Tik Tok

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Tik Tok

Post by Friend or faux »

Anyone on here use it? I personally shy away from anything Chinese, except the very odd chow mein. This is not so much a Political decision but one that was reinforced by suspicions aroused by the Covid outbreak. The Chinese treatment of The Uyghurs has also put me off dealing with their products. I am quite partial to a few Orange & Lemon Slices come Christmastide. Imagine my horror when I saw the words Made In China on the box of my supplies bought at the Pound Shop (fortunately no longer trading ).
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Tik Tok

Post by Long slender neck »

I dont use TikTok, I think its designed for doomscrolling.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Good luck avoiding anything connected with China.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

I don’t use any social media but it shows how hard it is to be a disrupter in this industry as the u.s effectively controls the whole eco system.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Friend or faux wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:16 am Anyone on here use it? I personally shy away from anything Chinese, except the very odd chow mein. This is not so much a Political decision but one that was reinforced by suspicions aroused by the Covid outbreak. The Chinese treatment of The Uyghurs has also put me off dealing with their products. I am quite partial to a few Orange & Lemon Slices come Christmastide. Imagine my horror when I saw the words Made In China on the box of my supplies bought at the Pound Shop (fortunately no longer trading ).
Considering how much is now made in China not wanting to deal with any of their products would be difficult
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Beradogs wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:14 am I don’t use any social media but it shows how hard it is to be a disrupter in this industry as the u.s effectively controls the whole eco system.
Their attempt to ban it will fail.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Beradogs wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:14 am I don’t use any social media but it shows how hard it is to be a disrupter in this industry as the u.s effectively controls the whole eco system.
Having learnt to what extent our lives are controlled by US firms and their monopolistic grasp of tech (i.e. AWS, Oracle, MS etc), you soon realise how totally finished the UK and Europe is. Everything is rent extraction for these firms.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Apparently, US businesses make an average of £2,500 profit from each UK family on average.

Companies you would would think are UK owned such Waterstones and Majestic Wine, are US owned.

Blimey even Leyton Orient are US owned.

Perhaps we should get behind people like Barry Hearn who are competing financially on a world stage?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:44 pm Apparently, US businesses make an average of £2,500 profit from each UK family on average.

Companies you would would think are UK owned such Waterstones and Majestic Wine, are US owned.

Perhaps we should get behind people like Barry Hearn who are competing financially on a world stage?
But he's not competing on the world stage. He's selling off what has been a successful UK brand, after which it (and all the profits it generates) will be for the benefit of the Saudis. And once it's gone, it is never coming back.

The best the UK can hope for is the odd UK-based player earning decent prize money, some of which they choose to spend in other UK-based (probably not UK-owned) businesses so that some of it ends up as tax receipts.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Dunners wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:13 pm

But he's not competing on the world stage. He's selling off what has been a successful UK brand, after which it (and all the profits it generates) will be for the benefit of the Saudis. And once it's gone, it is never coming back.

The best the UK can hope for is the odd UK-based player earning decent prize money, some of which they choose to spend in other UK-based (probably not UK-owned) businesses so that some of it ends up as tax receipts.
It's currently all for the benefit of the Hearns, so does it really matter?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:15 pm

Even still, it's an annual UK event that brings thousands of people to Sheffield and generates economic activity and employment for many people. And, while on it's own it may not be the most pressing example of decline, it's all part of an accumulative trend.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:15 pm

Presumably, unlike some US Companies. the Hearns pay tax in the UK.....
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

Then there is Costco. The amount of money the store at Watford takes per week is astronomical, and there are dozens of their stores up and down the country. The one thing l don't know is whether it is run as a British concern or whether the profits go to the USA.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Errrr the USA.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Us Companies pay the salaries of UK workers, but the profits go to the USA.
Many major USA companies do not pay the required tax levies on their UK profits.
Why does the UK Government not put more pressure on the companies?
Presumably because the companies will threaten to shut down/leave and then there will be more UK unemployment.
So we have sold off many of our blue chip companies and as I see it, Brexit isolates us more.

Not a great situation is it? Look at the UK Car industry - do we have a major-producing British-owned manufacturer?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Twitter is owned by an African guy
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Give it to Jabo wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:44 pm Apparently, US businesses make an average of £2,500 profit from each UK family on average.

That’s not what he’s proposing

He (Matchroom) will retain ownership and running of the sport but the headline event has been threatened to move to the Middle East if a larger venue to the crucible is not found by the end of their contracted tenure in 2027.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:57 pm Us Companies pay the salaries of UK workers, but the profits go to the USA.
Many major USA companies do not pay the required tax levies on their UK profits.
Why does the UK Government not put more pressure on the companies?
Presumably because the companies will threaten to shut down/leave and then there will be more UK unemployment.
So we have sold off many of our blue chip companies and as I see it, Brexit isolates us more.

Not a great situation is it? Look at the UK Car industry - do we have a major-producing British-owned manufacturer?
It's worse than you state. Very often inward investors are given govt grants related to employment, rent and rates free premises and the fill the UKco with debt and licensing arrangements for use of trade marks, trade secrets, manufacturing processes etc which strips out profit. Any profit left is paid by way of dividend to Luxembourg or Netherlands holding company.

Once the grants and rent free period ends they up stakes to some other location offering freebies.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:10 pm

He (Matchroom) will retain ownership and running of the sport but the headline event has been threatened to move to the Middle East if a larger venue to the crucible is not found by the end of their contracted tenure in 2027.
Ah, I see. Is he doing a "move Orient to Harlow" style threat?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Dunners wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:24 pm
Currywurst and Chips wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:10 pm

Ah, I see. Is he doing a "move Orient to Harlow" style threat?
Kind of, I’m not sure how much is leverage and how much he wants the money though.

I also fail to see the attraction to Saudis as nobody cares about snooker other than UK and niche parts of China/Commonwealth. Therefore crowds would be woeful
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Would be a nice fit with the Saudi sportswashing agenda