Congratulations to

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Congratulations to

Post by Top of the JES »

My local club Braintree Town, Promoted to the national league via NL South play offs. Small club continuing to punch above thier weight 👏
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Congratulations to

Post by Hoover Attack »

Well done the (good) Iron.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Might actually get down there for the bigger teams next year. Not been but it’s only up the road
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Wasn’t the last game they played at that level against us?
Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient Punxx »

Yes
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Top of the JES wrote: ↑Mon May 06, 2024 10:17 pm

Going to take a massive effort to keep the management team because they will have the smallest budget in the league next season and will be in demand at bigger clubs. also Braintree can’t afford to put players on meaningful contracts so keeping the squad together will be very difficult.

If the management team and most of the squad stay they have a chance of staying up But it will be tough. That said they are a very gritty and determined team and had to come through three lots of extra time and won away at two really good sides in the play-offs.

In two seasons the manager has taken them to the play offs in year one and promoted via the play offs in year two with virtually two completely different squads. Other bigger clubs will have noted what’s happened, all this on one of the smallest budgets in NLS.
Last edited by Top of the JES on Tue May 07, 2024 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

He’s doing a great job but he’s had 2 seasons at this level. He won’t be going anywhere.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Top of the JES wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:17 pm
Going to take a massive effort to keep the management team because they will have the smallest budget in the league next season and will be in demand at bigger clubs. also Braintree can’t afford to put players on meaningful contracts so keeping the squad together will be very difficult.

If the management team and most of the squad stay they have a chance of staying up But it will be tough. That said they are a very gritty and determined team and had to come through three lots of extra time and won away at two really good sides in the play-offs.

In two seasons the manager has taken them to the play offs in year one and promoted via the play offs in year two with virtually two completely different squads. Other bigger clubs will have noted what’s happened, all this on one of the smallest budgets in NLS.
I'm not sure where your information about budget size is coming from.

They have some very wealthy backers (some of whom are in the playing squad!)
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

You've heard how much Sears is rumoured to be on per week?
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:49 am
Top of the JES wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:17 pm

I'm not sure where your information about budget size is coming from.

They have some very wealthy backers (some of whom are in the playing squad!)
Wealthy backers - do me a favour. They are sponsored by the Rare Breed Meat Company (not a national name by any means). The chairman has kept the club going through successful business interests but apart from one other director he has solely funded the club for years. Sears is there until the end of the season helping out the manager and assistant manager who are his friends from Southend and Colchester playing days. The club is so wealthy it has only part filled the bench in most games this season because of the small squad size - a third of who have been loaned in from lower league or National league clubs.

So as not to make yourself look even sillier PM me the names of these wealthy backers and squad members and how much you think Sears is on - I won't share that info on here. I know a few people at the club (there are only a few) I talk to one of them three or four times a week so I will ask the question - even though I know the answer. - Not expecting a reply from you but lets see if you can back it up.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Not a national name but we’re talking generational family wealth.

The Sears number being bandied about on the terraces is staggering (to such an extent, I didn’t believe it). But being so in the know, I look forward to you confirming what it is.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

All I know about Braintree is from our visit there when it seemed pretty tinpot. Didn't they only bring about 20 fans for the reverse fixture, even though it was quite a big local game for them?
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:23 pm Not a national name but we’re talking generational family wealth.

The Sears number being bandied about on the terraces is staggering (to such an extent, I didn’t believe it). But being so in the know, I look forward to you confirming what it is.
Send me your PM with the numbers and I will ask one of the guys at the club.

The Blackwell family who own TRBMC are not particularly wealthy and own a farm and processing plant at Coggeshall near Braintree their sponsorship covers mainly the ground naming. the club is bankrolled by the chairman and is not awash with money as Oyinbo says the ground is basic but better than some in that league. What terraces did you hear the Sears "rumour" on. Never once occurred to me that you follow non league football let alone know anything about Braintree Town.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

OyinbO wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:33 pm All I know about Braintree is from our visit there when it seemed pretty tinpot. Didn't they only bring about 20 fans for the reverse fixture, even though it was quite a big local game for them?
It was probably about a 100 but a lot of those in fancy dress they had a good time and it literally was thier big day out.

The groundsman there is a lawn doctor franchise but TBF he had really improved the pitch - one end of the ground is called the quag end, when I first went there the pitch was like a bog so it’s improved quite a bit, they had to sell some land to the council to improve the ground got the National League last time they were up there.

Not sure why Hoover made up this crap about wealthy backers and Sears wages, they have barely got a pot to pee in. Guess he’s just attention seeking again.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Top of the JES wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:54 pm

The Blackwell family who own TRBMC are not particularly wealthy
😂
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Top of the JES wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:34 pm
OyinbO wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:33 pm All I know about Braintree is from our visit there when it seemed pretty tinpot. Didn't they only bring about 20 fans for the reverse fixture, even though it was quite a big local game for them?
It was probably about a 100 but a lot of those in fancy dress they had a good time and it literally was thier big day out.

The groundsman there is a lawn doctor franchise but TBF he had really improved the pitch - one end of the ground is called the quag end, when I first went there the pitch was like a bog so it’s improved quite a bit, they had to sell some land to the council to improve the ground got the National League last time they were up there.

Not sure why Hoover made up this crap about wealthy backers and Sears wages, they have barely got a pot to pee in. Guess he’s just attention seeking again.
I’m really not claiming to be in the know at all.

Ive merely stated I heard sears was earning silly money and that I’m aware of wealthy Coggeshall families. That’s all mate. Calm down fella.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

A couple of fellas having a row online about how much money the fellas who own Braintree Town FC have is exactly the kind of off season entertainment we love!
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

The Reverend wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:09 pm A couple of fellas having a row online about how much money the fellas who own Braintree Town FC have is exactly the kind of off season entertainment we love!
Amen to that!
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

And one of them isn’t even trying to have a row, just repeating some gossip heard on the Braintree terraces 😀
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:29 pm And one of them isn’t even trying to have a row, just repeating some gossip heard on the Braintree terraces 😀
The phrase “wealthy Coggeshall families” also made me chuckle. Isn’t there about 23 people living in Coggeshall in total?
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Yes but they're all related. So technically 1 family. That's wealthy.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:40 pm Yes but they're all related. So technically 1 family. That's wealthy.
Interesting that they decided to pour their many millions into Braintree Town rather than their local club Coggeshall Town FC. What’s the story behind that?
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Olly Murs got there first!
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

CLUB UPDATE
Looking forward to the challenges that lie ahead

IRON Manager Angelo Harrop and Chairman Lee Harding met up at the Rare Breed Meat Co Stadium on Thursday evening to discuss the forthcoming National League season. A positive discussion followed with the Club offering Angelo a new improved contract and support for his recommendation to switching from part-time to full time training.
Chairman Lee Harding was pleased with progress made: "With the important support of our sponsors, we are able to reward Angelo with the job security he deserves and to support his suggestion about switching to full time training.
"All of us at the Club realise the challenge that faces us next season, but we do have years of experience at that level and we were, of course, within touching distance of promotion to the Football League as recently as 2016."

SHIRT and stadium sponsors The Rare Breed Meat Co. have kindly agreed to extend their sponsorship of the Club for next season and Harding was delighted: "The support from George and Howard at The Rare Breed Meat Co. really helped the Club last season and will be even more important as we take the step up to the National League and full-time football. It's a real shot in the arm for the Club."

MATCHDAY and season ticket prices were agreed at a board meeting and it was decided to increase prices to give the squad the resources necessary to be competitive at the higher level.
Harding said: "We do realise how tough it is for so many of our community at this time, that's why we have kept our admission prices unchanged for six years, despite inflation.
"But we want to help Angelo build a squad that can be competitive and I do believe that we will once again be one of the best priced at our level, with season tickets offering even better deals!
"We will also be putting a budget in place to improve facilities at the ground while we continue to negotiate with Braintree Council about relocating to a new stadium to match the Club's long term ambitions."

THE Chairman concluded: "Finally, on behalf of the Club, thank you to all our supporters and sponsors for backing the lads through a remarkable 2023/24 campaign and we invite you all to join us on the journey again next season. Enjoy your summer and see you all in July!"
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Fair play to them, they're going to give it a proper go.

I of course look forward to being told that this isn't actually what happened though, by those in the know. ;)