Eurovision watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Re: Eurovision watch

Post by CEB »

lol
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:34 pm Wouldn't surprise me if it's already decided that Israel will win this.
It's always been a fix, and this time round will be no difference.
I stopped watching this 30 odd years ago
Blimey, I love a good conspiracy but this one passed even me by.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Croatia are odds on favourites 🤔
E10EU
Fresh Alias

Post by E10EU »

I remember watching Eurovision in the days when Sandie Shaw and Lulu were representing the UK. It was light entertainment. I guess there was always an element of nations' votes indicating allegions but in those early days the nations were not at war with each other.
Since the early days of this contest Europe's number of nations has increased (Yugoslavia becoming several independent states, as did numerous others on the demise of the Soviet Union). But countries like Australia, Israel and others have never been part of the geographical or political Europe. Seems that including them in the Eurovision circus is mainly about creating jolly, spectacular TV and viewing figures.
Now they have the problem that the political reality is not jolly. Russia was excluded in response to their invasion of Ukraine.
Yet the organisers seem to be going to great length to pretend that the Gaza atrocity is not happening. Protests and open criticism is forbidden, expressions of solidarity with Palestine not allowed (scarves with black & white houndstooth pattern are forbidden). I read that technical arrangements are in place to ensure that any booing in response to Israel's entry will not be transmitted on TV. Quite incredible, given that Netanyahu has just told the world that nothing and nobody will deter him from destroying Gaza.

Wikipedia describes the woman representing Israel as 'Russian Israeli', her mother as Ukrainian Jew and her father as Latvian Jew. Talk about complexity! Latvia is in the EU, Ukraine is desperate to join the EU and Russia wants to destroy the EU.
Last edited by E10EU on Sat May 11, 2024 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

E10EU wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:27 am I remember watching Eurovision when Sandie Shaw and Lulu were representing the UK. It was light entertainment. I guess there was always an element of nations' votes indicating allegions but in those early days the nations were not at war with each other.
Since the early days of this contest Europe's number of nations has increased (Yugoslavia becoming several independent states, as did numerous others on the demise of the Soviet Union). But countries like Australia, Israel and others have never been part of the geographical or political Europe. Seems that including them in the Eurovision circus is mainly about creating jolly, spectacular TV and viewing figures.
Now they have the problem that the political reality is not jolly. Russia was excluded in response to their invasion of Ukraine.
Yet the organisers seem to be going to great length to pretend that the Gaza atrocity is not happening. Protests and open criticism is forbidden, expressions of solidarity with Palestine not allowed (scarves with black & white houndstooth pattern are forbidden). I read that technical arrangements are in place to ensure that any booing in response to Israel's entry will not be transmitted on TV. Quite incredible, given that Netanyahu has just told the world that nothing and nobody will deter him from destroying Gaza.

Wikipedia describes the woman representing Israel as 'Russian Israeli', her mother as Ukrainian Jew and her father as Latvian Jew. Talk about complexity! Latvia is in the EU, Ukraine is desperate to join the EU and Russia wants to destroy the EU.
If I was a betting man I'd put a week's wages on the young isreali girl getting booed . The organisers obviously think that's going to happen so will be on the front foot with the editing .
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Russia was excluded in response to their invasion of Ukraine.
Yet the organisers seem to be going to great length to pretend that the Gaza atrocity is not happening.
Some are going to great length to pretend the October terror attacks didn't happen.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Long slender neck wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:14 am
Yet the organisers seem to be going to great length to pretend that the Gaza atrocity is not happening.
Some are going to great length to pretend the October terror attacks didn't happen.
They occasionally throw in a token "what Hamas did on October 7th was bad, but..." gesture. And then proceed to do their thing.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

I’m looking forward to it all tonight.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:34 pm Wouldn't surprise me if it's already decided that Israel will win this.
It's always been a fix, and this time round will be no difference.
I stopped watching this 30 odd years ago
I hope not, who do you think is responsible if it is fixed?

My other half’s enjoys it and her country has a good chance this year so I hope it isn’t rigged
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Long slender neck wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:14 am
Some are going to great length to ignore anything that happened before the terror attacks on 7th October.

They occasionally throw in a token "what Israel have been doing the past 70 years isn’t great, but..." gesture. And then proceed to do their thing.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Have we just arrived at the point in proceedings when everyone cherry picks their preferred start date in global events to justify their current middle east take?
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Yes, 7th October.
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

Seems to me that contestants simply try to out-weird each other nowadays and it's all become a bit boring.
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

It's rare that you ever hear a song on this show that you would wish to ever hear again. Last time for me was probably Puppet On A String. I was only 7 at the time of course
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Nah, I have to disagree. You're not going to anything too cerebral, profound or innovative, but there's always a decent selection of decent, surface-level pop. And the quirky, weird stuff has always been there and is part of what makes it fun. That, and the political voting.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Just seen ollys performance in the semi. Blimey.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Heh. He'll need the performance to grab voter's attention, as the song just isn't strong enough on its own. Thought he's channeling the ghost of George Michael's "Outside" slightly with the set design.

He can probably rule out the Eastern European Catholic and orthodox vote though.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Apparently the Dutch have been banned from rehearsals because of an incident . Rumours have it its to do with the Israeli contestants . It's been reported again about protest's by thousands of people outside the Israeli singers hotel , isn't Eurovision marvellous how it brings people together ......NOT !! . irelands demonic entry should fit right in with that show . Considering how political and poisonous that show has become , isn't it time to scrap Eurovision and consign it to the dustbin of history . It was fun years ago but I suppose nothing last's forever .
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

Lol at “demonic”
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Drag queen cancels Eurovision night in Dalston in protest at Israel’s inclusion

Take that Bibi :x

https://metro.co.uk/2024/05/07/im-losin ... 90444/amp/
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

He “discovered” Eurovision in 2014. Grateful to him for his discovery, it’s a great little hidden gem
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

UK entry Olly Alexander dealt “Crushing blow” by Queers for Palestine

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity- ... aking-news
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

CEB wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:19 am Lol at “demonic”
That's how it was described on TV. I've seen a photo of them and you just think WTF .
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

Dunners wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:11 am Have we just arrived at the point in proceedings when everyone cherry picks their preferred start date in global events to justify their current middle east take?
Look no further than here
https://www.1of200.nz/articles/a-loyal- ... s-conflict
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:37 am UK entry Olly Alexander dealt “Crushing blow” by Queers for Palestine

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity- ... aking-news
The problem is who would care or even notice if he pulled out . He's virtually guaranteed to come last anyway or right near the bottom . Actually , come to think about it after what he said about this country's flag maybe he should pull out and bugger off .