Its the hope that kills you

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

North Stand Loafer
Fresh Alias

Its the hope that kills you

Post by North Stand Loafer »

In some ways I wish we hadn't won today. The glimmer of hope is still alive. Could we just do it? - realistically no but there is still an outside chance of the play offs - its agony.
whittle76
Fresh Alias

Re: Its the hope that kills you

Post by whittle76 »

It certainly isn't agony when we are not expected to get in the play-offs.
I don't care if we don't make that 6th spot. It has been a good season anyway.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

There’s no hope, we’ll finish in 7th, 2-3 points behind Lincoln. It’s the Orient way.
Last edited by Rich Tea Wellin on Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

North Stand Loafer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:52 pm In some ways I wish we hadn't won today. The glimmer of hope is still alive. Could we just do it? - realistically no but there is still an outside chance of the play offs - its agony.
I can honestly say that in every way I'm glad we won today .Its brilliant that we still have a chance of sneaking in to the last play off place . However what's frustrating is we seem to have hit a glass ceiling . We don't seem able to close that five or six point gap . Anyway I'm reminded of that old cliche, "Just take one game at a time and see where we end up" .
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

whittle76 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:56 pm It certainly isn't agony when we are not expected to get in the play-offs.
I don't care if we don't make that 6th spot. It has been a good season anyway.
Absolutely this. At least it would be a stress free end to the season .
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:58 pm There’s no hope, we’ll finish in 7th, 2-3 points behind Lincoln. It’s the Orient way.
Yup it feels like it's destined to come back to that abandoned game. Sporting integrity eh EFL...
Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Post by Friend or faux »

When you sign up to be a Football Supporter, this is what it is all about. People still came to games, even when the Mad Italian was the Main Man!
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Top-ten would be a great achievement. I will be very happy with that.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Does anyone seriously expect a play-off spot?
We’ll finish where we currently are, which in itself is an impressive achievement considering it’s the first season back at this level and a load of key players have been injured for large spells of the season.

The remaining fixtures will be used to see who is going to be here next season for a serious play-off (and possible automatics) push and who should be binned off in the summer. With the likes of Agyei, Graham, Happe and Archibald fit this team has some serious potential.

I hope some of the duds are sent packing (I’m looking at you Piggott) and some of the passengers buck their ideas up (Moncur). Whilst we’re at it, I hope the club rethinks its strategy of paying racists to serve out bans (for being racist).

If those in charge actually appreciate the importance of having some squad depth & not scrimping on transfers then we have something special here. Our season has been torpedoed by injuries and a terrible January transfer window.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Bergen wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:25 pm Top-ten would be a great achievement. I will be very happy with that.
Same here
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

A few good results and we could have a real shot at it.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

With only 7 games left the next two will show us. Lincoln (who have gone nuclear in the last few months) and Peterborough in 4th. Anything but two wins and I think we are done but get those wins and who knows?
soloman
Fresh Alias

Post by soloman »

gshaw wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:11 pm
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:58 pm There’s no hope, we’ll finish in 7th, 2-3 points behind Lincoln. It’s the Orient way.
Yup it feels like it's destined to come back to that abandoned game. Sporting integrity eh EFL...
Don't be so daft ,it's all those other games like Fleetwood and Burton etc that we should have won .
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

It would be nice to finish above Stevenage after being below them all season
Eggski
Fresh Alias

Post by Eggski »

Or not crapping for 2 weeks and you die of blood poisoning. Crap, lift, look , flush
Eggski
Fresh Alias

Post by Eggski »

Great midfield
LPE
Fresh Alias

Post by LPE »

All part of the joy of being a footballer supporter. Regardless of final position it has been a most enjoyable season. It will be more of a ‘what could have been’ if it wasn’t for the horrendous injury list.

But, it’s still possible for now and if by luck, skill or poor / fortuitous reffing Lincoln and Peterborough are beaten then I’ll really believe. We’ll know by 17:00 on Easter Monday for certain.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

soloman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:27 pm
gshaw wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:11 pm
Don't be so daft ,it's all those other games like Fleetwood and Burton etc that we should have won .
Any team that finishes in and around us will have Fleetwood's and Burton's in their locker.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

It's been an amazing season for sure, and I'm happy to think about what might have been but (there's always a but) I don't think we're ready for the next level yet at either a squad or organisational level. If we somehow fluked promotion via the playoffs, for all the excitement, I think we'd get horribly smashed in most games next season and come straight back down. It could set us back years.

I think T&T understand it's an evolution to get there. I'm happy to consolidate in L1 next year, build the team and get all the pieces in place for a proper push when we're ready. Hope that Richie is prepared to stick with us too, but he may want success faster than that.
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

A brilliant season regardless of what happens now, at one point it looked like a relegation battle and Wellens had lost the plot a bit, he had a period where very week the starting team seemed wrong then his subs gave the correct team but he and the team have been brilliant last few months with very few what I would guess people would class a proven League One players.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

o-no wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:13 am It's been an amazing season for sure, and I'm happy to think about what might have been but (there's always a but) I don't think we're ready for the next level yet at either a squad or organisational level. If we somehow fluked promotion via the playoffs, for all the excitement, I think we'd get horribly smashed in most games next season and come straight back down. It could set us back years.

I think T&T understand it's an evolution to get there. I'm happy to consolidate in L1 next year, build the team and get all the pieces in place for a proper push when we're ready. Hope that Richie is prepared to stick with us too, but he may want success faster than that.
You can’t fluke your way to the championship. If we did manage to make it, it would be purely on merit.

Also don’t agree it could set us back years. If we are well run then plenty of teams bounce between league one and the championship and then eventually stick
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

essexfootball wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:04 am at one point it looked like a relegation battle and Wellens had lost the plot a bit, he had a period where very week the starting team seemed wrong then his subs gave the correct team
:lol:

Absolute nonsense. Those that lost faith in Richie after a rough run of results are idiots.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

o-no wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:13 am It's been an amazing season for sure, and I'm happy to think about what might have been but (there's always a but) I don't think we're ready for the next level yet at either a squad or organisational level. If we somehow fluked promotion via the playoffs, for all the excitement, I think we'd get horribly smashed in most games next season and come straight back down. It could set us back years.

Hopefully we can throw a few games to make sure we don't risk the clubs long term future by sneaking into the Championship.
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

Hoover Attack wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:04 am
essexfootball wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:04 am at one point it looked like a relegation battle and Wellens had lost the plot a bit, he had a period where very week the starting team seemed wrong then his subs gave the correct team
:lol:

Absolute nonsense. Those that lost faith in Richie after a rough run of results are idiots.
I don't know about that, before this season Wellens had major question marks over his credibility at this level, many fans of other teams thought that and when it started going downhill, he seemed that maybe it would be going that way again for him
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

I do know about that. It was embarrassing to watch it unfold.