Sam Howes

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Sam Howes

Post by The Reverend »

I owe him an apology. He pulled off some very decent saves today. Still think we need a new number 1 but I shall rest the Howlers nickname for the time being, he looked alright today. Credit where it’s due and all that.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Sam Howes

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

The Reverend wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:07 pm I owe him an apology. He pulled off some very decent saves today. Still think we need a new number 1 but I shall rest the Howlers nickname for the time being, he looked alright today. Credit where it’s due and all that.
I've been saying all season there is nothing wrong with him . He's OK . I thought he played very well at Blackpool then he got dropped . However, saying that I think you're right that we need a new number 1.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Nah.

Switched off and nearly let a back pass in first half.

At fault for the goal.

At fault for the far post cross where he took out one of our players.

Spilled one straight forward shot into the danger zone (but did get up and done well with the rebound).

Let’s not get carried away.
Stowaway
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stowaway »

Hoover Attack wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:19 pm Nah.

At fault for the goal.

Spilled one straight forward shot into the danger zone (but did get up and done well with the rebound).

We’re not. But he’s bound to be a bit ring rusty after months on the bench. I thought he played pretty well today, a couple of great saves will do his confidence some good and that’s what he needed.

Still need a new first choice keeper though.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

I thought that Sweeney was more at fault for the goal by not doing enough in stopping the cross, or Happe not winning the header when the cross came in…………Howes did ok and is sure to be a bit rusty having been on the bench for so long.
Brynn has been good for most of the season and would be happy if we kept him but he just needs to cut out the recent errors.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

He’s not rusty, he’s just not a L1 standard keeper.

Glad he got a game today tho, and glad he was part of a win.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:14 pm
The Reverend wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:07 pm I owe him an apology. He pulled off some very decent saves today. Still think we need a new number 1 but I shall rest the Howlers nickname for the time being, he looked alright today. Credit where it’s due and all that.
I've been saying all season there is nothing wrong with him . He's OK . I thought he played very well at Blackpool then he got dropped . However, saying that I think you're right that we need a new number 1.
Bryn got injured very early in the season, Howes came from a National league team with the aim of being given time to train up to this higher level league football but because of Bryns injury was pushed into the team a bit too early. He had a few mediocre games but improved and gave a MOM display at Blackpool then straightaway got unfairly dropped the following week to let a fit again Bryn play, so being on the subs bench all the time, how was he ever supposed to get up to speed to compete for the number one jersey ? Bryn had poor games, especially recently but never got dropped, I suppose the club was worried that if Bryn was left out then Middlesborough would have quickly recalled him.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Howes was only ever here as emergency cover and to give a bit of maturity to the GK group.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Meaningless game and meaningless result really, I’m off to sort my wedding nuptials out for next month. Hope all fellow boarders have nice enjoyable summer.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Hoover Attack wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:06 pm Howes was only ever here as emergency cover and to give a bit of maturity to the GK group.
This - plus he’s a bit of a character around the training ground. I think he probably adds to the squads morale.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

LittleMate wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:29 pm
Hoover Attack wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:06 pm Howes was only ever here as emergency cover and to give a bit of maturity to the GK group.
This - plus he’s a bit of a character around the training ground. I think he probably adds to the squads morale.
Agreed.

He’ll be needed to fulfil the same role again next season, assuming we loan another young keeper on loan.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Fresh Alias

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

Cheshunto wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:31 pm I thought that Sweeney was more at fault for the goal by not doing enough in stopping the cross, or Happe not winning the header when the cross came in…………Howes did ok and is sure to be a bit rusty having been on the bench for so long.
Brynn has been good for most of the season and would be happy if we kept him but he just needs to cut out the recent errors.
Not sure how Happe gets into the frame. Teflon Simpson more at fault, he was right next to the guy who heads it in.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:00 am
Cheshunto wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:31 pm I thought that Sweeney was more at fault for the goal by not doing enough in stopping the cross, or Happe not winning the header when the cross came in…………Howes did ok and is sure to be a bit rusty having been on the bench for so long.
Not sure how Happe gets into the frame. Teflon Simpson more at fault, he was right next to the guy who heads it in.
Ah, my apologies I thought it was Happe, well then Simpson should have done better, he’s a biggish lump and needs to do more.
Back to Howes, well he’ll never be a League One ‘keeper if he doesn’t get match practice and just sits on the bench.
People seem to have different opinions on Brynn too, but I’d be ok with keeping him, but even he’s made a few howlers recently and needs to cut them out.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Its just a good goal. Good movement from the striker and a perfect cross. No one is at fault. No defender is going to win a header against a striker from a standing start against a striker making a run. Howes isn’t going to clatter past 2 players to win the ball in the air either
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Pleased for him to get a game (should've had more in these dead rubber fixtures especially with Brynn being in poor form imo) and made some decent saves yesterday.

He's our player for next year and will most likely be playing the cup games so needs to play to improve. Hopefully a new permanent #1 will come in over summer though.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

I thought it was Happe at the time too, will have to watch back.

Regardless, no idea what the silly star jump thing he did was.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

gshaw wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:54 am
He's our player for next year and will most likely be playing the cup games so needs to play to improve. Hopefully a new permanent #1 will come in over summer though.
If we get a senior no 1, he’s no longer required. The main reason he was brought in was to add some maturity to the GK group.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Hoover Attack wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:39 am
If we get a senior no 1, he’s no longer required. The main reason he was brought in was to add some maturity to the GK group.
''The main reason he was brought in was to add some maturity to the GK group''

How do you know that, never heard that idea mentioned before ?
LeighO
Fresh Alias

Post by LeighO »

Hoover Attack wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:05 am
I thought it was Happe at the time too, will have to watch back.

Regardless, no idea what the silly star jump thing he did was.
The ‘silly star jump thing’ was a preferred technique of goalkeeping legend Peter Schmeichell and his PL level son Kasper. I believe it’s designed to cover as many angles as possible from close range, without over committing in any one direction, it also can put the oncoming forward off when they’re trying to read the keeper’s intentions. Not so silly at all when you think about it.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Sid Bishop wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:15 am

26 year old Sam Howes adding all that maturity and experience. Isn’t it obvious?
Fellowo
Fresh Alias

Post by Fellowo »

Poor fella looked way out of his depth, rooted to his line at every cross or corner, went walkabout a couple of times, which in one instance almost resulted in a goal. Even the Ref didn't buy that he was injured (which he weren't).

Totally get it that the budget wasn't going to get stretched for someone to sit on the bench for the majority of the season, but even keepers need some competition, which unfortunately for Sam, he doesn't even come close to giving.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:41 am

26 year old Sam Howes adding all that maturity and experience. Isn’t it obvious?
26 year old who had played 0 games in the football league when he arrived. Oozing with experience.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:41 am

So where or who ever said that ? I never heard Ling or RW say that !!
Quote ''The main reason he was brought in was to add some maturity to the GK group''
Also WHAT vast experience of playing in the EFL had Sam Howes got, little to none in actual fact !!
Chelmsford Swimmer
Fresh Alias

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

Hoover Attack wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:19 pm Nah.

At fault for the goal.

Once someone has made up their mind up that about a player, it is difficult for them to be objective, you are obviously looking for fault.

The thoughts of a neutral BBC reporter:

The hosts went close to a second late on when Jordan Shipley's shot was parried by Sam Howes but only as far as Udoh, whose effort was kept out by another brilliant save by Howes.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

I think we all agree we need a new number 1 but Howes is OK as back up . Like others have already said our budget won't stretch to two first choice keepers. if we want to bring in the type of quality we need for our outfield positions we can only afford one first choice keeper. Hoover , Howes has been sitting on the bench all season since the Blackpool game so he's bound to be rusty . I know he's not another Peter Shilton but he did OK yesterday however a new number one is required .
Last edited by RedDwarf 1881 on Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.