Tory Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Re: Tory Watch

Post by Rubex Kube »

Dunners wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:36 pm Tory chairman, Richard Holden, has been parachuted in as the sole candidate for Basildon and Billericay. Apparently the local party association and councillors are fumin'. Disgraceful behaviour by the Tories.
Who?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Rubex Kube wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:44 pm
Dunners wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:36 pm Tory chairman, Richard Holden, has been parachuted in as the sole candidate for Basildon and Billericay. Apparently the local party association and councillors are fumin'. Disgraceful behaviour by the Tories.
Who?
D!ck Holdthem. Good mates with D!ck Handler.
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

Dunners wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:01 pm
Who?
D!ck Holdthem. Good mates with D!ck Handler.
:lol: I didn't see that coming
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

The D Day Commemoration event, attended by world leaders and being the last one which will have survivor veterans present, and the Prime Minister abandoned it to fly back and do a political interview with ITV. An interview to deny that he lied about Labour's tax increases, which won't even be shown until next week.

Even senior Tory cheerleaders are turning their backs on him now. But who advised him that doing such a thing was a good idea? Has Starmer got a saboteur inside Sunak's team?
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Who?
I know him well. Son of Amanda and Texas.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Is it cynical to suspect that the Tory election strategy is literally “present Sunak as an exaggerated version of an incompetent, so that after the election the Tories can recalibrate by drawing a line under the Sunak era rather than having to fully address the 14 years of power”?
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

I think you're giving them a lot more credit than they deserve.

Everyone knows that the core tory support and the olds generally love the wars and d-day and all that and not being there was suicidal electorally.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Something tells me that this isn't going to cut it. Sunak has seriously f*cked up here, and this is going to roll on.

Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Anyone made the retreat/dunkirk joke yet?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

:shock:

At any other time, this could be a resignation matter for a PM.

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

They're proper panicking. I had actual work to do today but it now looks like I'm going to have to get the biscuits and get scrolling.

Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

If he wasn't already nailed on to lose, and lose incredibly heavily, this would undoubtedly be a moment where you go "he's toast".
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Why would they stop running their ads?
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Long slender neck wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:08 am Why would they stop running their ads?
Volume of negative replies?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

I dont let it stop me.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

CEB wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:02 am Is it cynical to suspect that the Tory election strategy is literally “present Sunak as an exaggerated version of an incompetent, so that after the election the Tories can recalibrate by drawing a line under the Sunak era rather than having to fully address the 14 years of power”?
It does indeed look like he’s being set up. It makes perfect sense to reduce him to an even bigger tw*t than he is in order to blame all the Tories woes on him.

Ridiculous of course. The Tories have fecked us over for 14 years and Sunak has been a bit player at best during that period. But the ploy will go down well with many.

The Politics of Personality - it’s all one person’s fault and it will be better when X takes over instead. As long as you have Charisma you’re the one for the job! Love Island meets Westminster. I suppose they’re both about feckin as many people as possible.
ChorizO
Fresh Alias

Post by ChorizO »

Time to vote Labour and let credibility win through.
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

I’m reminded of a moment in the 2010 election campaign, when Gordon Brown called a life-long Labour supporter a “bigoted woman”, unaware that what he said was audible to the media. He later apologised – and rightly so – but it demonstrated to me just how out-of-touch he was with many traditional Labour voters, and the election was subsequently lost.

Rishi Sunak leaving early from the D Day event is astonishing, as with Brown, as apology issued, but if anything demonstrated how out-of-touch he is with the majority of voters, including traditional Conservative voters, it was that, and the disastrous campaign reaches a new low. Great for Labour and Reform UK I’d think.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

He's actually managing to be more sh*t at this than Theresa May.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

EastDerehamO wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:14 pm I’m reminded of a moment in the 2010 election campaign, when Gordon Brown called a life-long Labour supporter a “bigoted woman”, unaware that what he said was audible to the media. He later apologised – and rightly so – but it demonstrated to me just how out-of-touch he was with many traditional Labour voters, and the election was subsequently lost.
My son was canvassing for Labour yesterday in a traditional Labour area.

I asked how it was going and he replied "Good. But people are so racist tho"

It looks like you're onto something there EDO. If Starmfuerher Keith was to do more public racisms Labour would walk it.
Orientnil
Fresh Alias

Post by Orientnil »

I thought this man was keen on National Service.
Fellowo
Fresh Alias

Post by Fellowo »

EastDerehamO wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:14 pm I’m reminded of a moment in the 2010 election campaign, when Gordon Brown called a life-long Labour supporter a “bigoted woman”, unaware that what he said was audible to the media. He later apologised – and rightly so – but it demonstrated to me just how out-of-touch he was with many traditional Labour voters, and the election was subsequently lost.

Rishi Sunak leaving early from the D Day event is astonishing, as with Brown, as apology issued, but if anything demonstrated how out-of-touch he is with the majority of voters, including traditional Conservative voters, it was that, and the disastrous campaign reaches a new low. Great for Labour and Reform UK I’d think.
Don't know about being out of touch, more like being damn right disrespectful.

Would have been forgiven if he had to leave due to a family emergency, but just for an ITV interview, wow!

This, the apparent lying about Labour putting up taxes, what they got up to when we weren't even allowed to see loved ones and no doubt plenty of other stuff, even if Tory is the only party you would ever vote for, how can anyone stick by them now.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Has a sitting PM ever resigned during an election campaign previously? I don't see how he can survive this. His non-apology on Sky a little while ago seems to be making things worse.

Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:40 pm
My son was canvassing for Labour yesterday in a traditional Labour area.
Outing your boy as a Sir Kid Starver fan on the internet…. [##]
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Dunners wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:13 pm Has a sitting PM ever resigned during an election campaign previously? I don't see how he can survive this. His non-apology on Sky a little while ago seems to be making things worse.

At least he’s learnt his lesson that rain makes you wet and is using a gazebo.

Baby steps