Gas build-up

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

east saxon gas
Fresh Alias

Gas build-up

Post by east saxon gas »

Well, you've gone and derailed what was going to be a meeting of mid-table mediocrity by hitting a bit of a run of form and pulling 8 points away from us

But we've won two of the last four, and you've one three of your last four, and you've played one more game, so the gap isn't that large

If you're interested, we've got 2 goal threats in Martin and Evans (if Evans is fit again), but not much after them. If Wilson and Taylor are fit we might have a bit of a defence, and if Ward is back we might have a bit of a midfield

O's have got to be favourites. Apparently you looked quite good down at our place

Gas v O's is always a favourite match, I think for both clubs
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Gas build-up

Post by Long slender neck »

We've beaten top teams and lost to the likes of Burton. Almost anyone can beat anyone in this league. We hope to continue the excellent form but squad is a bit thin in places.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

There's a difference this season. Orient have a 12th man - the crowd. We are loving it and the performances on the pitch is inspiring the fans off it. We might be a bit thin in squad numbers but the belief is high at the moment. Expect to be both entertained and beaten on Saturday.
burritos
Fresh Alias

Post by burritos »

We’ve been playing well recently but we definitely didn’t look good at your place. The game at the mem was one of the worst I’ve ever seen. Both teams deserved to lose.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

east saxon gas wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:40 pm
Why?

Torquay were the only decent fans on our trips to the SW. All of Plymouth, Rovers and Exeter were equally unwelcoming.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

TBH I thought this thread was about the beans on toast I had the other day🤷‍♀️
east saxon gas
Fresh Alias

Post by east saxon gas »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:56 pm
Why?

Torquay were the only decent fans on our trips to the SW. All of Plymouth, Rovers and Exeter were equally unwelcoming.
I don't know, but I've heard it often enough from both sides. Or maybe it's just my milieu

At a guess, maybe similar histories of being clubs from the eastern/less wealthy sides of our respective cities, combined with successes that are among the less glittering. And it's not a long trip, although it is longer than people think
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

east saxon gas wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:27 pm
Why?

I don't know, but I've heard it often enough from both sides. Or maybe it's just my milieu

At a guess, maybe similar histories of being clubs from the eastern/less wealthy sides of our respective cities, combined with successes that are among the less glittering. And it's not a long trip, although it is longer than people think
Are the Gas bringing their usual big following ??
I recall them bringing around 800 for a midweek game in recent years.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Gas build-up, I find a bit of stretching can help.
east saxon gas
Fresh Alias

Post by east saxon gas »

Cheshunto wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:11 pm
east saxon gas wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:27 pm

Why?

Are the Gas bringing their usual big following ??
I recall them bringing around 800 for a midweek game in recent years.
Yes, I reckon probably so, based on the below...
https://gasheads.proboards.com/thread/2 ... ient-build
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

east saxon gas wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:40 pm Gas v O's is always a favourite match, I think for both clubs
Matt Harrold probably had his best spell while at Rovers (76 games - 24 goals), is he still popular among your supporters?
east saxon gas
Fresh Alias

Post by east saxon gas »

Bergen wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:13 pm
east saxon gas wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:40 pm Gas v O's is always a favourite match, I think for both clubs
Matt Harrold probably had his best spell while at Rovers (76 games - 24 goals), is he still popular among your supporters?
I'm amazed that the figures are that good tbh Bergen. He never lacked effort, but I did think he lacked guile - as a big bloke he was well equipped to win headers, but ended up getting pinged for backing in all the time, and rarely got the benefit of the whistle.

I remembered he celebrated whole-heartedly right in front of us when he scored at Southend - none of your 'not celebrating against a former club' thing for him - which endeared him to me greatly

So I think he's remembered positively, but 'popular' might be a stretch - definitely not a Gas Great

I remember him talking to Rory Gaffney on the sidelines when they were both subs - one or the other had moved on from us. It sort of looked like an inter-club 'ginger off' from a distance
Stowaway
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stowaway »

Why?

Some Rovers fans haven’t been the most welcoming, but I like Bristol as a city, and I’ve always had a good time at games despite not always winning (tho we do have quite a good record there).

Watching Judge Dredd winding a Rovers fan up about his teeth was a personal highlight, he got so mad he was slung out by the plod. After the game I was outside talking to Paul Nelson and the same fan came running at us until he was sideswiped by the smallest WPC I’d ever seen and bundled into a fence and nicked. It was the funniest thing ever. Happy days.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

east saxon gas wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:40 pm Well, you've gone and derailed what was going to be a meeting of mid-table mediocrity by hitting a bit of a run of form and pulling 8 points away from us

But we've won two of the last four, and you've one three of your last four, and you've played one more game, so the gap isn't that large

If you're interested, we've got 2 goal threats in Martin and Evans (if Evans is fit again), but not much after them. If Wilson and Taylor are fit we might have a bit of a defence, and if Ward is back we might have a bit of a midfield

O's have got to be favourites. Apparently you looked quite good down at our place

Have a good day out saxon and may the best team win.
And here's hoping for a gas leak in your defence.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

No it isn’t
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by B.whitehouse+10more »

The Reverend wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:18 am
No it isn’t
It’s one of mine 🙂
east saxon gas
Fresh Alias

Post by east saxon gas »

this is what I wrote on our forum. Please look away if not in the mood to read such things right now - I don't post to annoy...

1,117 Gas. About 1,115 of them in fine voice. We're Bristol Rovers, we don't need a drum

Nice ground, the rain stayed away

They battered us 1st 10 minutes, then we had the better of the 1st half. The goal was a peach - a super move up the left drew a foul. Then an inch-perfect cross from Evans was met by an inch-perfect glance from Martin.

They tried to respond, but I thought we looked more likely to score.

2nd half was a whole different ballgame. Their right winger was giving us the same sort of trouble as Scottie had been giving them first half.

On 60 minutes Taylor and Finley came on for Vale and brown which I took to be Matt Taylor taking the bus out of the garage.

From a distance Finley sometimes looks like a young Francis Prince. Those were the days...

Orient monopolised the play, and had hundreds of corners, but we kept reasonable shape and work rate, and they rarely came close to scoring. Their best effort was met by a great save from Ward, and the next best flashed across the face of goal

We also played brainy football at times - Ward, Martin and Finley all managing the game well.

Both teams had a good 1st touch and close control, and it was a tight match. The one classy move from Rovers provided the difference on the scoreboard.

I heard some O's on the way out saying how terrible the ref was. I thought he had a very good game, and we deserved our yellows. Don't believe anything I write though as I never noticed that Wilson had been sent off
east saxon gas
Fresh Alias

Post by east saxon gas »

B.whitehouse+10more wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:49 am
The Reverend wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:18 am
No it isn’t
It’s one of mine 🙂
someone on our forum posted that we are the league club that you have played most often since Orient was born

that person also speculates that you had your record number of corners in a league game today. It does sound plausible
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Classic away team performance. We couldn't find a way through.
Stowaway
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stowaway »

If we could score from corners we’d have beaten you 18-1. Stats don’t lie.

Really frustrating game tbh, we looked tired up front and our lack of a killer striker came back to haunt us yet again today. Really disappointing, but it’s been a good season overall considering it’s our first back at this level in an age and the huge injury issues we’ve had. The Kids aren’t up to this level yet, but at least they tried.

Too many home defeats this season though, is it that they feel the pressure a bit too much?
Lifelongfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Lifelongfan »

Their so called youth firm behaved badly tbh. 18 year olds giving it the big one. A couple of their fans were seen running away up the High Road
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

I’d rather see a group of kids ‘giving it the big one’ than a group of 40/50 year olds who should know better.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

You mean like Wellens?
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

What a weird thing to say.
east saxon gas
Fresh Alias

Post by east saxon gas »

I found the 'like Wellens' comment very amusing

I didn't see our miscreants, though there were a group just outside a pub near the station before the game, being man-marked by rozzers. Probably all over-excited at being in the Big important Smoke for the day