What Do We Say Now...

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

cinnamonuk1971
Fresh Alias

What Do We Say Now...

Post by cinnamonuk1971 »

About 4-4-2 and that RE show "management" acumen...
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: What Do We Say Now...

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

We played 4-3-3 according to someone on here that watched the game.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

heh!
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

yeah it was 4-3-3.

He has kept with it which was a bit stubborn imo BUT he changed it at half-time and was bold with his sub and it paid off.

Not a huge fan of Ross but you have to give him massive credit. Today will hopefully be a big moment in his managerial career and a big learning curve.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Apple Wumble wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:49 pm yeah it was 4-3-3.

He has kept with it which was a bit stubborn imo BUT he changed it at half-time and was bold with his sub and it paid off.

Not a huge fan of Ross but you have to give him massive credit. Today will hopefully be a big moment in his managerial career and a big learning curve.
Absolutely I'll give Ross credit for that . It's given him something to think about for Saturday . If I was him I would start 4-3-3- and see what happens .
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Big boost for everyone
Well Done RE and the players
Great to see that Both strikers are off the mark
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:51 pm

Absolutely I'll give Ross credit for that . It's given him something to think about for Saturday . If I was him I would start 4-3-3- and see what happens .
It'll be interesting. We sort of had to do it and risk them having space and scoring a third, but interestingly, they looked dangerous against just Ling in the first 5 minutes but barely got into our half after that. Attack really was the best form of defence.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Glad he took our advice and ditched the awful wingbacks system. Hope we play 4 at the back from now on.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Key point was ditching the 3-5-2 and going for a system that poses an attacking threat. No way he can go back to the negative style after that second half. Let the flair players attack with a bit of freedom as they've shown they have it in them tonight.
RicketyCricket
Fresh Alias

Post by RicketyCricket »

With Widdowson seemingly injured we may have to wait a little longer to play four at the back, or play Brophy there which I can't see him doing.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:54 pm Glad he took our advice and ditched the awful wingbacks system. Hope we play 4 at the back from now on.
Yes.
He should read this board more often.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

RicketyCricket wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:00 pm With Widdowson seemingly injured we may have to wait a little longer to play four at the back, or play Brophy there which I can't see him doing.
Or move Ling to left back and bring Judd in.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Apple Wumble wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:53 pm

It'll be interesting. We sort of had to do it and risk them having space and scoring a third, but interestingly, they looked dangerous against just Ling in the first 5 minutes but barely got into our half after that. Attack really was the best form of defence.
This.

Ling was left really exposed early on. With a midfield 3 of Brophy, Clay and Wright, Brophy will obviously hold the left but clay and Wright understandably get drawn in to the centre.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

I say you owe me a beer or ten.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

RicketyCricket wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:00 pm With Widdowson seemingly injured we may have to wait a little longer to play four at the back, or play Brophy there which I can't see him doing.
Hopefully just winded or slight concussion and he’ll be ok.

If you went with a more traditional midfield 3, Brophy as an attacking left back could actually work.
RicketyCricket
Fresh Alias

Post by RicketyCricket »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:04 pm

If you went with a more traditional midfield 3, Brophy as an attacking left back could actually work.
Agreed, it would be great to see an attacking Orient team for a change with Angol, Wilkinson and Dennis all starting up front and Brophy attacking from deep. Could even have a midfield three of Clay, Wright and Marsh.

Also think the defender that should be dropped is Coulson, but may be alone in that view.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Said it before, Ross should be judged after a couple of months, maybe 12 games before we decide what to do.
He should be offered the opportunity to sink or swim like any other manager.

Would have said the same if we had lost.

Brilliant result tonight, I'd say the formation change must have taken them by surprise a bit and they didn't know how to deal with it. Now it's in the open so to speak, teams will develop something to counter it, so hopefully Ross can stay a step ahead.

Saturday offers a real opportunity to build upon that. It looked bad at half time, but a win against Crawley would mean the season has started well.

If 12 games go by and he has done well I hope we officially ditch the 'interim' tag.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:02 pm

This.

Ling was left really exposed early on. With a midfield 3 of Brophy, Clay and Wright, Brophy will obviously hold the left but clay and Wright understandably get drawn in to the centre.
That's not the shape we played, though. It was more of a 4231 than a 442. The midfield shape was:

Clay Wright
Brophy
whittle81
Fresh Alias

Post by whittle81 »

Brophy or Judd at left back if Widdowson not fit. Judd has played at left back before, although he could be a bit limited playing their. JMD could return in a midfield 3, if Brophy plays at left back. with Dennis starting out wide.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Red_Army wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:18 pm

This.

That's not the shape we played, though. It was more of a 4231 than a 442. The midfield shape was:

Clay Wright
Brophy
You do know that the formation changes when we have the ball and when we dont.
When we attack it could well be 4 2 4.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

2-0 down at half time and win 2-3. Now that's character!
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Red_Army wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:18 pm

This.

Clay Wright
Brophy
Disagree (Although obviously difficult to tell from the one restricted tv angle).

It was fluid, though. (Totally disorganised for the first 5-10 minutes, mind you).
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

RicketyCricket wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:17 pm
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:04 pm

Agreed, it would be great to see an attacking Orient team for a change with Angol, Wilkinson and Dennis all starting up front and Brophy attacking from deep. Could even have a midfield three of Clay, Wright and Marsh.

Also think the defender that should be dropped is Coulson, but may be alone in that view.
No way should Coulson be the one to make way.

Also interesting that Gorman came on tonight, ahead of Marsh. Not sure what that says about his role here.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Have to start 4-3-3 on Saturday. shame for Happe, or whoever else gets left out, but the old ls system is too negative, and we have to have a goal threat
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

It is the start of the season and the league is tight with so few games played. Had we lost we would have been 19th and just above the drop zone, because we won we are 9th and two points off the leaders.