Constituency Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Constituency Watch

Post by Friend or faux »

This is your chance to bring a certain constituency to everyone's attention: could be the one where you live, maybe where your bête noire MP ( eg Sir Christopher Robert Chope OBE or maybe Moggie ) is the sitting tenant, maybe a bellwether constituency.
I shall give you Bristol Central. Home of Thangam Debbonaire. This is definitely one to watch. It was formerly Bristol West.
Debbonaire was reelected in the 2017 general election with an increased majority of 37,336 votes; this was the fourth-largest majority by vote size nationally. Bristol West had been the number one target for the Green Party,which slipped to third place behind the Conservatives with a 12.9% vote share. Debbonaire had resisted calls from the Green Party for her to stand aside as part of a progressive alliance.The size of Debbonaire's majority was considered a shock, as the seat had been billed as a four-way marginal.
She is quite a girl: been harassed, survived Cancer, given up drinking, eating meat & smoking. A wamping majority in what was a 4 way marginal.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Constituency Watch

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Why should she think of stepping aside to aid the Green Party when she is the sitting MP?
Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Post by Friend or faux »

I think that was at the last ( BoJo election ).
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Very much looking forward to the look on her face on election night when she gets the old heave ho.

Shame she is being replaced by the neo liberals latest recruits.
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient_Man_And_Boy »

Saffron Walden now expanded (a lot) to become North West Essex and embrace as many Blue Walls as they could find.

Current MP: Mrs Kemi Badenoch (pronounced Baid-n-ock). Hoping to be the next Leader of The Opposition.
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

The Wolf of Badenoch will be spinning in his grave at that pronunciation
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Celtient wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:57 pm The Wolf of Badenoch will be spinning in his grave at that pronunciation
Ah, back in ‘11, I bested that Beast. As part of a fund-raiser (‘Wolf Trek’), I walked 45 miles across his land in one night and he didn’t put in an appearance. Call himself tough? Ha!!.
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

I've read about that walk. Sounds challenging. Why is the walk done through the night?
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Celtient wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:05 pm I've read about that walk. Sounds challenging. Why is the walk done through the night?
My guess would be to reduce the potential for sun-stroke / heat exhaustion? It’s a shame because the scenery would have been superb. Although eating a M&S chicken and stuffing sandwich at 03:00 in the morning is not something I’ll repeat.

The Trek was like having a year’s de-tox in one session. After four hours sleep and a meal, I felt like a 24 yo ago … I was 53.

One poor guy gave up at 40 miles. He sat down for an early morning cuppa at one of the official rest points and then couldn’t stand again - his legs simply refused to obey his brain. I was lucky to be part of a team who are all Scots and do this kind of challenge for fun.
Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Post by Friend or faux »

I've just checked the constituency of Christchurch. It doesn't list a Conservative candidate. The Hon ( lol ) Sir Christopher Chope hasn't made an announcement yet. He is a year older than me. That won't stop the ole bugger. If he does stand and is defeated, it will be the highlight of my life. The Tory equivalent of Corbyn.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Friend or faux wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:02 am I've just checked the constituency of Christchurch. It doesn't list a Conservative candidate. The Hon ( lol ) Sir Christopher Chope hasn't made an announcement yet. He is a year older than me. That won't stop the ole bugger. If he does stand and is defeated, it will be the highlight of my life. The Tory equivalent of Corbyn.
You would think Sunday would check he’s got something like a full team before he declares an election…
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

We have Laura Trott in Sevenoaks who holds a 20,000 majority. Considered a rising star in the party, she's a poor constituency MP IMO and I can see her having her majority slashed. Sevenoaks itself has mainly LibDem councillors and its only the surrounding countryside that keeps the Tories as their council. It would not surprise me if she ended up with a 8-12k majority.