Cooking a Jam roly poly

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Cooking a Jam roly poly

Post by Long slender neck »

PastryChwfJames wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:41 pm
CEB wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:41 pm Nobody seems to be answering LSNs actual question - he’s not asking why you’d steam it, he’s asking (if I’ve understood correctly) how the process would be “steaming” if the thing to be cooked is sealed and steam can’t reach it, and why one would bother to steam it rather than cook it without

I think the answer/considerations are
1: that the seal isn’t air tight
Relevant in that in a dry oven the bake would lose moisture - the presence of steam circulating mitigates the loss of moisture
2: (speculating here) the way that steam circulates in an oven is different to the way that air circulates, and maybe has an impact on the cooking process
The fluid (milk) within the Roly Poly mix Inside the paper & foil is why the roly poly is steamed. This is also why the foil is wrapped loosely to allow the steam to gather in a sealed pocket.

A simple experiment
Use a bag of mixed veg split in 2 portions wrapped in foil.Add a table spoon of water in one & none in the other. One will be beautifully steamed one will not.
But the recipe has me put a roasting tin full of boiling water in the bottom of the oven, to steam the sealed pud.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Can you not simply do what you're told ?
PastryChwfJames
Fresh Alias

Post by PastryChwfJames »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:59 pm
CEB wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:41 pm Nobody seems to be answering LSNs actual question - he’s not asking why you’d steam it, he’s asking (if I’ve understood correctly) how the process would be “steaming” if the thing to be cooked is sealed and steam can’t reach it, and why one would bother to steam it rather than cook it without

I think the answer/considerations are
1: that the seal isn’t air tight
Relevant in that in a dry oven the bake would lose moisture - the presence of steam circulating mitigates the loss of moisture
2: (speculating here) the way that steam circulates in an oven is different to the way that air circulates, and maybe has an impact on the cooking process
The fluid (milk) within the Roly Poly mix Inside the paper & foil is why the roly poly is steamed. This is also why the foil is wrapped loosely to allow the steam to gather in a sealed pocket.

A simple experiment
Use a bag of mixed veg split in 2 portions wrapped in foil.Add a table spoon of water in one & none in the other. One will be beautifully steamed one will not.
But the recipe has me put a roasting tin full of boiling water in the bottom of the oven, to steam the sealed pud.
As stated previously it changes the dynamic of the
Heat in the oven to give a softer unique texture to a Roly Poly. Think of it like a Bain Marie if you like. Not direct heat The roasting tin full of water dissipates the heat
differently to direct heat under or around normal oven cooking/hob cooking.
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

This has potential to do Israel/Trans Debate numbers
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

PastryChwfJames wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:09 pm

A simple experiment
Heat in the oven to give a softer unique texture to a Roly Poly. Think of it like a Bain Marie if you like. Not direct heat The roasting tin full of water dissipates the heat
The oven heat is still there though, not like its only heating the water
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

StillSpike wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:02 pm Can you not simply do what you're told ?
Did try this last night actually.

Straight away noticed the oven fan sucking all the steam out, meaning the tin of boiling water was definitely having no impact on poly. Seeing this i decide to put the oven in a different mode where the fan is off. Five minutes later the oven has tripped the electrics. Presumably it had steamed the ovens electronics or something.

With oven out of action I stuck poly in my Ninja speedi on the steambake function. It quickly ran out of water. The result was still good, possibly a little moister than when i cooked it in my fan oven (fan on) a few weeks ago.
PastryChwfJames
Fresh Alias

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:15 pm
PastryChwfJames wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:09 pm
The oven heat is still there though, not like its only heating the water
What happens when you throw water onto sauna
stones ? It instantly boils then turns to steam changing the temperature & making a sauna hotter. A steam Room is very different to a sauna as there is far more water in the enclosed space & creates a cooler temperature.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health ... -vs-sauna/

Here is an article of dry heat v steam Room which may help you get it a little easier
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

But nobody goes into a sauna or steam room wrapped in paper and foil.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Prove it.
PastryChwfJames
Fresh Alias

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:43 pm But nobody goes into a sauna or steam room wrapped in paper and foil.
Nobody needs to. They just need to take an uncooked
jam roly poly with them & see which one tastes better
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

This is honestly my favourite thread in a long long time
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

All that effort to set up an alias account then you f*ck up the spelling. Amateur.
faldO
Fresh Alias

Post by faldO »

StillSpike wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:49 pmProve it.
Is there yeast involved in the making of a jam roly poly? Why would it need proofing? I thought it was just flour and suet and jam.
PastryChwfJames
Fresh Alias

Hoover Attack wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:05 pm All that effort to set up an alias account then you f*ck up the spelling. Amateur.
I'm not a qualified Chef, that's why I used a w instead of an e. Trading standards & all that. I have a sideline on Saturday mornings pretending I'm on itv on a Saturday & Sunday morning.
CEB
Regular
Regular

Post by CEB »

On Saturday mornings you pretend you’re on tv on a Sunday morning?
PastryChwfJames
Fresh Alias

CEB wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:29 pm On Saturday mornings you pretend you’re on tv on a Sunday morning?
Yes,
I invite other amateur celebrity doppelganger chwfs to my house & film all of us cooking & eating different dishes. I put on a thick Yorkshire accent as well.
I Then show it as a repeat on a Sunday morning.

It's our version of historic events re-enactment