Jack Simpson

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Jack Simpson

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

For balance, it sits a bit awkwardly with me but I’m on the fence. I can see why we would sign him and why he deserves a second chance but I also don’t think a non-racist person says something like that to a colleague.

The thing I find weird is the scuffle from some to brush off any valid concerns about the type of person represents our club
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:24 am For balance, it sits a bit awkwardly with me but I’m on the fence. I can see why we would sign him and why he deserves a second chance but I also don’t think a non-racist person says something like that to a colleague.

The thing I find weird is the scuffle from some to brush off any valid concerns about the type of person represents our club
Ahh now your actually saying what you think i meant but didn’t have the guts to say it to me personally, fyi I don’t brush anything off, personally I don’t care if a player is black,white,blue or green as long as they play well for us, I’m just fed up with people talking about someone who’s signed for us and made his apologies more than once so let’s move on and look forward to the next season which will be a tough one.
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

J1MB0B wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:07 am As polarising now as when he first signed.

For a balanced view check the statement made by the Punjabi O’s supporters club.
Yes but biggs rich tea & revs are the big ole racist pointers who aren't interested in 2nd chances
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:24 am For balance, it sits a bit awkwardly with me but I’m on the fence. I can see why we would sign him and why he deserves a second chance but I also don’t think a non-racist person says something like that to a colleague.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... race-storm

Obviously the climate has changed a lot in the 13 year since, but I think the line

'But listening to him talk for more than an hour it is also clear that there needs to be a distinction drawn between someone that uses a racist term on a one-off occasion and instantly regrets their comments, and someone that is a racist. "But you can't get that through to some people," he says.'

Seems like a good description of where I've ended up with it. Can definitely understand why for some its something they can't get past, but at the same time, taking the view that he can't redeem himself doesn't seem consistent with the clubs past of signing players who've done morally sh*tty things and who have them gone on to show capacity for remorse/growth.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

J1MB0B wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:07 am As polarising now as when he first signed.

For a balanced view check the statement made by the Punjabi O’s supporters club.
Does their opinion count more than anyone elses?
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:49 am

Probably
North Stand Dave
Fresh Alias

Post by North Stand Dave »

Great signing....
If the board & other players are happy then I'm happy & no matter if people on here aren't happy...Though

The same thread when Simpson came to us on loan didn't have any impact then & it won't now.

Who's next to sign that's all that matters.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:12 am
Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:52 pm
Personally I think we want a better than a ten a penny northern hard man. Just my opinion, I think Happe is our best centre half who under normal circumstances would attract interest from bigger teams.
Simpson is a lot more than a 10 penny hard man. He's the best CB we have on the ball.

Happe should be our best CB but isn't. He's just too nice. He could do with a dose of the attitude the likes of Beckles, Cooper and even Mitchell had.
I don't get the love in with Simpson. On the ball anyone playing alongside Beckles is going to look like Franz Beckenbauer in comparison. Not sure I've seen him knock long balls of the calibre I've seen from Happe. Defensively we went 5 matches without conceding just before Happe got injured. We conceded 7 goals in the 4 matches Simpson started.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Rubex Kube wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:59 am

Probably
Why?
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Agree. I haven’t seen enough to get excited about him yet. Time will tell.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:17 am
Personally I think we want a better than a ten a penny northern hard man. Just my opinion, I think Happe is our best centre half who under normal circumstances would attract interest from bigger teams.
Simpson is a lot more than a 10 penny hard man. He's the best CB we have on the ball.

Happe should be our best CB but isn't. He's just too nice. He could do with a dose of the attitude the likes of Beckles, Cooper and even Mitchell had.
I don't get the love in with Simpson. On the ball anyone playing alongside Beckles is going to look like Franz Beckenbauer in comparison. Not sure I've seen him knock long balls of the calibre I've seen from Happe. Defensively we went 5 matches without conceding just before Happe got injured. We conceded 7 goals in the 4 matches Simpson started.
Happe's blasteroonie diags are great. Well, the 1 in 10 that doesn't go out of play is.

There's no love in here. I agree with your concerns over his defending. For a 'big northern lump', he got outmuscled too many times to be certain just yet, but that could well be due to fitness and match sharpness.

But on the ball, his first touch and short interchanges - the way we actually play - are way ahead of any of our other CBs.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:17 am

It's a limited number of games to base it on but his passing definitely looked a class above Happe's. He was playing out 60 yard passes to the wings like it was nothing. And even if he's not where Happe is as an out and out defender, having two left footed centre backs comfortable with the ball to complement the more physical Beckles/Cooper option seems like a well balanced set of options for that position.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Monkey Boy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:39 am

Ahh now your actually saying what you think i meant but didn’t have the guts to say it to me personally, fyi I don’t brush anything off, personally I don’t care if a player is black,white,blue or green as long as they play well for us, I’m just fed up with people talking about someone who’s signed for us and made his apologies more than once so let’s move on and look forward to the next season which will be a tough one.
That’s not what I meant. I’ve already said what I meant but I’ll say it one more time to save your eyes - saying “he’s signed now,
If you don’t like it then boycott supporting orient” is a ridiculous way to shut down a valid debate.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Rubex Kube wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:46 am

Yes but biggs rich tea & revs are the big ole racist pointers who aren't interested in 2nd chances
I am in a certain context. If this was a historic tweet from when he was young, then yes. Not as a grown man.

On top of that, what are Orient getting out of it? He signed a 1 year deal. Orient gave him a chance to get back into football and continue his career but he showed bare minimum commitment.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Loyal_Supporter wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:20 am
BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:51 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:46 pm

BiggsyMalone , the messageboard saint 😇. Look , we’ve already spoken about this at length on the other thread . Pratley and Beckes know a lot more about this than we do and they have both accepted it . I trust their judgment so if they are OK with it then so am I. Anyway I’m very pleased Simpson has signed for us again . From what I saw of him last season he’s a very good player.
I’m glad the 2 black blokes in the squad have no issue with someone saying the P word, moving to a club in the heart of a largely populated muslim community.

I agree he’s shown he’s a good player for Orient. Doesn’t stop me thinking he’s a fanny.
Owners also consulted the Punjabi O's fan group who were all for giving him a chance...
Did they? Their statement makes it clear the proactivity from the club to consult them and set up a face to face meeting with him (can’t find evidence that happened) played a huge part in it.
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Post by one o in huntingdon »

Glad we didn't knock Ricky Otto back because he had been in the nick more than once.
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:20 am
Rubex Kube wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:59 am

Probably
Why?
Part of the Punjab is in Pakistan perhaps?
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:41 am

I am in a certain context. If this was a historic tweet from when he was young, then yes. Not as a grown man.

On top of that, what are Orient getting out of it? He signed a 1 year deal. Orient gave him a chance to get back into football and continue his career but he showed bare minimum commitment.
He signed the deal he was offered.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:36 am
Monkey Boy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:39 am

That’s not what I meant. I’ve already said what I meant but I’ll say it one more time to save your eyes - saying “he’s signed now,
If you don’t like it then boycott supporting orient” is a ridiculous way to shut down a valid debate.
A debate that goes on and on and on. I’m not shutting down anything ,im suggesting . Like I said and I’ll say it one more time for you, if people disagree with this signing then have the courage of your conviction and don’t go or don’t go when he’s playing. I wonder how people who on here would not jump out of there seat or celebrate if he was to score. I have better things to do than argue with someone who isn’t forthright or backtracks on things that there implying like yourself.
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

I’m sure everyone on this board has said something on the spur of the moment that they have regretted.
Are the board racist because he’s been given a chance to redeem himself?
The guy looks a decent player why not give him the benefit of the doubt.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

How do you know we offered him more than 1 year?
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Proposition Joe wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:16 pm

How do you know we offered him more than 1 year?
It goes against everything Travis and Ling have said about new contracts
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

While that may be the case, we must assume you don't then.
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

He seems an okay player, especially in terms of touch with the football etc.

I'm in the camp wherein I don't like what he did, but he Does need to earn a living.
He Shouldn't be ostracised from society as some seem to be suggesting. Life is after all an education, and that applies to him too of course - he hasn't killed anyone.

However 'although' he's apologised - what Else was he gonna do other than apologise?
Shout "I don't care and I hate Asians"- I don't think so. On that basis, it's hard to guage whether such an apology is sincere, or not....

So I'll "accept" him playing for LOFC, but mainly on the pretext I have no choice or say in the matter anyway.

Based on Orient's well-earnt reputation though as a club which is the anti-thesis of the comments made by Simpson and one of inclusivity, I just wish he'd signed for someone else. Perhaps a Millwall or similar would have taken him and that would have been a better "fit", for sure.

It also leads me to think whether those backing him (Simpson) and saying it doesn't matter as he's said sorry etc would take the same view were he an Asian player who had abused a White player and was now coming to LOFC.
We can only wonder..
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

cockhat wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:14 pm I’m sure everyone on this board has said something on the spur of the moment that they have regretted.
Are the board racist because he’s been given a chance to redeem himself?
The guy looks a decent player why not give him the benefit of the doubt.
Yeah, offering to meet someone for a fight from a forum. Not calling a man a “dirty p***”