Gareth Southgate Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Gareth Southgate Watch

Post by Cheshunto »

Just returning from Wembley after another lacklustre England performance having lost 0-1 to the mighty Iceland.
England were poor and yet many people seem to make us ‘favourites’ for the upcoming Euros in Germany.
Many of the vast crowd had left long before the end before those who stayed “Booed” the team off the pitch.
The most entertaining part of the evening was watching the hundreds of ‘paper aeroplanes’ being launched down from the stands and seeing if any reached the pitch.
Southgate has work to do IMO as when Iceland did attack they looked very dangerous and by contrast many of the England players looked tired and lacklustre.
LeighO
Fresh Alias

Re: Gareth Southgate Watch

Post by LeighO »

Not the first time England have lost to Iceland though is it?
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Quarters
Final
Semis

Show the man some respect.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

Can’t help but think that Grealish might have been a game changer tonight.
The team looked turgid especially in midfield
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:29 pm Quarters
Final
Semis

Won nothing in 11 years of trying. No problem with losing to teams with better players, but I don't think one Icelandic player gets in the England team. When it isn't going right just seems to change players not formations. Its not as if we haven't seen these inept displays before. I genuinely believe Richie would do a better job, would love to see what he could do with the talent Southgate has at his disposal.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:02 am
Final
Semis

Won nothing in 11 years of trying. No problem with losing to teams with better players, but I don't think one Icelandic player gets in the England team. When it isn't going right just seems to change players not formations. Its not as if we haven't seen these inept displays before. I genuinely believe Richie would do a better job, would love to see what he could do with the talent Southgate has at his disposal.
Richie is not a better manager than Southgate
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

My feelings on Southgate are well documented, he is incompetent. He hasn’t won anything and will never win anything. His concept of tactical knowledge is negligible, he’s more concerned about loosing games than winning them hence the fact he moistly uses two defensive midfielders, you can read him like a book. As for Grealish someone I’ve championed for some time, however for once I agree with Southgate, playing for city and Guardiola has ruined him as a footballer but I’m sure his bank manager is more than happy.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:19 am My feelings on Southgate are well documented, he is incompetent. He hasn’t won anything and will never win anything. His concept of tactical knowledge is negligible, he’s more concerned about loosing games than winning them hence the fact he mostly uses two defensive midfielders, you can read him like a book. As for Grealish someone I’ve championed for some time, however for once I agree with Southgate, playing for city and Guardiola has ruined him as a footballer but I’m sure his bank manager is more than happy.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:02 am
Final
Semis

He’s only been England manager for about 8 years
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

I see after years of people slagging Southgate off for not picking players who are in form, he's now picked a squad almost entirely based on recent form and is now getting slagged off for it 👍

Does sound like we were crap last night but only a friendly, so who really cares?
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:19 am My feelings on Southgate are well documented, he is incompetent. He hasn’t won anything and will never win anything. His concept of tactical knowledge is negligible, he’s more concerned about loosing games than winning them hence the fact he moistly uses two defensive midfielders, you can read him like a book. As for Grealish someone I’ve championed for some time, however for once I agree with Southgate, playing for city and Guardiola has ruined him as a footballer but I’m sure his bank manager is more than happy.
Another players confidence ruined by going to a so called bigger club. Pep hardly played him when he first arrived, then when he did he made a play a game that was not suited to him (get ball, pass it) losing all his confidence of gliding past players with ease like he did at villa. Needs to leave city and given that vital free roll at another club, possibly Spain where he might well thrive
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

It was a friendly a week before a tournament game. Of course it was going to be lacklustre. Why would anyone expect otherwise?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

We always do our best to slag off every England manager don’t we?

He’s been outstanding for England, let down by a lack of defenders in the last 20 years. I’m exited for our chances this year. I’m not sure we win it but we’ve genuinely got a world class attacking and midfield unit and manager in in charge who knows how to motivate and manage a young squad.

Anyone attending England friendlies are mental though
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Friendlies don't matter. We qualified from a potentially tricky qualifying group at a canter. Every tournament we've qualified for under Southgate, we've turned up and played well. We had a better balanced team in terms of personnel in the 2000s and flunked every single tournament.

Baffling this all needs repeating. Bit of a changing of the guard this time around and feel this may be one tournament too many for Southgate, but he's done a historically good job. I'd never seen England make the semis of a tournament before, let alone a final. Second only to Ramsey.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:34 am We always do our best to slag off every England manager don’t we?

He’s been outstanding for England, let down by a lack of defenders in the last 20 years. I’m exited for our chances this year. I’m not sure we win it but we’ve genuinely got a world class attacking and midfield unit and manager in in charge who knows how to motivate and manage a young squad.

Our defenders aren't the issue imo. We have always lacked the deep lying midfielders that can control the tempo of a game, which are vital at international tournaments. Will be our Achilles heel again unless Mainoo, Wharton or Alexander Arnold step up into the role at very short notice.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Mistadobalina wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:16 am Baffling this all needs repeating.
Really?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Mistadobalina wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:19 am
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:34 am We always do our best to slag off every England manager don’t we?

Our defenders aren't the issue imo. We have always lacked the deep lying midfielders that can control the tempo of a game, which are vital at international tournaments. Will be our Achilles heel again unless Mainoo, Wharton or Alexander Arnold step up into the role at very short notice.
I don’t disagree but when you look at our defence over the last 10 years compared to other top countries it’s properly embarrassing.

Don’t know anything about Wharton. Love Mainoo but probably unrealistic to rely on him this time round. TAA is an interesting one and I think he could properly dominate but not sure he’s had enough experience in that role considering he doesn’t play it at club level (yet)
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Some thoughts:

Odd one with Grealish. Thing is: when he gets the ball there is a surge of expectation. He is prone to winning fire-kicks in dangerous situations. His personal charisma can add something to a faceless team. He is perhaps the closest member of the squad to be labelled “The People’s Footballer.”

It was evident that Iceland “were up for it.” Good luck to them. England will play better, not sure we can win the Euros, though. The England players looked confused in this game. Southgate is good at PR, not sure he is as good as firing up the players. Imagine what a Robson or a Venables could have achieved with this squad. Both managers had the personal touch - the ruffle of the hair and bit of a hug as players left the pitch etc.

Mainly and Palmer both gifted and seem hungry. Bellingham is world-class.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:34 am Anyone attending England friendlies are mental though
Unless you're a tigh-arse accountant who, when pestered by his kids to be taken to an England International at Wembley, fobs them off with this instead.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

We're a real chore to watch outside of the main tournaments, but always have been.
Fellowo
Fresh Alias

Post by Fellowo »

Really don't know what people expect, a friendly just after a long season and the game before a major championship. Yet again these friendlies are just arranged to fill the FA coffers and have no consideration for the actual team.

As for Southgate, he's not manys cup of tea, but realistically I'm struggling to think of another English Manager that could take over. And whether its Southgate or someone else, their hands are somewhat tied with available English players that play for teams at the top end of the Premier League.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Southgate made the England team likeable and completely turned around an England squad that was at its lowest moment in modern history - worse even than when we didn’t qualify for 94.
We’ve turned up at every tournament we’ve been involved in since 2018 and given a good account of ourselves.
But a friendly loss and a turgid performance when main priority is emerging unscathed? Sack him!
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:31 am
Southgate is good at PR, not sure he is as good as firing up the players. Imagine what a Robson or a Venables could have achieved with this squad. Both managers had the personal touch - the ruffle of the hair and bit of a hug as players left the pitch etc.
Motivating players is his single biggest strength, don't think this criticism holds at all. He's built a squad that looks forward to turning up to international duty and that loves playing for him.

His weakness is that he's not tactically flexible, as has been shown in big games where we have let promising situations run away from us.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Southgate's never hugged anyone as they leave the pitch? People just make anything up these days, amazing.
CEB

Post by CEB »

These days if you ruffle a players hair you get metoo’d