Jack Simpson

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Jack Simpson

Post by Hoover Attack »

CEB wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:50 pm Long and short of it is the club can sign a guy who has done this if they believe it’s worth the damage to relations with the fans that take exception. The fans who take exception are under no obligation to get onboard if they feel that the club’s stance is wrong.
The people who made these decisions will have done so in the knowledge some people would object. It’s bizarre to think that as a result, those who object should stop objecting
This .
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:38 pm
Hoover Attack wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:22 pm
Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:19 pm Jack Simpson made an awful racist remark for which we was rightfully punished. Some think he should never play again, some think he deserves a second chance, but not with us. Others think that having apologised and made efforts with the local community, now is the time to look forwards rather than backwards. I think that summarises it, although I am sure that won't end it, as some just won't let it go.
Nor should they have to if they feel that strongly about it.
Racism is a form of persecution. Everybody has the right to make their feelings regards Jack known, I have no issue with that. But to continually keep slating a player now trying to get on with his life, and not letting it go, I view that as a form of persecution too.
😂

Oh behave yourself.
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:19 pm
Rubex Kube wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:29 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:23 pm
The game wasn’t finished with fans in the ground. So, Orient fans failed to make any mark.
Game wasn't abandoned & O's fans made a mark. watch riots & relegation to see that
Did they? They went down and the club nearly went under.
Yup, we got saved & went up twice.
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:21 pm
Rubex Kube wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:33 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:24 pm
I don’t have any view on Mandela as a person. I am against apartheid, sounds like you’re all for it, going by your posts.
White racist south africa jailed him, non racist south africa made him the president, opinions changed. unlikely you have that capability
You must have missed the post where I said if this was a player who tweeted something stupid 10 years ago as a kid, should be given a second chance.
I didn't miss it & I didn't miss the we all did something stupid when drunk quote either
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

CEB wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:12 pm Despite our back and forth on this a while ago, I actually think you’re entirely correct on this issue, and your view is legitimate
I can’t remember if I’ve said it or not, but my main objection to the whole thing is slightly less about Simpson as an individual (although I do think he’s a fanny) and much more with the fact that it completely undermines any future anti-racism message the club puts out. They lack any credibility putting out anti-racism messages because their actions don’t back up any sentiments of “kick it out”. What their actions tell us is that they want to kick racism out, unless you happen to be an alright L1 CB then we’re happy to ignore the fact you’re a racist and tell everyone to just get over it.

Just look at how emboldened the “ah it was just some name calling” crowd have been about this.

I also think it’s incredible double standards. If someone in the crowd called an opposition (or Orient) player what Simpson called his colleague they would absolutely be banned. However, it would be an atrocious look for the club if they lifted that ban in less than a year with the justification “everyone makes mistakes, they deserve a second chance”. I honestly don’t think they’d let a fan back in after less than a year, as they shouldn’t, so why on earth are they letting a player in who committed a serious offence less than a year ago?

Ultimately, Orient can sign who they want. But to me, they have zero credibility when it comes to anti-racism from now on.

I also can’t help but think that the same people who defend Simpson with the “everyone deserves a second chance” lines, are the same people who dish out abuse to opposition players who have been in the media for allegations about sexual assault. Wasn’t there a bloke this season getting pelters from the South Stand? Can’t remember what club but he ended up on Piers Morgan talking about it. Again, double standards that tell me certain people just don’t think that racial abuse is that serious an offence so they are happy to forgive it easily.
Eggski
Fresh Alias

Post by Eggski »

Disappointed when he came, still feel the same. Makes a joke of all Os anti rasism work. Bad signing even he was any good.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Fair point about the different approach to fans dishing out similar abuse tbf. Bans are almost always immediate and lengthy, sometimes people are prosecuted. You don't hear much of them being given the chance to apologise for their "stupid mistake" etc.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

I’m pretty sure the club banned someone in the West Stand the other season for racially abusing a Col Utd player but lifted that after just a couple of days.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Rubex Kube wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:55 pm
Rubex Kube wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:29 pm

Game wasn't abandoned & O's fans made a mark. watch riots & relegation to see that
All because the fans sat on the pitch in a dead rubber. Congrats
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Orient on Agyei being targetted by a Reading fan last season just a month before they signed Simpson…

“There is no room for racism in football or society and Leyton Orient has a zero tolerance policy towards all forms of discrimination.”

Laughable
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:18 pm
Rubex Kube wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:55 pm
All because the fans sat on the pitch in a dead rubber. Congrats
Very possibly :D
Ski Sunday
Fresh Alias

Post by Ski Sunday »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:22 pm Orient on Agyei being targetted by a Reading fan last season just a month before they signed Simpson…

“There is no room for racism in football or society and Leyton Orient has a zero tolerance policy towards all forms of discrimination.”

Laughable
:((
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

Seems like a player with some ability. Happy to have him for another year.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:44 pm
gshaw wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:31 pm
It was said somewhere probably a podcast that one of the reasons Kent got onboard with the project was seeing the passion of the fans at that protest so yes it did make a mark and started the recovery from the days of :clown
Of course. Nothing to do with getting the club on the cheap, building them up to eventually make a profit on when he sells up.
That too although there's been plenty of basket cases in recent years for that. Just be glad he decided to pick this particular one to rebuild.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:22 pm Orient on Agyei being targetted by a Reading fan last season just a month before they signed Simpson…

Laughable
But in this case there is always room for forgiveness and a second chance. Sh-t.... I'd hate to be sitting alongside you in a jury room.