Social Media Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Social Media Watch

Post by Long slender neck »

Not a day goes by without some idiocy inspired by 'social media'. It is a plague upon the world, except forums like this of course.

Worse, absolute dickheads are in charge of all of them, except forums like this of course.

Full of misinformation (previously known as lies), people looking for attention and conspiracies their widespread use influences everything and its totally addictive.

It makes cretins insanely rich.

Got something to say about social media?
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Re: Social Media Watch

Post by CEB »

This seems a good place to start

search.php?author_id=124&sr=posts
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

I think greyhound is a victim of a more traditional media, such as yahoo news and LBC.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

It's because people are thick. Except most of us, of course.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

The best contributors still live with their Mother, so they do not have to worry about their tea and snacks throughout the day, or still in their Mum’s house , same bedroom, room not decorated since 70’s, same posters on wall Athena iconic image Tennis Player blond scratching her bottom, Suzy Quattro , Bowie, Bay City Rollers and Marc Bolan, bathe only when they are reminded to , Subbuteo Teams gathering dust on a cobwebbed shelves, Airfix Models flying by cotton from ceiling , three old broken TV’s gathering dust, fur filled array of coffee mugs over the floor, bit like myself really ( I didn’t like Bay City Rollers though).
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

I feel like social media has got much worse at doing what it was good at doing, not better.
On almost every platform you have to work against the platform to try to get it to do the thing it was originally set up to do.
Honestly, (and feel free to insert jokes here) but as I’ve got more skilled at art, and more confident in looking for opportunities, social media has made it harder and harder for even the people who actively opt in to see my artwork to see it.
Meanwhile bot accounts, scammers, and people passing off filtered photos as drawings just end up getting all traffic driven to them.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

CEB wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:39 pm I feel like social media has got much worse at doing what it was good at doing, not better.
On almost every platform you have to work against the platform to try to get it to do the thing it was originally set up to do.
Honestly, (and feel free to insert jokes here) but as I’ve got more skilled at art, and more confident in looking for opportunities, social media has made it harder and harder for even the people who actively opt in to see my artwork to see it.
Meanwhile bot accounts, scammers, and people passing off filtered photos as drawings just end up getting all traffic driven to them.
It’s a big complaint amongst the photographers community on insta that a platform intended to share photos on makes it almost impossible to see people’s very good photographs. Basically, unless you do reels you ain’t getting views
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

I’m sure all on here would agree that there are far too many sad cases posing as others. Never happens on here of course….
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

BoniO wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:49 pm I’m sure all on here would agree that there are far too many sad cases posing as others. Never happens on here of course….
Genuinely think you’re giving us all too much credit for being canny enough to maintain multiple aliases. Most I’ve seen aren’t even able to alter their posting style / spelling / grammar to disguise themselves, and you can generally spot multiple aliases a mile off. They’re about as convincing as my sketches of Katy Perry.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Wally Banter wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:43 pm
BoniO wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:49 pm I’m sure all on here would agree that there are far too many sad cases posing as others. Never happens on here of course….
Genuinely think you’re giving us all too much credit for being canny enough to maintain multiple aliases. Most I’ve seen aren’t even able to alter their posting style / spelling / grammar to disguise themselves, and you can generally spot multiple aliases a mile off. They’re about as convincing as my sketches of Katy Perry.
Ha! - 😁 - it’s only a few numpties on here, to be fair, who bother to maintain multiple accounts . It’s always been that way of course. All with the blessing of the mods. I doubt it’ll ever change.
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

Which accounts do you suspect to be multiple aliases, out of curiosity? I can't spot any obvious ones.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Well the accountant known to some on here as “Conkles” has more than his fair share - wonder when he gets any work done tbh 😏
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

Really? Which aliases are him?
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Wally Banter wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:17 pm Really? Which aliases are him?
You’re trying too hard now. Admin could give you a list if you really need to know?
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

Just testing your hypothesis, but if you don't want to stick your neck out and name 'names', fairy nuff.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -instagram

Meta closes another 4800 chinese accounts, suspected of trying to influence elections

Meta will accept paid advertisements on its site to claim the US election in 2020 was rigged or stolen, amplifying the lies of Donald Trump and other Republicans whose claims about election irregularities have been repeatedly debunked

Also allowed a digitally edited video of Biden that claims he is a pedophile.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Long slender neck wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:01 am https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -instagram

Meta closes another 4800 chinese accounts, suspected of trying to influence elections

Meta will accept paid advertisements on its site to claim the US election in 2020 was rigged or stolen, amplifying the lies of Donald Trump and other Republicans whose claims about election irregularities have been repeatedly debunked

Also allowed a digitally edited video of Biden that claims he is a pedophile.
Maybe this is an area you could branch into to cover the annual hosting fees?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient_Man_And_Boy »

Daily Express bot wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:36 pm The best contributors still live with their Mother, so they do not have to worry about their tea and snacks throughout the day, or still in their Mum’s house , same bedroom, room not decorated since 70’s, same posters on wall Athena iconic image Tennis Player blond scratching her bottom, Suzy Quattro , Bowie, Bay City Rollers and Marc Bolan, bathe only when they are reminded to , Subbuteo Teams gathering dust on a cobwebbed shelves, Airfix Models flying by cotton from ceiling , three old broken TV’s gathering dust, fur filled array of coffee mugs over the floor, bit like myself really ( I didn’t like Bay City Rollers though).
And his beloved Geoff Hurst on the wall too so he can walk around saying ‘West Ham Won The World Cup!!!’
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68843985

Absolute wild west

These companies dont vet anything with humans as it'd cost them money.