Barnsley sack manager

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Barnsley sack manager

Post by moonwalk19 »

Barnsley have sacked their manager. I would think that RW must be a strong contender to replace him. Based on his criticism of some players after Saturdays performance and the clubs failure to match his ambitions it would not surprise me if he was offered the job.. Being close to home and the size of the club he would take it. Don’t forget he has not yet signed a new extension to his contract.The signs are all there he will leave us soon
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Barnsley sack manager

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Ok cheers for that info
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

moonwalk19 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:54 pm Barnsley have sacked their manager. I would think that RW must be a strong contender to replace him. Based on his criticism of some players after Saturdays performance and the clubs failure to match his ambitions it would not surprise me if he was offered the job.. Being close to home and the size of the club he would take it. Don’t forget he has not yet signed a new extension to his contract.The signs are all there he will leave us soon
Not even mentioned by anyone at Barnesly. They have others in mind.
aylesburyos
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by aylesburyos »

Michael Duff & Hegginbottom mentioned.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

moonwalk19 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:54 pm Barnsley have sacked their manager. I would think that RW must be a strong contender to replace him. Based on his criticism of some players after Saturdays performance and the clubs failure to match his ambitions it would not surprise me if he was offered the job.. Being close to home and the size of the club he would take it. Don’t forget he has not yet signed a new extension to his contract.The signs are all there he will leave us soon
You talk like players at other clubs never get any criticism. As for the new contract, didn’t Evan’s just sign a new contract at Stevenage but still walked out to join Rotherham . ?
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

aylesburyos wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:20 pm Michael Duff & Hegginbottom mentioned.
Yup fans want Duff back.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Tiresome.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

This is what makes the close season so boring. Uninformed numpties putting 1+1 together and getting 3.

Isn't this the bloke who said we were signing Dane Scarlett on loan last season.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

moonwalk19 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:54 pm Based on his criticism of some players after Saturdays performance and the clubs failure to match his ambitions it would not surprise me if he was offered the job.
How do you link Richie criticising some of our players and Barnsley offering him a job?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Bye Richie, cheers.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:44 am Bye Richie, cheers.
Controversial,be prepared for some abuse 🤐 naughty boy
Lifelongfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Lifelongfan »

Duff, Ismael mentioned. Would cost nothing unlike Richie plus managed in the Championship. Richie going nowhere
Last edited by Lifelongfan on Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Lifelongfan wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:13 am Duff Ismael mentioned. Would cost nothing unlike Richie plus managed in the Championship. Richie going nowhere
He must be going on holiday surely?
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

A penneths worth:

Barnsley sacked their manager because they need a boost before the play off's. Their replacement should be in place for the weekend. They cannot afford a delay. There is no way Orient would move so quickly unless offered premiership money.

There are also 2 big assumptions. Barnsley want Ritchie and Ritchie wants to go there. By the looks of it Barnsley have an "A" list thats a couple of names. Ritchie would be on a larger "B" list of desirables. Ritchie's A list right now is the house he's hunting for down here for his family and his B list is the players he wants us to get this summer. Unless he's getting a call from Barnsley he's not thinking Barnsley.
Last edited by LittleMate on Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eggski
Fresh Alias

Post by Eggski »

Richie loves a Barnsley Chop n Chips. Hopefully his not tempted....
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

LittleMate wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:52 pm A penneths worth:

Barnsley sacked their manager because they need a boost before the play off's. Their replacement should be in place for the weekend. They cannot afford a delay. There is no way Orient would move so quickly unless offered premiership money.

There are also 2 big assumptions. Barnsley want Ritchie and Ritchie wants to go there. By the looks of it Barnsley have an "A" list thats a couple of names. Ritchie would be on a larger "B" list of desirables. Ritchie's A list right now is the house he's hunting for down here for his family and his B list is the players he wants us to get this summer. Unless he's getting a call from Barnsley he's now thinking Barnsley.
What?
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Proposition Joe wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:00 pm
LittleMate wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:52 pm A penneths worth:

There are also 2 big assumptions. Barnsley want Ritchie and Ritchie wants to go there. By the looks of it Barnsley have an "A" list thats a couple of names. Ritchie would be on a larger "B" list of desirables. Ritchie's A list right now is the house he's hunting for down here for his family and his B list is the players he wants us to get this summer. Unless he's getting a call from Barnsley he's not thinking Barnsley.
What?
Should have read NOT. Soz
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

A lot of assumptions there without doubt.

The word I heard some time back was that RW "had to" come South (for the Orient job) as he made such a mess of Doncaster (by bringing in sub-standard players on inflated wages) that his name was not well regarded in the North at all.
That, and there were no little difficulties around his handling of "things" and perceived arrogance.

Granted- his star has risen since and rightly so, but I think to assume that Barnsley definitely want him (we sit 11th with a "top 10 budget", though how that is worked out is a moot point too), and to assume he would go because it's up North is nothing more than guess-work for sure..

He's not under huge pressure at Orient. Most of the fans would have been happy to avoid relegation this season or finish halfway up. That would not be the case at Barnsley.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

I agree it's by no means a certainty that Barnsley are considering Richie for the managers job, I'll still feel a little happier when they've appointed their manager, and it's not Richie
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Scuba Diver wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:55 pm

The word I heard some time back was that RW "had to" come South (for the Orient job) as he made such a mess of Doncaster (by bringing in sub-standard players on inflated wages) that his name was not well regarded in the North at all.
That, and there were no little difficulties around his handling of "things" and perceived arrogance.

Granted- his star has risen since and rightly so, but I think to assume that Barnsley definitely want him (we sit 11th with a "top 10 budget", though how that is worked out is a moot point too), and to assume he would go because it's up North is nothing more than guess-work for sure..

He's not under huge pressure at Orient. Most of the fans would have been happy to avoid relegation this season or finish halfway up. That would not be the case at Barnsley.
Good post.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Scuba with respect that's not the story. RW was interviewed and on our short list when Jackett was appointed. But being an ex Donny player he was tempted back there (he's alluded to this since saying he let his heart rule his head) Doncaster were all over the place financially and RW was on a loser really before he accepted the job rather than bringing in the signings he wanted he was stuck with players he didn't want who were on contract and happy to carry on picking up inflated wage packets without contributing much.

This quote was from the Yorkshire Posts football correspondent when he was sacked.

" In many respects it was the impossible job. Richie Wellens was brought in to recreate the style and success of the glory years under Sean O'Driscoll with a much smaller budget.

Rovers hierarchy made no secret of their financial issues in a post-Covid era, but difficulties became all too apparent before a ball was kicked in August.

Trialists were forced to leave because contracts couldn't be finalised, whilst existing Rovers players couldn't or wouldn't move on because of the deals they were on.

"Injuries have also blighted Wellens tenure leading to a distinct lack of potency; it's the main footballing reason they are where they are, with just 11 goals in 19 games. So another long term plan hasn't lasted from one window to the next"
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Scuba Diver wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:55 pm

I find the idea of the north being that singular that there are managers on sh*tlists up there a bit difficult to believe, particularly given how many owners don't actually live where their club is.
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

Top of the JES wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:03 pm Scuba with respect that's not the story. RW was interviewed and on our short list when Jackett was appointed. But being an ex Donny player he was tempted back there (he's alluded to this since saying he let his heart rule his head) Doncaster were all over the place financially and RW was on a loser really before he accepted the job rather than bringing in the signings he wanted he was stuck with players he didn't want who were on contract and happy to carry on picking up inflated wage packets without contributing much.

This quote was from the Yorkshire Posts football correspondent when he was sacked.

" In many respects it was the impossible job. Richie Wellens was brought in to recreate the style and success of the glory years under Sean O'Driscoll with a much smaller budget.

Rovers hierarchy made no secret of their financial issues in a post-Covid era, but difficulties became all too apparent before a ball was kicked in August.

Trialists were forced to leave because contracts couldn't be finalised, whilst existing Rovers players couldn't or wouldn't move on because of the deals they were on.

"Injuries have also blighted Wellens tenure leading to a distinct lack of potency; it's the main footballing reason they are where they are, with just 11 goals in 19 games. So another long term plan hasn't lasted from one window to the next"
Fair do's, JES, and thank you for the detail which for sure carries a lot more weight than what was passed down to me second/third hand.
Thank you