RE says midfielder coming in next week

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: RE says midfielder coming in next week

Post by Long slender neck »

Sid Bishop wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:13 pm
redintheface wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:29 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:42 am

Little to no flair with hardly any players with pace in the midfield and wing areas to run at defences. Things need to change pretty soon if we are to avoid a season of struggling. As to bringing in a ''Midfield player'' well needs to be better than what we already have if he is going to make any impact at all !
Not sure it’s about a lack of pace ( ie foot speed) Sid,to me it’s more around the tempo at which we play and the ball is moved around - appears to be a lack of urgency if you like. Agree 100% that whoever the new boy is, he needs to be capable of starting and not just there to bolster the squad.
When do we ever see midfielders running at the defence and going past opponents, when do we see wingers or wingbacks running at the defence, beating the opposing fullbacks on the outside and then whipping in decent crosses ? Its all such a slow, predictable and plodding tempo. Wingbacks ( ? ) if you can call Ling and Widdowson that, rarely if ever taking their man on, just the predictable check back pass. Brophy with his runs, then rarely an end product. All too slow and predictable, as the saying goes ''No guts, no glory'' We need a bit of the old ''Lazarus'' swagger and gutsy adventurous play. Crowds will not keep coming for the present ''dross'' being served up. So much that is wrong at present, I am sure that if Danny or Jobi was in charge, things would perk up a bit.
Why are you? Dont you realise they are on the coaching team now?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

15 minutes to unveiling according to Orient Twitter
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:35 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:13 pm
redintheface wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:29 pm

Not sure it’s about a lack of pace ( ie foot speed) Sid,to me it’s more around the tempo at which we play and the ball is moved around - appears to be a lack of urgency if you like. Agree 100% that whoever the new boy is, he needs to be capable of starting and not just there to bolster the squad.
When do we ever see midfielders running at the defence and going past opponents, when do we see wingers or wingbacks running at the defence, beating the opposing fullbacks on the outside and then whipping in decent crosses ? Its all such a slow, predictable and plodding tempo. Wingbacks ( ? ) if you can call Ling and Widdowson that, rarely if ever taking their man on, just the predictable check back pass. Brophy with his runs, then rarely an end product. All too slow and predictable, as the saying goes ''No guts, no glory'' We need a bit of the old ''Lazarus'' swagger and gutsy adventurous play. Crowds will not keep coming for the present ''dross'' being served up. So much that is wrong at present, I am sure that if Danny or Jobi was in charge, things would perk up a bit.
Why are you? Dont you realise they are on the coaching team now?
Of course I realise they are ON the coaching team BUT read properly and fully. I did say ''Sure that ''IF'' Danny or Jobi was in ''CHARGE'' things would perk up a bit'' In CHARGE meaning if one of those two were the caretaker ''MANAGER'' rather than Ross, then things might well improve. I am just giving an opinion and because someone happens to be a coach in a football team, does not give them the same status or power as being the manager does it !
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Why are you sure about this?
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:22 am Brophy did use his right a couple of times Saturday and quite well. Just prefers his left

Not too sure who will get dropped for the new saviour
Looking at our new Midfield player, my question about who would be dropped has been answered. The answer, probably no one. Young George is likely to sit on the bench and get a short run out now and then.

Barring injuries and the return of Jobi and Dayton, perhaps Turley too, the current starting 11 will be “it” in league games for the foreseeable future.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

What I'd like to know is who will he replace? Why has no one asked that question?
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

One of the centre backs and then go 442.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Story of O wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:31 pm One of the centre backs and then go 442.
Put Clay on the right wing?
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:11 pm
Story of O wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:31 pm One of the centre backs and then go 442.
Put Clay on the right wing?
Er, no.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:22 pm What I'd like to know is who will he replace? Why has no one asked that question?
Great question. Why has nobody asked this? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:27 pm
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:22 pm What I'd like to know is who will he replace? Why has no one asked that question?
Clay is the obvious candidate.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Disoriented wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:38 pm
Clay if we stay 352. Happe if we go 442. Cant say replacing Clay with a guy with zero games and zero experience excites me and tough on Clay. Huge gamble.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:41 pm

Clay if we stay 352. Happe if we go 442. Cant say replacing Clay with a guy with zero games and zero experience excites me and tough on Clay. Huge gamble.
Doh, please explain to me how we would play a 442 with the only change being Marsh for Happe. I'd love to hear it.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Red_Army wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:51 pm

Doh, please explain to me how we would play a 442 with the only change being Marsh for Happe. I'd love to hear it.

Ling Coulson Ekpiteta Widdowson
Marsh Wright Clay Brophy
Angol Wilkinson
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

To be fair Russell Slade did ok with a lop-sided 4-4-2 for a bit.

If this Marsh guy is as tenacious and hard-working as billed it might not be bad. Almost certainly he will have good technical ability.

Words are cheap though. Dale Gorman was called combative and tenacious by the Stevenage site and he is neither really.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

eagwgw wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:45 pm To be fair Russell Slade did ok with a lop-sided 4-4-2 for a bit.

If this Marsh guy is as tenacious and hard-working as billed it might not be bad. Almost certainly he will have good technical ability.

Words are cheap though. Dale Gorman was called combative and tenacious by the Stevenage site and he is neither really.
TBF, he probably was before Dale broke his ankle and he's not been the same since . I've often wondered if whether Dale is playing with a fear factor that it might happen again and that's why he's been known to bottle tackles . He bottled two last Saturday . If that's the case, he's got to get it out of his head because it's holding him back .I don't know, it's only just a thought.
Last edited by RedDwarf 1881 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:23 pm

Marsh Wright Clay Brophy
Angol Wilkinson
Stick the new kid on the right wing? :lol:
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

eagwgw wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:45 pm To be fair Russell Slade did ok with a lop-sided 4-4-2 for a bit.

I wonder with Gorman if he has mentally recovered from his injury. Physically I'm sure he is 100% but sometimes he seems lacking in the tough tackling department. Maybe I'm doing him an injustice but he seems to me to sometimes avoid the real physical challenges by holding back.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Marsh Wright Clay Brophy
Angol Wilkinson
So whats your solution?
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:53 pm

I wonder with Gorman if he has mentally recovered from his injury. Physically I'm sure he is 100% but sometimes he seems lacking in the tough tackling department. Maybe I'm doing him an injustice but he seems to me to sometimes avoid the real physical challenges by holding back.
See my post above . We're thinking along the same lines .
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:54 pm
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Marsh Wright Clay Brophy
Angol Wilkinson
So whats your solution?
I’ve already said FFS.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:52 pm

TBF, he probably was before Dale broke his ankle and he's not been the same since . I've often wondered if whether Dale is playing with a fear factor that it might happen again and that's why he's been known to bottle tackles . He bottled two last Saturday . If that's the case, he's got to get it out of his head because it's holding him back .I don't know, it's only just a thought.
Don’t think it’s that.

Gormans tackling isn’t his issue, it’s his ball retention and decision making, he’s always trying something too difficult and giving the ball away.

Maybe he’s just not that good which is why perennial L2 strugglers Stevenage let him go?
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:55 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:53 pm

See my post above . We're thinking along the same lines .
It worries me too if Dayton will be the same. Always a risk with players coming back from a serious injury. Some cope better than others. Gorman came with high praise from Jobi, who no doubt understands what makes a decent player. But he has rarely shown what I'm sure he is capable of. Maybe he will come good during the season. Hope so. We will need him as the season progresses.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Marsh Wright Clay Brophy
Angol Wilkinson
Right okay. We'll play him out of position then, ahead of players that actually do play that position. People have been saying we need a new central midfielder, so your solution is to sign one, then keep central midfield the same as it was before and play the new one out of position.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Red_Army wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:30 pm

Marsh Wright Clay Brophy
Angol Wilkinson
Right okay. We'll play him out of position then, ahead of players that actually do play that position. People have been saying we need a new central midfielder, so your solution is to sign one, then keep central midfield the same as it was before and play the new one out of position.
Yawn. :o