatively decent infrastructure. I was in Munich and Berlin though, which are belting cities, have heard less positive things about some of the towns on the rhein as hosts.

Have to say some of the logistical stuff wasn't great (lots of uncomfortable crowding situations, fan parks not well run, transport is clearly fraying) but all in all, a really fantastic tournament so far. Felt like the first really decent one since 2016, before the sequence of Russia- cross Europe - Qatar started.
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:23 pm Hold on a minute. The Scotch smashed them in the qualifiers as evidenced by this headline

So how on earth did they get to the Euro finals. Its almost like anybody can get there these days. FFS only half of Turkey is in Europe.

I think you have misunderstood the situation. It was the southern US state of Georgia that was in Scotland's qualifying group (makes as much sense as teams from Kazakhstan competing in the UEFA Champions League, given that it borders China). The squeegees referred to was in relation to the monsoon conditions in Atlanta on the night that Scotland played there. In the aftermath, the song "A Rainy Night In Georgia" was written and has become something of a classic. I hope that this has clarified things for you
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Albania Croatia game of the tournament so far, incredible stuff. Descended into complete chaos at the end and Albania, somehow, almost snatched it.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Wasn't a fan of expanding the competition (and still think it's a bit daft that so many 3rd placed sides go through, allows the big boys even more chances to sneak through) but since they did, some of the best games have involved smaller sides who wouldn't have otherwise qualified - was lucky enough to be at POR 3-3 HUN two Euros ago which definitely fell into that category.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Fair play to the Scots only having 4 out of their 11 starters not being born there, progress
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Congratulations to the sweaties for the deflection
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Oh well.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Celtient wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:16 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:23 pm Hold on a minute. The Scotch smashed them in the qualifiers as evidenced by this headline

I think you have misunderstood the situation. It was the southern US state of Georgia that was in Scotland's qualifying group (makes as much sense as teams from Kazakhstan competing in the UEFA Champions League, given that it borders China). The squeegees referred to was in relation to the monsoon conditions in Atlanta on the night that Scotland played there. In the aftermath, the song "A Rainy Night In Georgia" was written and has become something of a classic. I hope that this has clarified things for you
Yes that makes perfect sense.

It's a shame that Russia didn't make it to the finals, notwithstanding they are in Europe, Central Asia and the Far East.

Can't see why China and Australia don't get invited in too and it could be some sort of mini World Cup.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Max B Gold wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:09 pm

It's a shame that Russia didn't make it to the finals, notwithstanding they are in Europe, Central Asia and the Far East.

Can't see why China and Australia don't get invited in too and it could be some sort of mini World Cup.
Yeah, why not, after all don’t Australia and Israel somehow get into the Eurovision Song Contest 🙄🙄
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Max B Gold wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:09 pm

Well done Scotland and such a shame that they gave away their lead by conceding such a sloppy equaliser when a bewildering blind back pass from Anthony Ralston giftwrapped an opportunity for Xherdan Shaqiri to sweep home a sublime first-time shot high beyond Angus Gunn. Big blow to Scotland when Kieran Tierney pulled up clutching his hamstring and will have to wait and see how serious this injury is.
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

Yep well done Scotland for winning the Euros ⚽️🏆

I woke up this morning and thought I had slept thru the tournament and Scotland had won the Euros 👏
Wow all this hype about Scotland it’s crazy!

So I showered and checked again, and I had not slept thru the Euros, Scotland drew 1-1 v Switzerland
🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

But we’ll done Scotland for scoring a goal and getting 1 point
👏👏
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Stan1972 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:35 am Yep well done Scotland for winning the Euros ⚽️🏆

I woke up this morning and thought I had slept thru the tournament and Scotland had won the Euros 👏

So I showered and checked again, and I had not slept thru the Euros, Scotland drew 1-1 v Switzerland
🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

👏👏
Both sides had their chances but overall a draw was a fair result.
Scotland's keeper pulled off some very good saves.
A very bad defensive error gave the Swiss the goal chance which they took well.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Stan1972 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:35 am Yep well done Scotland for winning the Euros ⚽️🏆

🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

👏👏
Nah - Scotchland haven’t scored a goal yet this tournament. They’re relying on the generosity of the opposition - both goals so far have been oggies. Weirdly, some committee or other awarded last nights one to the player. Bless.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

I thought Scotland played well last night and fully deserved the draw . Hungary hasn't impressed me and don't look much . I think Scotland can beat them and make it through to the next round .
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:56 am I thought Scotland played well last night and fully deserved the draw . Hungary hasn't impressed me and don't look much . I think Scotland can beat them and make it through to the next round .
Hungary pushed Germany for large parts of the game yesterday. They’ll beat Scotland comfortably