Championship football

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Bergen
Regular
Regular

Championship football

Post by Bergen »

I watched the Ipswich - Bristol C game yesterday, and the QPR - WBA game this evening. The idea that we might compete on that level within a few years is pretty frightening. The tempo and the quality is very good.

We have to make sure we are ready for the next level before we even start dreaming of promotion.
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Championship football

Post by Orient_Man_And_Boy »

100%

Talk of promotion is all very fine but we would get slaughtered in C right now.

The effect, I fear, would be to demoralize our younger fan-base and we may lose them … but the revenue they create is critical to the Board’s long term plans.

Better to be patient.
Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient Punxx »

Yes I’d hate to be supporting Luton at the moment. Let’s be patient and enjoy mid table boredom. Yes if all goes to plan the rearranged Tuesday night Exeter game will be so so enjoyable with a crowd of c 3000 enjoying a dead rubber. So important not to get near the play offs. I’d hate to have a crap season following a promotion.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

I bet Wycombe fans really regret their season of adjusting to, and then almost surviving at, the higher level. Must haunt them.
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Post by one o in huntingdon »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:04 am I bet Wycombe fans really regret their season of adjusting to, and then almost surviving at, the higher level. Must haunt them.
No doubt enjoying themselves as much as the Carlisle fans watching a team clearly not ready for promotion.
We are nowhere near ready for promotion, but doing better than our first season after leaving the national League

Some Blades fans were so enthralled they left after 15 minutes against Arsenal and went down the pub to celebrate their good fortune
Last edited by one o in huntingdon on Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Wonder what Richie W thinks about all this?
Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Post by Friend or faux »

Orient Punxx:- Yes I’d hate to be supporting Luton at the moment. Let’s be patient and enjoy mid table boredom. Yes if all goes to plan the rearranged Tuesday night Exeter game will be so so enjoyable with a crowd of c 3000 enjoying a dead rubber. So important not to get near the play offs. I’d hate to have a crap season following a promotion.

Friend or Faux:- I don't recall anyone saying that we should avoid getting near the play-offs. I said in a thread some time ago, that a run in the play-offs would be most advantageous, to fill our coffers a bit more. BUT a over hasty promotion would stuff us. Who could possibly want promotion only to lose nearly every match in a season. Don't deride people by inventing stuff. It's promotion that would stuff us. Not a good attempt at getting promotion.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Learn the quote function, please.
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

I mistakenly thought that the point of sport was to strive to compete at the highest level possible
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

What a lot of old bollocks this thread is. Typical little Leyton Orient
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

I imagine that if we reached the playoffs and then deliberately tanked it because someone thought we weren't ready for promotion, all the posters above would be fully supportive and applaud the decision, right? No? Oh.
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Post by one o in huntingdon »

All academic anyway because we aren't getting into the play off this season
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:20 am Wonder what Richie W thinks about all this?
He probably thinks it's Martin Ling's alias
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Bergen wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:15 pm I watched the Ipswich - Bristol C game yesterday, and the QPR - WBA game this evening. The idea that we might compete on that level within a few years is pretty frightening. The tempo and the quality is very good.

We have to make sure we are ready for the next level before we even start dreaming of promotion.
What a load of old bollocks.
Reflecto
Fresh Alias

Post by Reflecto »

If we made the playoffs and got promoted - we would have a massive influx of TV money and probably additional investors. Our stadium would hold close to 9.5K (if all the adjustments work). We would have a great coaching team, and we already play in a L1 version of higher level football. I reckon we would compete and whilst being in the bottom 6 - could stay up. We are more like Luton and than WW, Burton or Yeovil. Scunthorpe were smaller than us and managed a few seasons!
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Reflecto wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:40 am If we made the playoffs and got promoted - we would have a massive influx of TV money and probably additional investors. Our stadium would hold close to 9.5K (if all the adjustments work). We would have a great coaching team, and we already play in a L1 version of higher level football. I reckon we would compete and whilst being in the bottom 6 - could stay up. We are more like Luton and than WW, Burton or Yeovil. Scunthorpe were smaller than us and managed a few seasons!
Scunthorpe managed three seasons in the Championship and were relegated in two of them
Yanzi Gravy
Fresh Alias

Post by Yanzi Gravy »

OyinbO wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:42 am
Reflecto wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:40 am If we made the playoffs and got promoted - we would have a massive influx of TV money and probably additional investors. Our stadium would hold close to 9.5K (if all the adjustments work). We would have a great coaching team, and we already play in a L1 version of higher level football. I reckon we would compete and whilst being in the bottom 6 - could stay up. We are more like Luton and than WW, Burton or Yeovil. Scunthorpe were smaller than us and managed a few seasons!
Scunthorpe managed three seasons in the Championship and were relegated in two of them

Would be an amazing recovery and achievement from the days under that crazy bloke.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Yanzi Gravy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:55 am
Would be an amazing recovery and achievement from the days under that crazy bloke.
Although his spectre still haunts the corridors of the West Stand, Hearn has been gone 10 years now - we need to move on from that.
Yanzi Gravy
Fresh Alias

Post by Yanzi Gravy »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:57 am
Although his spectre still haunts the corridors of the West Stand, Hearn has been gone 10 years now - we need to move on from that.
I agree, as there is no way around some of Hearn’s legacy.
Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient Punxx »

:lol: 😂
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Yanzi Gravy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:02 am
Totally.

It's taken a lot of £s and a fair few seasons but the damage done by Bechetti & co has been cleared up. We are still living with the carnage caused by the Hearns. :cry:
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Actually a fair point. The legacy of the flats and our stadium ownership arrangement is now much more of a millstone than spunking a load of cash on Darius Henderson and Zan Benedidic was.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Bergen wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:15 pm I watched the Ipswich - Bristol C game yesterday, and the QPR - WBA game this evening. The idea that we might compete on that level within a few years is pretty frightening. The tempo and the quality is very good.

Good question,imo we are on our day one of the best footballing teams in this division,we have a progressively young and good side that could and should get better,but the only problem with that is can we hold on to them?. When we started the season we played with a lot of excrement in our pants for the first 6 games. After we got a bit more confident we adapted and if we purchase in the summer window (sensibly) we could more than hold our own in the Championship
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Yanzi Gravy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:02 am
That spiv knew exactly what he was doing when he bought the club for £1, to me Hearn was far worse than the Italian.
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

It’s thoroughly depressing.
Five year plans are for the boardroom, but on the pitch there should never be any reason for supporters to want anything other than to be as successful as possible in any season, then hope to build on that success the next.

The whole idea of fans actually wanting less success in service of a nebulous long term plan is a bit odd, not least because (despite Orient’s recent success) five year plans are not guaranteed to work