China...A real threat to the World

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: China...A real threat to the World

Post by Long slender neck »

Good news for the planet though no?
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Dunners wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:53 pm
OyinbO wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm
Dunners wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:03 pm Maybe they need some Irish immigrants?

China doesn't do immigration. They seem to prefer genocide.

Anyway - their own population is on course to be roughly half the size it is today by the end of this century.
Those estimates are now accepted as outdated. Based on the UNs revised figures, their population could reduce from 1.4billion to 750million as early as 2050. The last time a human society experienced that level of rapid decline was the Incas.
Accepted by who? The estimate of the decline I shared is already well in excess of what the U.N. themselves have been projecting. I’ve not seen anyone suggest their population will halve in the next 25 years.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:04 pm Good news for the planet though no?
In the long run, although it’s happening too slowly to avert climate change.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

OyinbO wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:29 pm
Dunners wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:53 pm
OyinbO wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm

China doesn't do immigration. They seem to prefer genocide.

Anyway - their own population is on course to be roughly half the size it is today by the end of this century.
Those estimates are now accepted as outdated. Based on the UNs revised figures, their population could reduce from 1.4billion to 750million as early as 2050. The last time a human society experienced that level of rapid decline was the Incas.
Accepted by who? The estimate of the decline I shared is already well in excess of what the U.N. themselves have been projecting. I’ve not seen anyone suggest their population will halve in the next 25 years.
Apologies - "Accepted" was a wrong choice of phrase. Reported and forecast would be more accurate. I'll try and dig out the report I saw which, IIRC, essentially summarised that demographic data out of China was unreliable, they are now issuing 'corrections' which downwardly adjust by the tens of millions (mainly females too), and the trend of these corrections (if to continue and be accurate) indicated that an almost halving of the population could occur at or around 2050.

Here's a recent Reuters article setting out that recent UN predictions are for China's population to shrink by 109milion by 2050, and that the population aged 60 and over reached 296.97 million in 2023, about 21.1% of its total population. Obviously not as dramatic as losing 650million, but still beyond anything experienced in living memory and is going to have massive implications.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/chi ... 024-01-17/
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Dunners wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:20 am I'll try and dig out the report I saw which, IIRC, essentially summarised that demographic data out of China was unreliable, they are now issuing 'corrections' which downwardly adjust by the tens of millions (mainly females too), and the trend of these corrections (if to continue and be accurate) indicated that an almost halving of the population could occur at or around 2050.
Thank you. I'd be very interested to see it.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Blimey. Ireland picking sides against the current US position and backing an totalitarian state with imperial and expansionist intentions.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It even has the potential to cause a bigger ripple than Ted Crilly putting that lampshade on his head. Also, does this end Ireland's claim to neutrality?

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/ ... anned-drug

Swimmers were doped, but got away with it.
ChorizO
Fresh Alias

Post by ChorizO »

Long slender neck wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:35 pm https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/ ... anned-drug

Swimmers were doped, but got away with it.
Who would have thought it!

It is hard to trust any Olympic sports anymore.