Joe Pigott

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BoniO
Regular
Regular

Re: Joe Pigott

Post by BoniO »

My gardener has been an Ipswich season ticket holder for decades, has been a coach at a reasonable level, and talks sensibly and knowledgeably about the game. I chatted to him today and he rates Pigott. He feels he never really had a chance at either Ipswich or Portsmouth because, at Ipswich, he was brought in by Paul Cook and not considered a good fit when McKenna came in. He was loaned out to Portsmouth who soon after got hold of a red hot Dane Scarlett from Tottenham and found himself side-lined again. Thoughts are that with a little nurturing he will be a good player.
He's not a target man but sits a bit behind, a bit like Sheringham, in his words. I look forward to seeing him score a hat-full.
WilliamTell
Fresh Alias

Post by WilliamTell »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:57 am
Frogger wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:15 pm Sorry I can’t get excited about a player who scored 3 goals in two years
That is a concern but like others have said maybe Richie can get him to shine . Having thought about it maybe the club did want McCauley Bonne but we couldn't afford his wages . As always it's down to money and we have to stay within our budget . As far as I'm aware we're now waiting on just two more players , a winger and a CB. Hopefully the CB is Ed Turns on another loan . God knows who our new winger will be .
Three goals in two years for Ipswich but seven for Portsmouth last season and they wanted to sign him.
His father dying and change of manager would not have helped.
Equaliser0
Fresh Alias

Post by Equaliser0 »

BoniO wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:03 pm My gardener has been an Ipswich season ticket holder for decades, has been a coach at a reasonable level, and talks sensibly and knowledgeably about the game. I chatted to him today and he rates Pigott. He feels he never really had a chance at either Ipswich or Portsmouth because, at Ipswich, he was brought in by Paul Cook and not considered a good fit when McKenna came in. He was loaned out to Portsmouth who soon after got hold of a red hot Dane Scarlett from Tottenham and found himself side-lined again. Thoughts are that with a little nurturing he will be a good player.
He's not a target man but sits a bit behind, a bit like Sheringham, in his words. I look forward to seeing him score a hat-full.
Think he might be the new Eoin Doyle for Wellens .
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Equaliser0 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:34 pm Agyei Piggot & uninjured Drinan have the potential for 45 + goals between them
Lot of pressure on Pigott and Agyei to get 22 goals each.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Pigot imo will be ok,the reason why we were so successful last season was the depth of the squad. At this point in time I think we are way short. Also the reason that Bonne is mentioned on here is because he’s available and on a free. We all know he’s not Harry Kane but he’s about the standard that we are able to afford? Somebody on here said he’s the sort of player that Wellens likes and I tend to agree. Personally can’t see him coming here now but it would give us a lot more depth up front if he did. Now does anybody know how much there asking for Harry Maguire?🙊
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:24 pm Pigot imo will be ok,the reason why we were so successful last season was the depth of the squad. At this point in time I think we are way short. Also the reason that Bonne is mentioned on here is because he’s available and on a free. We all know he’s not Harry Kane but he’s about the standard that we are able to afford? Somebody on here said he’s the sort of player that Wellens likes and I tend to agree. Personally can’t see him coming here now but it would give us a lot more depth up front if he did. Now does anybody know how much there asking for Harry Maguire?🙊
Good spot by you to highlight Joe Pigott as a potential signing, e.g you started this thread off ! When I saw the Os video interview of him about signing for the Os, I thought he looked a bit like Matt Harrold !
The Voice of Reason
Fresh Alias

Post by The Voice of Reason »

I guess by comparison people would be happy if we had signed Alfie May, but prior to the previous 2 seasons, when he scored 20 and 23 goals; in the previous 5 seasons he had scored 42 goals in 183 appearances, that is less than 1 goal every 4 games. So presumably if we signed Alfie May 2 years ago people would be equally underwhelmed. I think that Joe Pigott is a good player who could score goals in the right circumstances. All will be revealed, k sera sera.
Equaliser0
Fresh Alias

Post by Equaliser0 »

Proposition Joe wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:20 pm
Equaliser0 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:34 pm Agyei Piggot & uninjured Drinan have the potential for 45 + goals between them
Lot of pressure on Pigott and Agyei to get 22 goals each.
A Fit Drinan scored 16 goals in 2021-2022, your £4.99 would have told you that.
Last edited by Equaliser0 on Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

He had a bad start last season off the back of an injury but he did absolutely sweet FA for the latter part when fit. In L2. And his career stats very much indicate 21/22 to be a significant outlier. Didn't need to pay the highlights tax to see that with my own eyes.
Equaliser0
Fresh Alias

Post by Equaliser0 »

3 times Wellens revealed Drinan broke down with the thigh problem during the season, are you seriously calling Wellens a Liar ?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Bit of a reach. Happy to be corrected but as far as I can recall he played a significant amount since Feb, assume he wasn't broken while playing?
Equaliser0
Fresh Alias

Post by Equaliser0 »

Michael Owen 6 years with the same hamstring Injury, Mark Hughes played with a Broken foot & Bert Trautmann won an F.A Cup with a broken neck. Players still play with Injuries but its better not to. You really are quite a bore arent you.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Since your examples don't draw any comparison with the player under discussion here, can only assume you're just continuing this to be abusive, rather than make any coherent point or argument.
Equaliser0
Fresh Alias

Post by Equaliser0 »

Wellens said 3 times "Aarons broken down with the same problem" , of course it is comparable .
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Equaliser0 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:20 pm Michael Owen 6 years with the same hamstring Injury, Mark Hughes played with a Broken foot & Bert Trautmann won an F.A Cup with a broken neck. Players still play with Injuries but its better not to. You really are quite a bore arent you.
I googled about Mark Hughes playing with a broken foot injury, did not get anything up about that one but I got this.......Mark Hughes played 60mins on broken ankle
May 22, 2005. ''Just heard on the footy show that Mark Hughes played 60 minutes last night with a broken ankle. He is likely to miss the rest of the season but that's pretty impressive'' https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/thre ... le.108119/

Also...... How basic modern sports science would have saved Michael Owen's career.
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/micha ... eer-276187
R.McFadden
Fresh Alias

Post by R.McFadden »

Sid Bishop wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:37 pm
Equaliser0 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:20 pm Michael Owen 6 years with the same hamstring Injury, Mark Hughes played with a Broken foot & Bert Trautmann won an F.A Cup with a broken neck. Players still play with Injuries but its better not to. You really are quite a bore arent you.
I googled about Mark Hughes playing with a broken foot injury, did not get anything up about that one but I got this.......Mark Hughes played 60mins on broken ankle
May 22, 2005. ''Just heard on the footy show that Mark Hughes played 60 minutes last night with a broken ankle. He is likely to miss the rest of the season but that's pretty impressive'' https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/thre ... le.108119/

Also...... How basic modern sports science would have saved Michael Owen's career.
Hardly Basic Modern Sports Science
But Improved modern Sports Science

https://theathletic.com/1728355/2020/04 ... ng-injury/

After 1999, Owen did not possess two sets of fully functioning hamstrings. He would run across a pitch for the rest of his career with three tendons in one of his hamstrings and two in the other. One of the hamstring muscles on his right leg also ruptured before reattaching itself in the wrong position.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

R.McFadden wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:58 pm

Hardly Basic Modern Sports Science
But Improved modern Sports Science

https://theathletic.com/1728355/2020/04 ... ng-injury/

After 1999, Owen did not possess two sets of fully functioning hamstrings. He would run across a pitch for the rest of his career with three tendons in one of his hamstrings and two in the other. One of the hamstring muscles on his right leg also ruptured before reattaching itself in the wrong position.
Owen was amazing before that injury.
Oisin Hardy
Fresh Alias

Post by Oisin Hardy »

:off
Proposition Joe wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:45 pm Since your examples don't draw any comparison with the player under discussion here, can only assume you're just continuing this to be abusive, rather than make any coherent point or argument.
Why haven't you pulled up CEB for doing the same thing on the Trans thread? He's gone full TERF 😂
Equaliser0
Fresh Alias

Post by Equaliser0 »

Oisin Hardy wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:52 pm :off
Proposition Joe wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:45 pm Since your examples don't draw any comparison with the player under discussion here, can only assume you're just continuing this to be abusive, rather than make any coherent point or argument.
Why haven't you pulled up CEB for doing the same thing on the Trans thread? He's gone full TERF 😂
Double Standards ?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Don’t think that’s the same mark hughes
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:00 am

Don’t think that’s the same mark hughes
You are correct !
I looked at the various comments in that link and it seemed like they were talking about an Australian rugby player of the same name who played for the Australian rugby team ''Newcastle knights'' !
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Interesting
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

BoniO wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:03 pm My gardener has been an Ipswich season ticket holder for decades, has been a coach at a reasonable level, and talks sensibly and knowledgeably about the game. I chatted to him today and he rates Pigott. He feels he never really had a chance at either Ipswich or Portsmouth because, at Ipswich, he was brought in by Paul Cook and not considered a good fit when McKenna came in. He was loaned out to Portsmouth who soon after got hold of a red hot Dane Scarlett from Tottenham and found himself side-lined again. Thoughts are that with a little nurturing he will be a good player.
Turns out that your gardener doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about. Tell him to stick to clipping hedges and leave football to the pros.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

I make the gardener right in his assessment. He is better coming deep.

Sadly, the game has moved on from when he earned his first pro contract and he just can't press as is required from your front players these days.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

The Reverend wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:03 pm
Turns out that your gardener doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about. Tell him to stick to clipping hedges and leave football to the pros.
Ha! He's usually pretty good to be fair. The O's do have quite a record of turning players who score goals at all their clubs into no-hopers. I'd still listen to my gardener rather than you to be fair. However, I'd still move Pigott on as it hasn't worked out for him here.