Election Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Election Watch

Post by Dunners »

Hoover Attack wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:44 pm
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:55 pm If you are left leaning, The Green Party is moreorless all you have to vote for, now Labour have moved well to the right of centre.
I like Carla Denyer, and I hope she wins Bristol Central, and beats that awful Thangham Debonaire
I’m not a fan - she’s no Caroline Lucas, is she?
No, she's not. But I did find it funny how she quickly washed the purple hair dye out when the election was called. She's not stupid, just beholden to and exploiting the core-crank support the Greens attract. I expect we'll have witnessed a remarkable transformation in her political outlook by 2029.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Macron calls snap elections as far-right support surges in European elections

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-69102843
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Quite fancy Denyer, can't lie.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

faldO wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:58 pm Macron calls snap elections as far-right support surges in European elections

Incredible result for Le Pen in the European elections. I get why Macron is rolling the dice, as he's facing a serious threat by 2027. If the hard right get parliamentary power before then he could benefit from them having used up their honeymoon-period capital.

Or not. He's certainly taking a gamble.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Also, if the EU continues on it's trajectory of becoming a hard/far right haven, at what point to the current retainers turn their back and the Farage financiers campaign to rejoin?
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Massive gamble by Marcon. Putin's Christmases all coming at once with Le Penn, Trump and the EU moving to the right this year.

At least there won't be a war, just an orderly surrender.
Last edited by The Mindsweep on Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEB

Post by CEB »

It’s bloody annoying that the greens are full of cranks and idiots. There really is a need for a strong political movement that gives a s*** about the environment, but the greens in their current state are just bloody rubbish.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:55 pm
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:55 pm If you are left leaning, The Green Party is moreorless all you have to vote for, now Labour have moved well to the right of centre.
I like Carla Denyer, and I hope she wins Bristol Central, and beats that awful Thangham Debonaire
No, she's not. But I did find it funny how she quickly washed the purple hair dye out when the election was called. She's not stupid, just beholden to and exploiting the core-crank support the Greens attract. I expect we'll have witnessed a remarkable transformation in her political outlook by 2029.
Lucas was every bit the anti democratic crank that most Greens are:

https://www.conter.scot/2023/6/20/carol ... democracy/
CEB

Post by CEB »

Scotch infowars? You should’ve agreed with me on my thread if you wanted to link to mad sites like that
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

And now the Belgian PM has resigned. These European elections and the upcoming French parliamentary elections could be of more significance than the UK General Election.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Dunners wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:52 pm And now the Belgian PM has resigned. These European elections and the upcoming French parliamentary elections could be of more significance than the UK General Election.
I want to move to Scandinavia
LeighO
Fresh Alias

Post by LeighO »

Not only did she wash the purple hair dye out, she moved from London to Bristol and changed her name from Zoe Garbett.

Or maybe you’ve mixed up 2 completely different people.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

This is a nice summary of where we all are

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

CEB wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:49 pm Scotch infowars? You should’ve agreed with me on my thread if you wanted to link to mad sites like that
Sigh - what thread?

It's not a mad site. Its just a bit different from your lily livered bed wetting liberalism. That's all. Nobody is demanding you agree with him.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

LeighO wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:14 pm

Not only did she wash the purple hair dye out, she moved from London to Bristol and changed her name from Zoe Garbett.

Or maybe you’ve mixed up 2 completely different people.
Nope. I know who Garbett is. Denyer defo went a tad protestor purple before Sunak called the election. It wasn't full-on, possibly just a tuft, but she certainly partaked (even if she didn't inhale).
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

I don’t recall the hair dye?

But regardless - why are you so obsessed with people dying their hair? It’s really not that big a thing these days.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Hoover Attack wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:33 pm

I don’t recall the hair dye?

But regardless - why are you so obsessed with people dying their hair? It’s really not that big a thing these days.
It makes sneering/ hate easier.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Also, how can you be beholden to and exploiting the 'cranks'* simultaneously?

*people left of centre with whom you were generally aligned with pre 2017.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Beholden to - because step out of line on any issue and they will turn on you like rabid dogs

Exploiting - because while they see you as a good guy, there’s nothing easier than keeping them onside by telling them what they want to hear, regardless of if you can deliver it
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

I fear Farage will win Clacton, and we will have our first genuine fascist in the House of Commons for decades.

The far right have always offered simplistic solutions for all the problems society faces, and most ( not all) who support them, lets say, are not the most intelligent individuals.

It feels at the moment, like it probably did in Germany, in the late 20's , early 30's, when the far right offered simplistic solutions, and blamed a minority for all those problems.

History tells us, when the people turn far right, it always ends bad, but people never learn

The only thing we learn from history is we never learn from history
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

faldO wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:58 pm Macron calls snap elections as far-right support surges in European elections

Just like Cameron and Varadker before him, when things don’t go their way they throw their toys out the pram.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Any thoughts as to why Europeans have lurched to the right?
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

LSN:- Any thoughts as to why Europeans have lurched to the right?

Boat loads of Africans looking to up their standard of living in Europe. European Colonialists milked Africa, now washed their hands of it, left it to the Chinese who are now doing the exploitation. No wonder the people with brains want out of Africa. Then of course, the effects of Global warming will really kick in.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:38 am Any thoughts as to why Europeans have lurched to the right?
A few thoughts:

Stagnant wage growth (at best) since 2008
Rapid deindustrialisation - especially for Germany
Ageing demographics creating an imbalance between generational cohorts
Increased national security concerns
Unprecedented mass immigration
Flatlining productivity levels
Coordinated and targeted far-right campaigns through social media
An over-production of a cultural elite
The increasing disconnect of the economic elite
The end of the post-war economic and security consensus
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

In France, the election results on a map show that the division is between rural v urban communities. In Germany, however, it's straightforward East v West.