Ride London

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Ride London

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

I’d love it if the rest of us who are not cyclists could have one day when these two-wheel menaces are not allowed on London’s streets.
It’s bad enough that so much tax payers money goes to creating lanes that these bastards don’t use, and that they seem to have absolute immunity from rules governing the highways in general, without this imposition upon London by Lycra-clad twerps.
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Re: Ride London

Post by Brigs »

Grumpy Old Man Thread?
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

ContrifibulatoryFred wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:32 pm I’d love it if the rest of us who are not cyclists could have one day when these two-wheel menaces are not allowed on London’s streets.
It’s bad enough that so much tax payers money goes to creating lanes that these bastards don’t use, and that they seem to have absolute immunity from rules governing the highways in general, without this imposition upon London by Lycra-clad twerps.
Am I right in thinking that they can also ride around like, in some cases, lunatics without any insurance at all ??
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient_Man_And_Boy »

ContrifibulatoryFred wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:32 pm I’d love it if the rest of us who are not cyclists could have one day when these two-wheel menaces are not allowed on London’s streets.
“upon London”?!

I live out in untamed Essex and we had to close our road links to neighbouring towns for this, and re-route /cancel our already scant bus services. Still, a good number of pot-holes were ‘shifted up the list’. 🚙
Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient Punxx »

Outrage!!! Don’t really get all the hate to fellow humans. Anyone on 2 wheels is exposed and we should be looking out for them. Yep there are a few who think they can abdicate all sense of risk to other road users but that’s life.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

I think it says a lot about someone that hates cyclist
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Imagine a once a year event getting people so riled.
Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Post by Friend or faux »

ContrifibulatoryFred & the guys that support him, seriously need to take a long hard look at themselves & perhaps even be wondering whether or not they should be driving. The car can be a lethal weapon in the wrong hands. There is also a psychological aspect. They feel empowered & entitled when they step into their car. OK, so they pay a road fund tax. Does that entitle them to more UK space than people who dont pay the tax: pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders, children playing outside, livestock that have strayed onto the roads, wildlife etc?
I think not & this staggeringly entitled viewpoint strikes me as being very dangerous. They obviously have never read the Highway Code. I was taught to drive defensively; always on the lookout for the unexpected, or the idiotic, things that are difficult to see and to beware of people not as bright as me.
I have driven for 60 years. Always liked to travel as fast as conditions allow. But the addition of money grabbing speed limits has curtailed this of late. My latest episode of poor health ( some unexplained seizures ), meant that I instantly abandoned the idea of driving until this is ( if ever ) is sorted out. God! What if I had had a seizure doing 70mph down the M3? It doesn't bear thinking about. Yet I am sure there are plenty of twats who would carry on driving in these circumstances.
So I am considering a motorised scooter to hurtle down pavements at 20mph. PS: I have never worn Lycra!
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Picture the scene. I drive down from Edinburgh yesterday to see mum in Woodford. Left the house at 5.30am Had one hold up of 30 minutes. Another traffic jam on the m11 of 45 minutes. Eventually get to Loughton heading into Woodford and what do you know, all roads closed. 1 hour of trying anyway possible to get round the barriers but all roads led to either dead ends or more barriers. Eventually gave up and waited till 6.30 when reopened. 13 hours in the car. Not a happy bunny. On a positive note, the men looked great in Lycra.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

This has made my bank holiday weekend
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Beradogs wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:23 am Picture the scene. I drive down from Edinburgh yesterday to see mum in Woodford. Left the house at 5.30am Had one hold up of 30 minutes. Another traffic jam on the m11 of 45 minutes. Eventually get to Loughton heading into Woodford and what do you know, all roads closed. 1 hour of trying anyway possible to get round the barriers but all roads led to either dead ends or more barriers. Eventually gave up and waited till 6.30 when reopened. 13 hours in the car. Not a happy bunny. On a positive note, the men looked great in Lycra.
Should have got the train.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Anger is an energy!!
Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Post by Friend or faux »

When I was in the Isle of Man a couple of years ago, vast chunks of their road network were closed for nigh on a full day, on several days. Once for a walk the Parishes charity walk, the other for some sort of cycle race. No alternative routes were sign posted & you just had to get on with it. Then there is the the TT. Major roads are closed for 2 weeks while petrol head nutters try & kill themselves ( often succeeding ). Imagine what the Natives have to endure. Still, they don't pay much tax.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

Friend or faux wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:07 am ContrifibulatoryFred & the guys that support him, seriously need to take a long hard look at themselves & perhaps even be wondering whether or not they should be driving. The car can be a lethal weapon in the wrong hands. There is also a psychological aspect. They feel empowered & entitled when they step into their car. OK, so they pay a road fund tax. Does that entitle them to more UK space than people who dont pay the tax: pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders, children playing outside, livestock that have strayed onto the roads, wildlife etc?
I think not & this staggeringly entitled viewpoint strikes me as being very dangerous. They obviously have never read the Highway Code. I was taught to drive defensively; always on the lookout for the unexpected, or the idiotic, things that are difficult to see and to beware of people not as bright as me.
I have driven for 60 years. Always liked to travel as fast as conditions allow. But the addition of money grabbing speed limits has curtailed this of late. My latest episode of poor health ( some unexplained seizures ), meant that I instantly abandoned the idea of driving until this is ( if ever ) is sorted out. God! What if I had had a seizure doing 70mph down the M3? It doesn't bear thinking about. Yet I am sure there are plenty of twats who would carry on driving in these circumstances.
So I am considering a motorised scooter to hurtle down pavements at 20mph. PS: I have never worn Lycra!
What a load of nonsense this is. I am a pedestrian who is fed up of the significant minority of asshole cyclists in the roads and pavements who really do not have any regard for other people and yet still have this massive sense of entitlement that includes the need for everybody else to validate their selfishness.
So please put away your anti-car rhetoric. I’m all for bicycles but not if it is to the detriment of everyone else who needs to get about safely - and certainly not if it means said cyclists can jump lights, speed, and kill or injure pedestrians. And it makes me sick that cyclists pretend it’s not happening by hiding behind low statistics of fatalities.
If the capital can be paralysed one day a year to celebrate cycling could Mr Khan at least not consider one day a year when cyclists give the rest of us a break!
LPE
Fresh Alias

Post by LPE »

Regular respectful cyclist here. Always follow the rules of the road the way a car should.

RideLondon (FreeCycle) is a fantastic event and gets thousands of people up off their arses and exercising. I know many an unhealthy overweight Boomer who took it up and it saved their lives. More people doing exercise should be actively encouraged and one day of inconvenience a year for us Londoners and those in the shires is not too much to ask for.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

LPE wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:06 pm Regular respectful cyclist here. Always follow the rules of the road the way a car should.

RideLondon (FreeCycle) is a fantastic event and gets thousands of people up off their arses and exercising. I know many an unhealthy overweight Boomer who took it up and it saved their lives. More people doing exercise should be actively encouraged and one day of inconvenience a year for us Londoners and those in the shires is not too much to ask for.
This.

I'm a respectful cyclist too. I belong to a club, which means you have to be insured 3rd party. If you car drivers think potholes in the road are bad - try cycling 1-2 feet away from the pavement!

I did RideLondon for the second time yesterday. Its a great event that creates many garden parties and festival attitudes (Ongar was particularly good) as well as being good for getting people up and moving. I had to get back to Woodford Green with the road still closed. Don't know where you were trying to get Fred, but if you knew the area then you could almost certainly get to or near to where you needed. I managed to get back to the opposite side of the road to the Cricketers at Woodford Green with a small detour and an even smaller delay due to the volume of traffic using the back roads.
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Beradogs wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:23 am Picture the scene. I drive down from Edinburgh yesterday to see mum in Woodford. Left the house at 5.30am Had one hold up of 30 minutes. Another traffic jam on the m11 of 45 minutes. Eventually get to Loughton heading into Woodford and what do you know, all roads closed. 1 hour of trying anyway possible to get round the barriers but all roads led to either dead ends or more barriers. Eventually gave up and waited till 6.30 when reopened. 13 hours in the car. Not a happy bunny. On a positive note, the men looked great in Lycra.
Been on a website for at least two months with details of the route and all road closures listed. So you are better prepared , it will be the same next year. I was staggered by the number of local drivers who were not aware of it . If you ever needed evidence of how stupid people in this country have become , look no further than the attempts of ignorant car users trying to cross the roads that were closed.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

We should pause to consider which form of transport is the greatest menace to other road users, the environment more generally, and even to pedestrians.
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

OyinbO wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:13 pm We should pause to consider which form of transport is the greatest menace to other road users, the environment more generally, and even to pedestrians.
Cars?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Speaking as a pedestrian who neither drives nor cycles I find bad cyclists and bad drivers equally annoying.

I think in London the gold medal for entitledness and poor adherence to the rules has to go to cyclists but in the rest of the country drivers definitely take the top spot :ugeek:
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

George M wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:32 pm
Been on a website for at least two months with details of the route and all road closures listed. So you are better prepared , it will be the same next year. I was staggered by the number of local drivers who were not aware of it . If you ever needed evidence of how stupid people in this country have become , look no further than the attempts of ignorant car users trying to cross the roads that were closed.
At Buckhurst Hill one tried driving down towards Woodford. Only got 10 metres and still tried to argue the case that as a road tax payer he was entitled. A massive bell-end.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

OyinbO wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:13 pm We should pause to consider which form of transport is the greatest menace to other road users, the environment more generally, and even to pedestrians.
To my mind pedestrians are much worser than cars or bikes. They think they own the road. Darting out as the green man at the crossing turns to red and almost causing an accident to themselves.

My personal pet hate are the ones who see you coming and know full well they won't cross in time but expect you to slow down. I've had a few near misses but I'll keep trying.

I expect they infuriate cyclists too with their self righteous entitled attitudes.
LPE
Fresh Alias

Post by LPE »

George M wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:32 pm
And there have been consequences from those actions sadly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c2eevmlz0yeo